[GA] [VERY ROUGH DRAFT] Reduction of Statelessness

Kaboom

TNPer
Reduction of Statelessness​
Category: Human Rights | Strength: Significant | Proposed By: Kaboomlandia

This esteemed World Assembly,

Applauding the work this body has done previously to protect refugees,

Recognizing, though, that many sapient beings have no nationality and thus are not protected by said legislation,

Baffled, however, that no extant resolution exists on the matter of statelessness,

Realizing that several everyday actions are extremely difficult or impossible without a nationality, such as completing financial transactions, travelling across national borders, or obtaining valid identification,

Worried that sapient beings without a nationality could be denied basic rights due to their lack of a nationality,

The World Assembly hereby enacts the following,

1. "Nationality", for the purposes of this resolution, shall be defined as belonging to a particular state under the normal operation of that state's law.
  2. "Statelessness", for the purposes of this resolution, shall be defined as the lack of any nationality.
  3. "State", for the purposes of this resolution, shall be defined as the nation in which the stateless person(s) reside.
  4. This act shall apply to all sapient beings that are stateless as defined by clause 2, except for those facing trial or convicted with crimes against international cooperation.
  5. Should a child be born in a state where they would otherwise be stateless, or on a ship or airplane flagged to that state, the state shall be obligated to grant nationality to that person.
  6. Should a stateless person be legally incapable of assuming their birth nationality, and at least one parent held the nationality of the country in which the stateless person resides, the state shall be obligated to grant nationality.
  7. The Global Emigration, Security, Transport and Passport Organization (GESTAPO) shall be obligated to provide the following to stateless persons within their borders:
    • Social aid;
    • Economic assistance;
    • Legal aid;
    • Identity documents to allow freedom of movement within the state; and
    • Assistance to assimilate or naturalize into the state or another country of their choosing.
  8. No stateless person shall be expelled or their property confiscated solely for being stateless. In addition, statelessness may not be prohibited in any member state.

Co-authored by [nation=short]Theoden Sebastian[/nation].

This gets a bit legalese - any way I can make it more user-friendly?

I'm also not totally sure about the order of the last five clauses. If you have a suggestion for the order, I'd love to hear it.

I have the same draft up in the Euro forums, so if changes come out of nowhere, that's probably where they came from.

EDIT: Remembered about GESTAPO and put it in. They now have to provide all that stuff to stateless people.

Syrixia:
Why is it called the GESTAPO? XD
I didn't come up with it. It's an old committee. It's the Global Emigration, Security, Transport and Passport Organization. Works nicely for the purposes of this draft. :P

Kaboom:
Syrixia:
I didn't come up with it. It's an old committee. It's the Global Emigration, Security, Transport and Passport Organization. Works nicely for the purposes of this draft. :P
How about we remove a letter and make it GESTPO. Might avoid the... yeah...

EDIT: wait, is this a thing that someone actually made (referring to the organization)? as an acronym for an NS WA organization? wow...

fortunado:
Kaboom:
Syrixia:
How about we remove a letter and make it GESTPO. Might avoid the... yeah...

EDIT: wait, is this a thing that someone actually made (referring to the organization)? as an acronym for an NS WA organization? wow...
Yep. Check out GA #76. :P

mcmasterdonia:
Not a fan of the GESTAPO name really, but if that is a committee etc that already exists... so be it.
I can't tell if that's either inconsiderate and offensive to have the committee named that or if it's comedic gold because it actually exists in a resolution. I think it's both. :lol:

mcmasterdonia:
Not a fan of the GESTAPO name really, but if that is a committee etc that already exists... so be it.
I'm not a huge fan of it either, but the committee works for my purposes and I don't really want to make a new one just for this resolution. Blame Cobdenia.

Back