New BBtag: legislative additions and removals

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
At Asta's request, Elu and I have added a couple new BBtags: IN and OUT.

Code:
[in]text to be added[/in]
[out]text to be removed[/out]

text to be added
text to be removed

You can use these when presenting legislative drafts in the RA.

Also, if you have any suggestions about the formatting of IN and OUT, let us now.

In particular, we've been considering whether IN should be underlined.

I suspect it'd be better to underline insertions in order to keep the text usable if you strip (or cannot display or see) colors, but as r3n says feedback would be welcome.

i like this
i'm not a fan of this

:P

Good job, I like it. I do think bolded would be good though, particularly for the "in" code.

I would prefer bolded to italicized for inserted text >_>

Aesthetically, I'd prefer bolded to underlined, but I think it probably better serves us in general to use underlining as that is less ambiguous.

I think we are more likely to use bolding as part of the legal text, we certainly use it for all of our headings.

Underlining is sometimes used for the same purpose, though.

I find bolded text easier to pick out on a read-through, which is all we're really going for with in and out.

To make sure we know what we're talking about, let's look at an example side by side. I randomly grabbed r3n's annotated Citizenship Bill / Voting Rights Act:

Bolded[c]Underlined[c] Citizenship Bill

1. Article 2 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

Article 2. Citizenship and The Regional Assembly

1. Resident means any person with a nation in the region of The North Pacific.
2. Registered resident means any resident who is present on the Regional Forum.
Requirements for membership in the Regional Assembly citizenship will be determined by law.
2. The Regional Assembly will consist of all citizens.
4. The Regional Assembly may enact, amend or repeal laws by a majority vote.
5. The Regional Assembly may remove a government official from office by a two-thirds majority vote.
6. The number of votes required to achieve quorum for any vote of the Regional Assembly except elections will be a third of its membership equal to one third the number of legislatively active citizens.
7. The Regional Assembly will elect a Speaker every four months by a plurality vote.
8. The Speaker will administer the rules of the Regional Assembly. Where no rules exist, the Speaker may use their discretion.
9. Abstentions cast in the Regional Assembly will not be used to determine the result of any vote, but may be used for quorum and all other purposes.
10. The Speaker may appoint deputies to assist them in the execution of any of their powers and duties. Appointment of deputies may be regulated by law and the rules of the Regional Assembly.

2. Article 7, Clause 6 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

6. All government officials, with the exception of members of the Security Council, must maintain membership in the Regional Assembly citizenship while in office.

3. Article 7, Clause 10 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

10. Candidates in any election must maintain membership in the Regional Assembly citizenship for the fifteen days before immediately preceding the opening of candidacy declarations and throughout the election.

4. Chapter 3, Section 3.1, Clause 3 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

In the event that a Chief Justice has not been elected by seven days after the conclusion of a Judicial election, including the conclusion of any required run-off votes, the Chief Justice shall be the Justice who received the highest number of votes in said election. In the event of a tie for highest number of votes, the Chief Justice shall be the one among those tied with the longest period of membership in the Regional Assembly citizenship.

5. Chapter 4, Section 4.2, Clause 4 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

"Candidates" are those Regional Assembly members citizens who, during the period of the Election Cycle designated for candidacy declarations, declare themselves or accept a nomination by another Regional Assembly member citizen as a candidate for an office to be chosen at that Election Cycle.

6. Chapter 4, Section 4.3, Clause 8 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

Regional Assembly members Citizens shall be provided five days to declare their candidacy.

7. Chapter 4, Section 4.4, Clause 16 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

A minimum of two Election Commissioners will be appointed by the Delegate to oversee the candidacy declaration and election processes at least one week before the beginning of the month in which the election is to be held. If an appointment of Election Commissioners has not been made by that time, the Vice Delegate shall promptly make the appointment. Regional Assembly members Citizens serving as government officials are not excluded from appointments under this clause.

