Proposal: Official Regional Anthem

Nasania

TNPer
:tnp: Adopt Anthem Now! :tnp:

After careful consideration, extensive debate and carefully structured voting and polling, I have now decided to introduce a bill to change our Legal Code to officialize our anthem. After about a decade of stability and tradition, I believe it is time to add to that noble tradition with some glorious regional music. Music to represent our region to the wider community. Music to inspire loyalty and fraternity in our people. Let's make this happen now!
Regional Anthem of the North Pacific Bill:
1. Chapter 10, Section 1 of the Legal Code will be re-titled as follows:
Section 10.1: Arms, Flag, Seal, and Anthem
2. Chapter 10, Section 1 of the Legal Code will be amended to add the following clause:
7. "Hoist the Colours" is adopted as the official anthem of the North Pacific with music from "Hoist the Colours" composed by Hans Zimmer and Gore Verbinski with Lyrics by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio.

I realize there's a link to a lyric video, but it could be nice to see it written into the legal code. I like the choice "Hoist the Colors" even without knowing much about the history of TNP. Thank you!

razzym:
I realize there's a link to a lyric video, but it could be nice to see it written into the legal code. I like the choice "Hoist the Colors" even without knowing much about the history of TNP. Thank you!
Lyrics added.

I would prefer a specially composed anthem for the region, rather than us appropriating work by another artist for another matter.

Lord Ravenclaw:
I would prefer a specially composed anthem for the region, rather than us appropriating work by another artist for another matter.
I agree that this would be ideal, assuming whatever we ourselves managed to throw together was actually good. However, at the moment, it's either 'Hoist the Colours', or that god forsaken...
flemingovia:
I don't really see the problem with the current anthem.
It's loud. It's annoying. It's ... uninteresting. At least this proposed anthem does a better job of representing us than our current anthem does.
I think.

Lord Ravenclaw:
I certainly agree, but as quak1234 pointed out, concerns about quality dictate this is the road we have to follow(that or listen to a likely mediocre composition and some potentially unpleasant vocals). Perhaps if we do promote this 'outside' anthem, we can stir enough interest in the region so that somebody will eventually compose a unique song for TNP. Basically we use this as a stepping stone for something greater. We will have to actively promote the song so it stays an active issue so eventually, by sheer probability, we'll get some musician that will compose a unique anthem for us.

In short: We use this song, Hypothetical Random Anthem Composer asks "Why are we using that song?! That's it I'm making a unique song for this region." And there we go, we get our own song. At the moment this issue is barely on the radar. According to my 'calculations', the chance of success is virtually 1.

In the meantime we've got a good song to provisionally represent our region that fits with our culture. Sounds like a win-win strategy to me. :D

Flemingovia:
I don't really see the problem with the current anthem.
Well only 30% voted for the current anthem, plus Democracy has spoken, My poll said 'Hoist the colours' should be the anthem. Plus it's more appropriate to our region.

razzym:
@Nasinia...not much action at the moment. Maybe time to move for formal debate?

Well seeing as the legislation is basically set and there's not much discussion, I move to Formal Debate.

I definitely disagree with having the words of the song in the constitution. It bloats the document, is unnecessary and renders it inflexible.

I will be voting against.

I urge for the Speaker to refrain from formal debate. Such an important part of The North Pacific's cultural identity requires more than a rushed bill and discussion.

Flemingovia:
I definitely disagree with having the words of the song in the constitution. It bloats the document, is unnecessary and renders it inflexible.

I will be voting against.

Lord Ravenclaw:
I urge for the Speaker to refrain from formal debate. Such an important part of The North Pacific's cultural identity requires more than a rushed bill and discussion.
Hmm Ok, yeah it is a bit fast, and seeing as discussion has increased, I retract move to formal debate

So how do you propose the bill should look then? I could stick the lyrics in as a spoiler so it compromises between those who want lyrics in the bill, and those who don't. I initially didn't want to put lyrics in for the reasons Flemingovia mentions above.

I do not feel that this should be in the Constitution or Legal Code. I feel this should be a standard Act of Government/Resolution passed by the RA or as an executive policy issued by the Delegate.

Lord Ravenclaw:
Hmm Ok, yeah it is a bit fast, and seeing as discussion has increased, I retract move to formal debate

Noted, though I will say that I would have accepted the motion.

