Falapatorius for Justice

NS Background:

I was founded in TNP, and have remained here for 2+ years. I've been an RA member pretty much since I joined the off-site forum, and contributed to various discussions. My only experience in the Executive Staff was serving as ambassador to Mordor for a short time. I was Deputy AG to Gracius Maximus for a half term (the team successfully prosecuted a Gross Misconduct case), and I was elected AG the following term. Legislative discussion/debate has always interested me, and I suppose seeking a Justice position is a logical progression from Attorney General.

Judicial Leanings:

I wouldn't characterize myself as an *activist* type of Justice. I have no legal agenda other than what the Justice position entails. Legislative change is the purview of the RA. My approach to criminal trials is to let the facts speak for themselves. The Legal Code is quite clear on criminal offences. Creative interpretation should be discouraged imo. A crime is a crime. Period. A defendant's political status in NS/TNP would have no bearing on a case I may be tasked with. Granted, that's relatively easy for me to do as I'm not what you'd call an NS/TNP insider (as it were). I don't use IRC, but that's not to say I'm inactive though. I login to the forum at least once a day, multiple times on the RMB. I've even dipped my toes in the roiling waters of the NS Gameplay forum on rare occasions. :headbang: I will be around if needed.

Requests for Review require a different approach. The issue at hand needs to be measured against the Constibillicode, and precedent is a factor (unless that is being reviewed). As opposed to criminal matters, which are clearly spelt out for the most part, R4Rs sometimes deal with vague areas in the Law (loopholes in some instances). Part of the Court's mandate is to resolve conflicts and ambiguities in the Law. A straight line approach would be counterproductive in that sense. Consensus among the Justices is ideal, so a degree of flexibility would be beneficial and in the best interests of the region.

Comments:

It is good to see more than 3 candidates running this cycle. I wish them all luck. Feel free to ask questions, but I will respectfully decline to answer any questions about how I would rule in a hypothetical case. It may come up before the Court, and I'd have to recuse myself. Thank you.

* to all the tl;dr folks.. vote for me! :P *

Suppose you and your fellow Court members were all ejected by the Delegate. Would you believe you needed to recuse yourself regarding a request for review of the Delegate's actions? Of charges of Gross Misconduct?

Can one enter into Conspiracy with oneself?

Is Chewbacca from the planet Kashyyyk?

A question, if I may: What gives you an edge over your opponents that makes you deserving of a vote?

Eluvatar:
Suppose you and your fellow Court members were all ejected by the Delegate. Would you believe you needed to recuse yourself regarding a request for review of the Delegate's actions? Of charges of Gross Misconduct?
Just for clarification, I'm presuming you meant illegally ejected?

I would recuse myself in both instances, as I have a vested interest in either outcome. Not to mention I'd more than likely be the petitioner in any R4R (definitely an affected party), and the first in line to file charges with the AG. This scenario would likely break the Legal Code though. The provisions regarding ejections, recusal of Justices, and appointments of THOs would all collide in one gigantic... well, you know.

Eluvatar:
Can one enter into Conspiracy with oneself?
Well, RL definitions of conspiracies are:

(civil), an agreement between persons to deceive, mislead, or defraud others of their legal rights or to gain an unfair advantage.
(criminal), an agreement between persons to break the law in the future, in some cases having committed an act to further that agreement.
(political), an agreement between persons with the goal of gaining political power or meeting a political objective.

The key phrase is an agreement between persons. So.. no. One cannot enter into a conspiracy with oneself (in RL). One could argue that people with multiple personality disorders can, but these personalities are contained within the same individual. :P

That does remind me of our Legal Code provision on this though:

TNP Legal Code:
Section 1.7. Conspiracy

22. "Conspiracy" is defined as planning, attempting, or helping to commit any crime under this criminal code.
The language here could use some touching up. On the surface, planning or attempting to commit any crime could apply to an individual. I don't know if that was the intent with that provision though. :unsure:

Anyway.. in RL, the answer is no. In TNP.. Maybe?

Eluvatar:
Is Chewbacca from the planet Kashyyyk?
Why yes, yes he is. Btw.. thanks for that question. I consulted Wiki to make sure, and got involved in the whole damn Star Wars story. :@*!:

Bootsie:
A question, if I may: What gives you an edge over your opponents that makes you deserving of a vote?
A good question. I don't know if I have an edge over any of my opponents (certainly not Silly anyway). The candidates in this field all have varying degrees of experience. I'm somewhere in the middle I think. Hmm.. an edge though? Writing skills perhaps (if that matters). Attention to detail comes to mind. Hard to say really. I think my OP pretty much gives you an idea of what to expect from me.

As to being deserving of a vote, I'll quote Clint Eastwood from the Unforgiven: "Deserve's got nothin to do with it."

Thanks for your questions, both of you. Apologies for the tl;dr nature of my response.

falapatorius:
I'm presuming you meant illegally ejected?
I originally wrote the question that way, but then I realized that that'd be something the Court would be in the position to decide, so it didn't particularly make sense to give you an answer to that question for free :P

falapatorius:
This scenario would likely break the Legal Code though. The provisions regarding ejections, recusal of Justices, and appointments of THOs would all collide in one gigantic... well, you know.
Well that seems concerning.

Why do you think the current law would break, exactly, and how would you suggest we think about correcting this?

falapatorius:
Thanks for your questions, both of you. Apologies for the tl;dr nature of my response.

You have nothing to apologize for.

Eluvatar:
Why do you think the current law would break, exactly, and how would you suggest we think about correcting this?
Oops sorry, that was a lighthearted exaggeration, not a cause for alarm. :blush: This situation could cause a unique headache imo. I'd rather not get into specifics though. I would suggest you read Section 3.2 of the Legal Code to see if it stands out for you. Yeah.. I know, I'm not really answering you, but change is best left for an R4R or the RA.

Barbarossistan:
what sort of program for the court, if any, would you seek as Justice?
Well, the Court can modify it's own rules, but that's internal and requires a majority vote among Justices. I'm open to any changes of course, but I'm not actively seeking to make any.

You are accused of heresy on three counts -- heresy by thought, heresy by word, heresy by deed, and heresy by action- FOUR counts.

Do you confess?

Back