At Vote:[GA] Repeal "Rights and Duties of WA States" [Complete]

Repeal "Rights and Duties of WA States"
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.
Category: Repeal
Resolution: GA#2
Proposed by: Railana

Description: WA General Assembly Resolution #2: Rights and Duties of WA States (Category: Political Stability; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: Strongly affirming the need for a collection of World Assembly resolutions that clearly delineate the basic rights and responsibilities of member states,

Regretting that the numerous flaws present in GAR #2, "Rights and Duties of WA States", necessitate its repeal,

Condemning the target resolution's morally repugnant conception of war, which is that war is permissible so long as it is consensual,

Shocked that this conception of war effectively legalizes armed conflict between two or more mutual aggressors, in which each party wishes to take control over the others’ territory, population or resources, because such a war is technically consensual,

Appalled that this conception of war also forbids military activity necessary for the maintenance of international security and the protection of human rights, such as peacemaking operations and humanitarian interventions, because not all parties consent to the conflict,

Distressed that the target resolution forbids nations from any unrequested intervention in the sovereign affairs of other nations, regardless of whether such intervention is justified, as in the case of peacemaking operations and humanitarian intervention,

Alarmed that the target resolution's requirement that resolutions be implemented in "good faith" is sufficiently vague as to permit the effective circumvention of resolutions through sincere yet invalid interpretations of resolutions, while prohibiting the World Assembly from passing a separate resolution governing the legitimate interpretation of resolutions,

Concerned that the target resolution prevents the World Assembly from taking or supporting any military action whatsoever, even in circumstances where the target member state consents to such intervention, as in the case of peacekeeping,

The General Assembly,

Repeals GAR #2, "Rights and Duties of WA States".

Please vote: For, Against, Abstain, or Present.

As a reminder a For vote indicates that you want the original resolution stricken from the lawbooks.

Reserved for MoWAA Recommendation

TNP has a history of opposing each and every attempt made by Auralia (aka Railana, author of this repeal) to remove this legislation from the books. The arguments may change slightly, but this is still an obvious and unrelenting desire to remove one of the core documents from the GA annals.

We recommend a vote against this repeal.

Mousebumples:
TNP has a history of opposing each and every attempt made by Auralia (aka Railana, author of this repeal) to remove this legislation from the books. The arguments may change slightly, but this is still an obvious and unrelenting desire to remove one of the core documents from the GA annals.

We recommend a vote against this repeal.
For the record, I only tried once before a year ago -- in the second attempt Mousebumples is referring to, Douria used my repeal text independently and for malicious ends.

Of course I have an "obvious and unrelenting desire" to repeal GAR #2. The resolution is completely awful. It's plagiarized, it's illegal for metagaming, it enshrines a thoroughly immoral conception of war in World Assembly law... I can't understand how anyone can support keeping it on the books.

Mousebumples:
The arguments may change slightly, but this is still an obvious and unrelenting desire to remove one of the core documents from the GA annals.
Emphasis mine. That is a silly argument. GAR#2 actually has no impact on the game currently. It is merely a codification of the current rule set. Its existence with the current rule set in place is largely symbolic. Appealing to its longevity is not really a compelling reason to keep it on the books. However, there are reasons to repeal it. For example, it is plagiarized in its entirety - that, on its own, should merit a repeal. Regardless of how you feel about the no army rule (full disclosure, I have no strong views either way and think the controversy surrounding the issue is inexplicable), there are objective, if OOC, reasons to vote for this repeal.

For.

Oh wait I got confused lol. :P

Against.

[me] should not post while in zombie mode.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back