DRAFT- Stories of TNP: Discussion -DRAFT

moce-seal.png

Stories of TNP ~Third Edition Discussion~

Hey guys!

It's TGR here, the Minister of Culture and Entertainment. Or the former Minister of Culture and Entertainment - hello to the future, do you have decreasing unemployment rates yet? Anyway, this is the discussion thread for the Stories of TNP program here at the Ministry of Culture and Entertainment!

This is where you can discuss featured works - both TNP forum threads and factbooks of TNP nations, in this 3rd Edition (wow! so fancy!). You can also make nominations here! To make a nomination, please include a link to the thread or factbook, as follows:

Code:
[b]Nomination:[/b] (URL goes here)

If you want to see the official announcements for the 3rd Edition of Stories of TNP, we have an Announcements thread, right (in the future!)

If you want to see the announcements and the discussion for the 2nd Edition of Stories of TNP, take a gander at the 2nd Edition!

Date [c] Thread [c] Author
[c] September 18th - 25th [c] McM Pol Crisis [International Response thread] [c] McMasterdonia
[c] September 26th - October 3rd [c] Remembering Better Days [c] SillyString and The Grim Reaper (Imperium Augustum)
[c] October 4th - October 11th [c] Conference on the Status of Shei Ren [c] Syrixia and Nebula (The Watching Nebula)
[c] October 12th - October 21th [c] State Funeral: Matilda II of McMasterdonia [c] McMasterdonia
[c] October 22th - October 29th [c] Guslantis is Ours [c] Bootsie (Guslantis)

Date [c] Work [c] Author

Without a doubt in my mind I suggest The Rise of the National Sonacist Party.

This was originally in the public forum, but I moved it here when I heard of a suggestion by Asta, and a similar suggestion by Madjack, that may form the backbone of a new Third Edition.

I kept this one up in case I discarded the idea, but I'm thinking that idea was worth pursuing. In essence, the idea is to make Stories of TNP into a workshop, of sorts. The Stories will become short writing prompts for people to make one-off posts about their nation or the TNP RP world. There will be a discussion thread for people to discuss ways to improve those posts, and people are allowed to edit and polish their posts. At the end of the workshop, each month, a winner will be selected, as the one that has best responded to the ideas and concepts outlined in the writing prompt.

So Stories of TNP, as an RP thread feature, will probably not be making a return during this term. It may return next term, but for now, I want to focus on the writing workshop.

Stories of TNP shouldn't be a writing class. It should be a gallery for exemplary factbooks and RP threads. This is how it's been and it shouldn't change, especially not into a writing class. If you want a writing class, let's talk to McM and Education about a lecture in TNP University and a writing class there.

Syrixia:
Stories of TNP shouldn't be a writing class. It should be a gallery for exemplary factbooks and RP threads. This is how it's been and it shouldn't change, especially not into a writing class. If you want a writing class, let's talk to McM and Education about a lecture in TNP University and a writing class there.
We did. His opinion, as is mine, is that RP workshops should be within the purview of Culture.

I also think that it would work well as part of that workshop - to feature particularly well written responses. I'll certainly organise RP lectures, and this could well coincide with that, but I think it's better within the purview of culture, with the possibility that participants could win awards/recognition for their efforts.

Then if it is in the purview of Culture, we should keep it seperate from Stories of TNP. This suggested writing class should be to teach people to improve their posts and/or use writing strategies. Stories of TNP is a gallery for the the successes of TNP RP, while this class should be a guide for how to write good RP posts in the first place.

We're looking at changing Stories of TNP to keep it interesting and dynamic. That is not to say we won't again feature good RPs, but there is no compelling reason why we must continue to do it for every week of every year.

Offering awards and recognition for well written posts that meet the standards of Grim's competitions will be a good way of approaching this, and will potentially regenerate interest from game side nations. Just give it a shot, eh?

mcmasterdonia:
We're looking at changing Stories of TNP to keep it interesting and dynamic. That is not to say we won't again feature good RPs, but there is no compelling reason why we must continue to do it for every week of every year.

Offering awards and recognition for well written posts that meet the standards of Grim's competitions will be a good way of approaching this, and will potentially regenerate interest from game side nations. Just give it a shot, eh?
Ultimately it's not the posts that matter in the end. It's the story and how well it all fits together. If a group of one-line posts made a better story than a group of completely unrelated wall-of-text posts, I'd reward the one-line posters who made that story. Quality over quantity applies here. The quality of the overall story matters more than the quantity of details and content in one long post.

That is in traditional RP. Grim is talking about a challenge that will be useful in changing the way some RPers write. I agree with you that quality is more important than quantity, but I think you're misapplying it in this case. We're looking for people who can provide a detailed and thoughtful response to an RP post which will likely have a broad setting set by the Minister.

In one good RP thread, all of the posts will not be excellent. But there might be a couple that are. This is about people improving their writing generally, and being aware of what is expected of good RP. This has huge potential at improving the writing and RP skills of many TNPers, which his why it will go so well with my education initiative.

mcmasterdonia:
In one good RP thread, all of the posts will not be excellent. But there might be a couple that are. This is about people improving their writing generally, and being aware of what is expected of good RP.
All due respect, but since when was it the government's job as well as the job of the most experienced RPers to set official, ethical standards for RP? It is the job of the people participating in the RP, especially the OP, to set those standards.

This seems to me like you guys want to turn what is a gallery for exemplary RP threads, factbooks, etc. into a writing class as well as a big fat "you need to work on your writing if you don't get on here" sign. This isn't writing class. RP is not a school paper. RP is supposed to be fun.

Fun is the primary, most sacred element here; not writing quality or even the coherence and quality of the overall story, though the coherence and quality of the overall story should be mentioned and comes as a close second. That is why we RP. That is why RP exists. Making nations and interacting with other nations is fun.

The winning threads or factbooks of Stories of TNP should be the most fun/enjoyable to read and should have the best overall story. Those two qualities are what make books IRL rememberable and they are what will make the winning threads and factbooks rememberable as well.

If you guys want to do a writing challenge, please, in the name of TNP RP, keep it seperate from Stories of TNP.

You're being melodramatic.

Nobody is attempting to force anyone to participate, or attempting to remove the fun.

You RP to the setting Grim gets you, and the creativity is all your own from there. The best one, aka the one that is the most fun and enjoyable post will be the one that wins.

It will be a challenge for people, but that is what makes it fun. The added benefit is that it will improve the writing of everyone. It is just a new approach to stories of TNP.

Hmph. I'll give it a chance; and see what happens. Let's see if you guys can prove me wrong.

Back