Lord Ravenclaw:
I do not feel that this should be in the Constitution or Legal Code. I feel this should be a standard Act of Government/Resolution passed by the RA or as an executive policy issued by the Delegate.
I feel that at most it should be informal or by delegate declaration (and could be changed as needed). I completely agree that it should not be in the legal code or in the constitution.

That said - I also do not see any use for this. It is completely unnecessary and will not be utilised in any fashion. The flag and coat of arms have a practical use. This does not.

Tl;dr completely against.

I do feel that generally, symbols that go to the region's identity belong in the Constitution, or at least in the Legal Code. It's something that we want as many people as possible to have a say over.

On the other hand, I don't think that an anthem is really an important part of this, and really almost any, region's identity. The reasons are plain: It's not displayed anywhere prominent on the region's page, it's not something people usually coalesce around, the fact that they're not specifically-made make them generic, most people won't necessarily identify with the lyrics, etc.

Just leave it to the Delegate, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree that perhaps the lyrics should be removed from the bill. The video that is linked has the lyrics in the description; it is enough.
Sure, perhaps it wouldn't get much practical use, but it would a) Be a better anthem for representing our regional culture and identity, and b) Would at least be more well known from having it written into the law than having people just happen to stumble upon a poll from two years ago. And if we end up coming up with a better anthem later, we can always just change the anthem again.

quak1234:
I agree that perhaps the lyrics should be removed from the bill. The video that is linked has the lyrics in the description; it is enough.
Sure, perhaps it wouldn't get much practical use, but it would a) Be a better anthem for representing our regional culture and identity, and b) Would at least be more well known from having it written into the law than having people just happen to stumble upon a poll from two years ago. And if we end up coming up with a better anthem later, we can always just change the anthem again.
I agree with quak1234 above, and I'll take the Lyrics out of the bill so it provides more flexibility.

There is one purpose that anthems achieve that is being neglected: anthems foster esprit de corps(a feeling of pride, fellowship, and common loyalty shared by the members of a particular group). Music can speak better than words at times. Especially in periods of crisis. I have done a poll and most do like the song that is in the bill(whether it should be legalized is the issue at dispute).
Guy did point out something valid, about it not appealing to a majority of the residents, but a well-crafted poll and a vote on the issue can fix this issue. As for sounding Generic, if the song's good enough it should circumvent that to some degree(look at how many times God Save the Queen has been used, yet many still rate the song fairly high). At the moment no other region uses Hoist the Colours. We'd be the first Feeder, to my knowledge, to adopt an official anthem into their legal documents and it would make our region unique among the GCRs. It may not be necessary, but it certainly adds flavor to our region that's absent in other regions.

We could link it on the WFE giving it some ready exposure for residents to check out(TWP has almost done precisely this but instead of an anthem it's a library of regional songs). Easy way to promote it. Other regions have used anthems and promoted it in such a manner.(The Communist Bloc promotes theirs on their Youtube channel).

To Flemingovia: This bill would alter the Legal code, not the constitution.
The poll served two purposes: One to find which song is the least despised by the ranking method(which I think worked pretty well), and 2: Experiment with a different method of voting than the majority take all system. I used two methods, one where you have two votes you can use so if you want to pick more than one song you can, and the ranking system. Both polls, Hoist the Colours won.

With regards to Delegate choosing anthem: Its Pro is that it is easy and simple to accomplish. Cons is 1: likely to be forgotten about as soon as the new delegate comes into office(Syrixia, quack1234, and others didn't even know we had one since June of 2 years ago) and 2:may not appeal to the residents of the region(it's a bit arbitrary method of decision).. Basically less consistent over time.

As for it not being composed by a TNP citizen, that issue has been discussed and I'm open to someone composing an anthem, but so far no one has produced anything as of yet. I tried to compromise with this by writing TNP lyrics to several songs(which didn't win my poll).

I suppose a way to compose a unique anthem for TNP easily(given that our region doesn't have any musicians from the look of it but plenty of lyricists) would be to take a well known song then rearrange the notes; cutting part of it and inserting parts of another song that will easily flow with it(say change a chorus), write Lyrics for that and promote the new song. Perhaps change an octave on various themes in the music. That way the song sounds a little unique, but a little similar to established anthems of the Past. Tchaikovsky did that alot in his music. The problem there would be syncing it so it sounds right and being confident of one's own abilities to accomplish this task. Yugoslavia did this with Poland's anthem. Hawaii used their own musical system to modify God Save the Queen for one of their anthems.

