(OOC) Rose Union: Declaration of Neutrality

There is no distinction between Sadakoyama's military and the administration of our University, which in turn is virtually synonymous with our country and our society in general. Our research centers, especially after Westmark, are essentially military bases. Should the time come that our help is requested in your lands, either for emergency or research cooperation purposes, would this present a problem?

The Rose Forum (the overarching government) can make exceptions to the law but they are rare. In your case however, due to the nature of your nations scientific community being entirely intertwined with the military and society as a whole, an exception will be made on the grounds of humanitarianism. As such, Sadakoyama is granted an exception for emergency situations. Lastly, research cooperation is handled on a case by case basis and as such there is no problem at this time.

Given how spread out the three nations you occupy are (correct me if I'm wrong), i'm interested to know how this neutrality will affect conflicts that occur around your nations either in the ocean or in nearby lands. Would the Rose union still maintain it's neutrality even when it's neighbours are threatened or when vessels are passing too close to your shores? I note that you mention your borders/water boundaries specifically.

Plus don't you have a huge military of approximately 750, 000 troops?

Both Kalti and Andalucia are on the extreme reaches of the region and tend to be far removed from conflicts. Only Callaici is centrally located enough to be of some concern when conflicts arise. Also, the largest military is Kalti which stands at roughly 285,000 soldiers while the smallest military is Andalucia which stands at roughly 150,000 soldiers. The military is primarily used as an armed deterrent against external threat. Neutrality will be maintained as the citizens of the three countries do not want to get involved in world conflicts. As to ships passing by our border? So long as they do not stray into sovereign waters (as mentioned), they will be allowed to pass.

Take note that I tend to not get involved much in conflicts as is so this is just reinforcing that notion.

It is just a lot of neutral land mass when it is all so spread out. I probably won't sign this at this point, but may consider it in future.

I understand... Just to put landmass size in perspective... Even putting all three of my nations together, they still take up a smaller area than the entirety of your nation. But I do agree that it is quite a bit of neutral territory spread throughout the region.

Nightsong:
I understand... Just to put landmass size in perspective... Even putting all three of my nations together, they still take up a smaller area than the entirety of your nation. But I do agree that it is quite a bit of neutral territory spread throughout the region.
I realise what I said probably came across as.. odd. I meant basically the spread of the nations across the North Pacific. If they were in the same geographical location it'd be more workable.

I am also interested though to hear how you intend to RP as a neutral nation. SDKY has a very unique way of approaching it. Given your nation has traditionally been very active in international institutions and the like, how will you RP this moving forward? Do you think it will be limiting?

Actually, up until the Rhuvanland affair I was barely involved with the Democratic Union. As for the NPTO, I was much more involved due to my role as Chair but with that stagnating, I've decided to go in this direction. Keep in mind that even when I was involved in the international organizations or alliances I tended to play a more peaceful role and have my nation act as mediators if chosen to help. Going forward, I'm going to role play my nations from a humanitarian perspective and I might expand it to include peacekeeping missions but that's still in the works and not finalized. Not much has changed since I've barely gotten involved in any conflicts in the past.

If I intended to break neutrality, I would have sent my military. But no... I called up peacekeeping forces who were called up during a time of crisis in the region. At the moment they are helping my nations police to keep calm and help any refugees who show up. And as my note mentions, I offered the use of my peacekeepers as a neutral party to help oversee the end of the war. Lastly, in line with the stated goal of humanitarian aid, the peacekeeping forces called upon are the one who oversee that. They won't act at the moment but I now have made it more clear on what aid my nation can offer.

Essentially, I am using a mixture of Swiss and Swedish neutrality and their participation in UN Peacekeeping and adapting it into something a little different and unique for my nations. If you feel that is breaking neutrality, so be it but in my mind unless I actively send in military forces into a conflict I haven't broken anything I wrote.

You've also sent peacekeepers without international sanctioning though. That would be the difference in my eyes. Call a military peacekeepers if you like, but to so soon be engaged in a war after declaring neutrality seems odd.

They haven't been sent anywhere other than the nation's where they are from nor are they engaged in humanitarian aid in foreign states. Nothing will happen unless the nation's involved in this current conflict ask for the help of my peacekeepers. They are currently called up and ready to go should they be needed. And why is it odd? I clearly stated that a goal of the armed neutrality was to offer humanitarian aid in times of conflict. That's exactly what I am doing. It shouldn't be odd or a surprise.

For those curious as to how many peacekeepers have been called up in response to this Rhuvanland affair, I have called up three divisions which equal 3,250 personnel across three nations. That's a drop in the bucket when you consider my military size across all three nations totals 645,000 personnel (that's between my military, air force, navy and peacekeepers). I'm nowhere near the point of having my nations prepared for war. They are simply preparing to help with humanitarian aid should it be required at the conclusion of war and asked for by the other nations in the region.

Back