7. Chapter 6, Section 6.1 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

Section 6.1: Regional Assembly Membership Act Citizenship
  • Any person with an account on the regional forum and a nation in The North Pacific registered resident may apply for Regional Assembly membership citizenship, using their regional forum account, by providing the name of their nation in The North Pacific, and swearing an oath as follows:
I, the leader of The North Pacific nation of [INSERT YOUR TNP NATION], pledge loyalty to The North Pacific, obedience to her laws, and responsible action as a member of her society. I pledge to only register one nation to vote in The North Pacific. I pledge that no nation under my control will wage war against the North Pacific. I understand that if I break this oath I may permanently lose my voting privileges. In this manner, I petition the Speaker for citizenship in The North Pacific.
  • A copy of the laws applicants are pledging to obey must be available to them at all times.
  • An application for Regional Assembly membership citizenship ceases to be valid if at any time the applicant's declared nation in The North Pacific nation is not located in The North Pacific.
  • Forum administration will have 14 days to evaluate Regional Assembly citizenship applicants and verify that they are not using a proxy or evading a judicially-imposed penalty. The Vice Delegate will have 3 days to perform a security assessment of the applicant. All security assessments will be performed in consultation with the Security Council, and in accordance with all laws of The North Pacific.
  • The Speaker will reject applicants who fail an evaluation by either forum administration or the Vice Delegate.
  • If an applicant is rejected for failing an evaluation by the Vice Delegate, the Regional Assembly will immediately hold a majority vote on whether to uphold the rejection.
  • The Regional Assembly may overturn a previous decision to uphold the rejection of an applicant by majority vote.
  • The Speaker will accept all other applicants with valid applications.
  • The Speaker will process applications within 14 days. If an applicant has not been accepted or rejected within that time, they will be automatically accepted to the Regional Assembly granted citizenship.
  • A Regional Assembly member citizen's vote will not be valid unless they maintain Regional Assembly membership citizenship for the entire duration of the vote.
  • The Speaker will maintain a publicly viewable roster of Regional Assembly members citizens.
  • The Speaker will promptly remove any Regional Assembly members citizens whose removal is ordered by the Court, or whose nation in The North Pacific leaves or ceases to exist.
  • The Speaker's office will promptly remove any Regional Assembly members citizens who fail to fail to log in to the North Pacific forum for over 30 consecutive days; or who have not voted for 20 consecutive days and have missed four consecutive Regional Assembly votes to enact, amend or repeal laws, as determined by the time they closed. post in The North Pacific forum for over 30 consecutive days.
  • Regional Assembly members Citizens that have submitted a notice of absence, in accordance with any regulations set by the Speaker, shall be exempt from the provisions of the above clause for the stated duration of their absence.
  • Legislatively active citizens will be those citizens who have voted at least once in the last 20 consecutive days or have not missed more than three consecutive Regional Assembly votes to enact, amend or repeal laws, as determined by the time they closed.

9. Chapter 6, Section 6.2, Clause 17 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
17. All registered citizens residing in The North Pacific may request information from the Government through the Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive.

10. Chapter 6, Section 6.8, Clause 50 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
50. During an outbreak, no nation may have their status as a citizen or Regional Assembly member resident or citizen removed solely for leaving the region, so long as they return within three days of the end of the emergency.

11. Chapter 6, Section 6.8, Clause 51 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
51. Following an outbreak, the Speaker must promptly contact any citizen or Regional Assembly member resident or citizen who remains outside the region, and inform them that they are at risk of losing their status if they do not return within three days.

12. Everyone who immediately before this bill takes effect were a Regional Assembly member will be considered a citizen once the bill takes efect.

13. No part of this bill shall take effect unless all parts take effect.[c] Citizenship Bill

1. Article 2 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

Article 2. Citizenship and The Regional Assembly

1. Resident means any person with a nation in the region of The North Pacific.
2. Registered resident means any resident who is present on the Regional Forum.
Requirements for membership in the Regional Assembly citizenship will be determined by law.
2. The Regional Assembly will consist of all citizens.
4. The Regional Assembly may enact, amend or repeal laws by a majority vote.
5. The Regional Assembly may remove a government official from office by a two-thirds majority vote.
6. The number of votes required to achieve quorum for any vote of the Regional Assembly except elections will be a third of its membership equal to one third the number of legislatively active citizens.
7. The Regional Assembly will elect a Speaker every four months by a plurality vote.
8. The Speaker will administer the rules of the Regional Assembly. Where no rules exist, the Speaker may use their discretion.
9. Abstentions cast in the Regional Assembly will not be used to determine the result of any vote, but may be used for quorum and all other purposes.
10. The Speaker may appoint deputies to assist them in the execution of any of their powers and duties. Appointment of deputies may be regulated by law and the rules of the Regional Assembly.

2. Article 7, Clause 6 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

6. All government officials, with the exception of members of the Security Council, must maintain membership in the Regional Assembly citizenship while in office.

3. Article 7, Clause 10 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

10. Candidates in any election must maintain membership in the Regional Assembly citizenship for the fifteen days before immediately preceding the opening of candidacy declarations and throughout the election.

4. Chapter 3, Section 3.1, Clause 3 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

In the event that a Chief Justice has not been elected by seven days after the conclusion of a Judicial election, including the conclusion of any required run-off votes, the Chief Justice shall be the Justice who received the highest number of votes in said election. In the event of a tie for highest number of votes, the Chief Justice shall be the one among those tied with the longest period of membership in the Regional Assembly citizenship.

