-
-
-
Category: Commendation
Nominee: Benevolent Thomas
Proposed by: Funkadelia
Onsite Topic

Description: The Security Council,

OBSERVING Benevolent Thomas as a prominent nation instrumental to the continuance of prevailing peace and goodwill throughout the world, having consistently championed and actively advanced such a cause for the past four years, with force whenever necessary;

ACKNOWLEDGING Benevolent Thomas is also the same administration behind that of Rhine Ruhr: a nation that has held several positions within the government of European Union;

APPLAUDING the efforts of Rhine Ruhr in bringing European Union an absolutely unparalleled increase in its Foreign Affairs outreach, as well as the growing acceptance of new nations into its folds;

RECOGNIZING Benevolent Thomas's involvement in a number of prominent defender regions of high standing and holding positions within them — past and present — such as:

Acting Chief Executive of Renegade Islands Alliance: instrumental in spearheading in the revival and rebuilding of the defender military and resident native nations, Benevolent Thomas paved the way for a renascent golden age within the region, re-mastering the outdated constitution and empowering citizen nations through the formation of the Citizen's Congress;

Colonel of 00000 A World Power: as a cornerstone of the region and its defender military in the early days of its revival, Benevolent Thomas led liberations and defenses against invader-led operations, potential and otherwise;

Delegate, Vice-Delegate, and Interior Minister of Lazarus: overseeing security of Lazarus, Benevolent Thomas greatly bolstered the morale and self-determination of Lazarene nations, helping to cultivate a new, stronger Lazarene culture and identity from the ashes;

First Warden and Founder of The Order of The Grey Wardens, going one step further than others of the defender cause by leading offensives to strike invader nations at their very hearts, mobilizing it into the largest, most active defender force of the era, and heralding a new age of defending to the world;

Commander and Founder of Fort Triumph: alongside Deadeye Jack, Land Filled With People and Eist, Benevolent Thomas strove to ensure the sovereignty of native regions;

Tactical Officer, Senator and World Assembly Delegate of 10000 Islands: organized defensive operations alongside the enrichment of the regional culture;

Vice Chancellor and Master Sergeant of The FRA: pushed for reforms to the Founderless Regions Alliance's structure that, once enacted, helped breathe new life into the FRA.

FURTHER RECOGNIZING that Benevolent Thomas has defended regions numbering in their thousands, liberated regions numbering in their hundreds, and leading defenses numbering in their dozens;

INDEBTED to Benevolent Thomas's instrumental role in the liberation, refounding and subsequent rebuilding of Australia and Hogwarts — despite being faced both times with formidable and often indomitable adversary — into vibrant and thriving communities, and incumbent service in the latter as Deputy Headmaster, controlling the nation of Benevolent aurors;

FURTHER to Benevolent Thomas for their humanitarian work in repairing badly damaged relations between 10000 Islands and The Rejected Realms, which would not be possible had there been no intervention;

LOOKING UP to Benevolent Thomas as a steadfast bulwark and irreplaceable keystone of peace in the world, which would not be the same were such an extraordinary force to be absent;

Hereby Commends Benevolent Thomas.

Please vote for, against, abstain, or present.

[wavote=the_north_pacific,sc]2016_11_11_commend_benevolent_thomas[/wavote]
[wavote=world,sc]2016_11_11_commend_benevolent_thomas[/wavote]

This resolution is nearly identical to the previous version that failed in September. We previously opposed it due to the fact it failed to consider that Benevolent Thomas encouraged division and strife between The North Pacific and other regions by misrepresenting the circumstances leading to the closure of one of our embassies, failing to correct the record even after the closure was explained. This commendation continues to assert the diplomatic prowess of the nation in question despite this. This time the commendation also credits the nation in question as having helped "cultivate a new, stronger Lazarene culture and identity from the ashes," and yet it abandoned the Delegacy of Lazarus weeks after assuming leadership of the region. Furthermore, the nation has left NationStates and will not be returning to the game, per his letter of resignation.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs encourages a vote against this resolution.

flemingovia:
Before i vote, perhaps some of you would care to make the case for me? Why so many votes against?
Probably because of his misrepresentation of the embassy closure thing.

If I had a vote, I honestly don't know which way I would vote. BT was one of the leading post-Unibot/post-UDL defenders, active and engaged in organising and defending. He formed the Grey Wardens - an Infender (that is, a 'defender' organisation that invades raider regions) region and organisation that has engaged in some dubious tactics - an attempt was made to intimidate regions like the Kingdom of Alexandria to allow the Grey Wardens to base themselves there (I believe this is largely what happened, although Raven or others can correct me), for example - whilst they have done some good. It's subjectively a good thing, I've always believed, to have a defender-aligned organisation to counter invaders using their own tactics.

I disagree with the assertions the resolution makes about Lazarus and the European Union. Lazarus was at its best in the immediate aftermath of the purge of imperialists, rather than the defender-aligned region it is today, and if European Union is so active in its foreign affairs, why did it never use its embassy with us? The clause about the FRA is downright amusing, considering the organisation has just disbanded, also.

That being said, I think I would've eventually voted for this. BT's contributions to defending fit the bill and requirements of what is usually the standard for commendations of defenders and unless we're going to start using our vast influence in the WA to repeal those commendations (please don't, WA Ministry), then I think this perhaps should pass more than it should not.

I've had my share of disagreements with BT, but it's beyond ludicrous to conceive of him as undeserving.

For.

Having looked a bit at the threads around the Benevolent THomas commendation, I think refusal to commend is a bit spiteful. He has done far more than many nations who have been commended, and most of that which he has done through his history has been positive.

How do you know for sure he will CTE in a month?

flemingovia:
NS is very hard to leave after a while.
I think it is safe to assume that he'll leave the game, if he says so. He can always return if he wants to but that's no reason for us to foresee that and to consider that possibility in the context of this proposal.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back