TED talk on flag design

Huh. The only rule I broke with my flag(s) is possibly rule 2, because I have 4 colors on a couple of them.

My city's flag was included in the brief slide in this TED talk depicting atrocious flags, and since its publication a contest is ongoing to design a new one. Most of the submissions are just as terrible as the one we have currently.

In NS, Myroria's flag hangs vertically as a banner. This would probably be an aberration in real-life because vertical flags do not hang off ships nicely. Where banners exist, they're usually used alongside the normal, rectangular flag - like in Germany or Slovakia.

Kind of related to this subject is the coat of arms for the kingdom of Jerusalem. It was one of the earliest widely used arms for a kingdom and it breaks the rules. It is metal on metal having gold crosses on a silver background and yet it's a very distinct symbol.

I guess if you're going to break the rules, at least know what the rules are first and break them only because it makes your flag more distinctive. I mean my flag has four colors and a pretty complex design, but I think it could easily be drawn by a child.

Coat of Arms are different than flags. They don't follow the same set of rules for simplicity/complexity.

Yeraennus:
Coat of Arms are different than flags. They don't follow the same set of rules for simplicity/complexity.
Heraldry doesn't have the same set of rules that vexillology does, but it does have very strict rules.

Heraldry rules were meant to be read, that's why they are strict, and some violations, as Esplandia mentions, have a meaning (since metals are noble in heraldry, a noble cross on a noble field, makes a meaningful exception for the holy lands). Other exceptions, like Arms of Stark on GoT being a grey [?] wolf on a white field... Well, I think I closed the book at that page and put it down forever lol

Also, vexillology "comes" from heraldry. The rules of simplicity is actually good practice in heraldry.

Also I think both Yerannus' and Myroria's flags/banner follow the rules and look great and distinctive.

Lennart:
...like Arms of Stark on GoT being a grey [?] wolf on a white field... Well, I think I closed the book at that page and put it down forever lol
I'm sure you're joking, but why would one expect a fantasy world to be bound to European rules of heraldry?

Piscivore:
Lennart:
...like Arms of Stark on GoT being a grey [?] wolf on a white field... Well, I think I closed the book at that page and put it down forever lol
I'm sure you're joking, but why would one expect a fantasy world to be bound to European rules of heraldry?
I'm kind of joking (I did not like the book though) but the reason why they "should" is because they're also common sense rules, keeping contrast in mind and stuff.

/ Exactly.

I thoroughly agree with pretty much everything said in the lecture.

I am currently flying a rainbow variant for #loveislove, but my two base flags are both 2 colours, one symbol.

Surprisingly, my flag actually didn't violate any rules, probably considering it wasn't made by me lol.

Back