5. Chapter 4, Section 4.2, Clause 4 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

"Candidates" are those Regional Assembly members citizens who, during the period of the Election Cycle designated for candidacy declarations, declare themselves or accept a nomination by another Regional Assembly member citizen as a candidate for an office to be chosen at that Election Cycle.

6. Chapter 4, Section 4.3, Clause 8 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

Regional Assembly members Citizens shall be provided five days to declare their candidacy.

7. Chapter 4, Section 4.4, Clause 16 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

A minimum of two Election Commissioners will be appointed by the Delegate to oversee the candidacy declaration and election processes at least one week before the beginning of the month in which the election is to be held. If an appointment of Election Commissioners has not been made by that time, the Vice Delegate shall promptly make the appointment. Regional Assembly members Citizens serving as government officials are not excluded from appointments under this clause.

7. Chapter 6, Section 6.1 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

Section 6.1: Regional Assembly Membership Act Citizenship
  • Any person with an account on the regional forum and a nation in The North Pacific registered resident may apply for Regional Assembly membership citizenship, using their regional forum account, by providing the name of their nation in The North Pacific, and swearing an oath as follows:
I, the leader of The North Pacific nation of [INSERT YOUR TNP NATION], pledge loyalty to The North Pacific, obedience to her laws, and responsible action as a member of her society. I pledge to only register one nation to vote in The North Pacific. I pledge that no nation under my control will wage war against the North Pacific. I understand that if I break this oath I may permanently lose my voting privileges. In this manner, I petition the Speaker for citizenship in The North Pacific.
  • A copy of the laws applicants are pledging to obey must be available to them at all times.
  • An application for Regional Assembly membership citizenship ceases to be valid if at any time the applicant's declared nation in The North Pacific nation is not located in The North Pacific.
  • Forum administration will have 14 days to evaluate Regional Assembly citizenship applicants and verify that they are not using a proxy or evading a judicially-imposed penalty. The Vice Delegate will have 3 days to perform a security assessment of the applicant. All security assessments will be performed in consultation with the Security Council, and in accordance with all laws of The North Pacific.
  • The Speaker will reject applicants who fail an evaluation by either forum administration or the Vice Delegate.
  • If an applicant is rejected for failing an evaluation by the Vice Delegate, the Regional Assembly will immediately hold a majority vote on whether to uphold the rejection.
  • The Regional Assembly may overturn a previous decision to uphold the rejection of an applicant by majority vote.
  • The Speaker will accept all other applicants with valid applications.
  • The Speaker will process applications within 14 days. If an applicant has not been accepted or rejected within that time, they will be automatically accepted to the Regional Assembly granted citizenship.
  • A Regional Assembly member citizen's vote will not be valid unless they maintain Regional Assembly membership citizenship for the entire duration of the vote.
  • The Speaker will maintain a publicly viewable roster of Regional Assembly members citizens.
  • The Speaker will promptly remove any Regional Assembly members citizens whose removal is ordered by the Court, or whose nation in The North Pacific leaves or ceases to exist.
  • The Speaker's office will promptly remove any Regional Assembly members citizens who fail to fail to log in to the North Pacific forum for over 30 consecutive days; or who have not voted for 20 consecutive days and have missed four consecutive Regional Assembly votes to enact, amend or repeal laws, as determined by the time they closed. post in The North Pacific forum for over 30 consecutive days.
  • Regional Assembly members Citizens that have submitted a notice of absence, in accordance with any regulations set by the Speaker, shall be exempt from the provisions of the above clause for the stated duration of their absence.
  • Legislatively active citizens will be those citizens who have voted at least once in the last 20 consecutive days or have not missed more than three consecutive Regional Assembly votes to enact, amend or repeal laws, as determined by the time they closed.

9. Chapter 6, Section 6.2, Clause 17 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
17. All registered citizens residing in The North Pacific may request information from the Government through the Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive.

10. Chapter 6, Section 6.8, Clause 50 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
50. During an outbreak, no nation may have their status as a citizen or Regional Assembly member resident or citizen removed solely for leaving the region, so long as they return within three days of the end of the emergency.

11. Chapter 6, Section 6.8, Clause 51 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
51. Following an outbreak, the Speaker must promptly contact any citizen or Regional Assembly member resident or citizen who remains outside the region, and inform them that they are at risk of losing their status if they do not return within three days.

12. Everyone who immediately before this bill takes effect were a Regional Assembly member will be considered a citizen once the bill takes efect.

13. No part of this bill shall take effect unless all parts take effect.

Looking at the two examples, the one using bold is easier to parse.

It's true that there is a small issue due to bolding also being used for section headers. But I think there's enough context to avoid any confusion, and the easier parsing bolding offers far outweighs those issues.

So I'd go with bolding.

I prefer the bolding even more after seeing the underlined version. The underline and blue makes them all look like links, and I get confused easily.

Back