All that being said, I think a resolution by the Regional Assembly is good way to go and I'm open to seeing that done. However I also like the idea of a formal vote on the issue as it seems less arbitrary. If the RA wants to do a 3rd poll then I would recommend allowing the ability to vote for more than one song(some people can't decide which song is better). In addition allow an option in the poll that says "no anthem".

One way to settle this is the Delegate authorizes a competition on the NS mainpage and invites people from across Nationstates to Compose the music for our region.

flemingovia:
How does any of this need a change to the legal code?
It's not a 'change', but a noble addition to our traditions! The current legal code stays the same as it always has, this bill just adds to the basic legal code. It doesn't change anything.

It also provides consistency for future generations of TNPers. Something to look back on and see where TNP has been.

quak1234:
How else will it become the national anthem?
through use.

The (RL) British National anthem does not appear anywhere in our laws, cultural apparatus or legislation. It is our national anthem because it is used as our national anthem.

Britain doesn't even have a written constitution, so it's in their tradition not to have it codified. Imperial Japan also did the same thing. Other nations, like Bhutan and the China, codify it. TNP tradition is to codify regional symbols.

As for Use I agree, however, we have 'used' other songs in the past and they are blatantly forgotten about the first few weeks. Officializing it by using a law will prevent that from happening.

Another way to do it is put it on the WFE, problem there is it will be determined by degelatorial whim, which is less consistent. I'll add that "The Anthem will be proudly displayed on the WFE in the manner the Delegate chooses" to the bill.

As for need? It makes our region distinct and it spurs some much needed interest, along with functioning as a declaration of what we're about. No other GCR has an official anthem.

Plenty of UCRs have anthems, but that's probably because they have more need of it because UCRs have a fragile life(disinterest=death for them). GCRs are part of the game and therefore artificially kept alive, even when they are practically nonactive.

There is also the fun aspect to it as well, Even if it isn't vitally necessary, it does provide something fun for our region to accomplish.

Besides, we can't let another GCR beat us in the race to an anthem? eventually one of them will officialize their own. This is vital Regional Security concern. we have to close our anthem gap before it even occurs.

"I'll add that "The Anthem will be proudly displayed on the WFE in the manner the Delegate chooses" to the bill."

Suggests that you will compel my office to do that with this bill, when there is already a premium on space for the WFE. I strongly advise against that.

Lord Ravenclaw:
"I'll add that "The Anthem will be proudly displayed on the WFE in the manner the Delegate chooses" to the bill."

Suggests that you will compel my office to do that with this bill, when there is already a premium on space for the WFE. I strongly advise against that.
Oh hadn't thought of that. It's fixed now.

Besides, we can't let another GCR beat us in the race to an anthem? eventually one of them will officialize their own. This is vital Regional Security concern. we have to close our anthem gap before it even occurs.
It's probably been done before, and I couldn't care less if someone else does it again.

Nasania:
TNP tradition is to codify regional symbols.
It's usually via a non-legislative bill though. That said, if we can codify a state religion (hardly a regional symbol imo), I'm ok with a national anthem. I support this.

quak1234:
In the interests of Continuity of Links, I feel compelled to point out that videos disappear all the time, whether because the site goes away or the poster removes them or the copyright holder insists. It is a bad idea to put an outside link in the Constibillicode when we have no control over its continued existence.

quak1234:
How else will it become the national anthem?
I'd be fine with the RA adopting it via resolution. However, I don't see the need to codify it into the Constibillicode.

I would prefer, however, to leave it as it is until someone decides to create an original for TNP. If the current one is that bad it's bound to happen sooner or later.

SillyString:
quak1234:
In the interests of Continuity of Links, I feel compelled to point out that videos disappear all the time, whether because the site goes away or the poster removes them or the copyright holder insists. It is a bad idea to put an outside link in the Constibillicode when we have no control over its continued existence.
This I agree with, and I'm unsure what to do about it.

EDIT: Oh wait we could just remove the link lol.

quak1234:
SillyString:
quak1234:
This I agree with, and I'm unsure what to do about it.

EDIT: Oh wait we could just remove the link lol.
Fixed.

Back