Syrixia

The one, the true, the great.
-
TNP Nation
Syrixia
Discord
TrialByDance#0419
Admins:

Lately when I've been on the forum on my phone, I've sometimes been given a popup by Mobtraffic.co, which presents me an ad, usually for a mobile game or one of those things like "Do this and you get this!"

This has never happened before; it just started recently, and I don't think, for that reason, that it's my phone. Could the Administration look into it? Is it truly just my phone? If so, do you guys know why? Or is it something with the forum? If that's the case, why is that?

It's becoming decently annoying, so I wanted to make Mobtraffic's presence known.

Could you get a screenshot of this for us? I remember that Spiritus suffered something recently about a popup ad and they notified Zetaboards about it.

I am on my mobile at this very moment and no pop ups, nor have I ever seen any. Certainly nothing admin have done.

Lord Ravenclaw:
Could you get a screenshot of this for us? I remember that Spiritus suffered something recently about a popup ad and they notified Zetaboards about it.
Next time it comes up I'll take a screenshot. It doesn't come up on command;
it's random and it does what it wants.

If I may, I had a similar pop up issue on the forum. The way I got rid of it was using an app that blocks the ads. Don't know if that's the correct way to fix it, but certainly a way of fixing it.

I got a screenshot! It's actually mobtraffic.com, not mobfree.click. It said "CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'VE WON A FREE APP!" and had an image of a trophy below it. Then, this appeared:

image.png

Another screenshot. It happened again. This time of the trophy window.

image.png

Does this automatically redirect you from the forum or prevent you from being able to use the forum without dismissing it?

Can you screenshot the forum page with the ad visible please?

There's no one forum page. It just pops up at random. And yes, I have to dismiss it.

Okay. I'll reach out to Spiritus because this sounds like what they encountered recently.

Evening,

Spiritus Root Admin here.

So I filed a support ticket about this specifically, and got the reply of "We've identified the network causing the issue and they're trying to track down the offending ad. We hope to have it resolved shortly.". I don't... think.... we've had an issue since I reported it, but I could be wrong. But yeah, it's Zetaboards having issues with annoying ads, likely something they don't have much control over initially.

I'd recommend Administration of TNP file a support ticket alongside a screenshot of the ad and IP of the user seeing it, so they can identify it and hopefully fix it. That's what they had me submit to them, anyway. Hope that helps!

Mobtraffic is plaguing me more and more. Just now I tried to log in to IRC and it came up, and now I have identification issues as I cannot use the name "Syrixia". It says it is already in use.

Syrixia:
Mobtraffic is plaguing me more and more. Just now I tried to log in to IRC and it came up, and now I have identification issues as I cannot use the name "Syrixia". It says it is already in use.
That's not a mobtraffic issue, that's IRC. If you partially load it, enough that it registers your nick as in use, but then redirect/crash out/whatever, it will hold the nick for a while. If you register your nickname (which you have started but not completed - you should go to your email and finish verification) you can recover a nickname from a crashed instance or from another person by using the '/ns ghost nick password' command.

I used /whowas on your nick to determine that it had in fact been online. Editing IP information out:

* [Syrixia] (Mibbit@***): http://www.mibbit.com
* Syrixia *** :actually using host
* [Syrixia] nova.esper.net :Thu Jan 14 13:37:20 2016
* [Syrixia] (Mibbit@***): http://www.mibbit.com
* Syrixia *** :actually using host
* [Syrixia] insanity.esper.net :Thu Jan 14 13:10:37 2016
* syrixia :End of WHOWAS

-NickServ- Information on Syrixia (account Syrixia):
-NickServ- Registered : Jan 14 13:04:30 2016 (1 hour, 9 minutes, 25 seconds ago)
-NickServ- Entity ID : AAAAAAXFA
-NickServ- Last addr : Mibbit@***
-NickServ- Last seen : Jan 14 13:10:36 2016 (1 hour, 3 minutes, 19 seconds ago)
-NickServ- Flags : HideMail
-NickServ- Syrixia has NOT COMPLETED registration verification
-NickServ- *** End of Info ***

I'll file a support ticket with ZB as suggested by Tim (I assume it hasn't been done yet). Then hopefully the annoying pop up ads will be going away.

Mobtraffic made me think someone was complaining about the number of mafia members the forum was attracting. We shouldn't discriminate against legitimate businessmen.

You seem to be just about the only person having this issue. Could the problem be in your computer rather than on the forum?

Syrixia is not the only person, it happens to me constantly, and always an invitation or congratulations about winning some kind of game/games. I will upload screenshots if necessary and it is always from my mobile device, never my computer.

Hiya, admins...they're back. And it's kinda annoying, because it happens 4/5 of every time I go onto the forum. I have to keep putting in the URL again and trying it again.

My pal Nogori is also having some trouble with the popup ads as well. I linked him this thread but he hasn't posted on it yet, so I figured I'd be a pal and let you know. You guys should probably ask him about it too.

But I digress. Is there anything we can do to get these damn things to go away?

As Bootsie said, you could try getting an Ad Blocker App. It also may be another app you've installed on your device that does this. I recently identified an app that caused me the same problem whenever I opened an app.

I have not downloaded any apps recently and I am experiencing the same problem. I also encounter this when using my phone to check the forum. I like to leave the browser tabs open and check in on them periodically, and every time I check the forum this ad has taken over and I have to close the window. It's been doing this since late week. I have experienced this before in other apps and it tends to go away after a while. That's why I haven't sweated it so far. But it's not just Syrixia.

Hmmm...why don't we reach out to other regions with ZB and see if they are experiencing this problem.

abc:
Hmmm...why don't we reach out to other regions with ZB and see if they are experiencing this problem.
Last year, when this happened the first time, we did. We reached out to Spiritus. They said they were getting ads like these and filed a support ticket to ZB. We did too; the ads stopped.

But this is a different site, and it's happening again.

I'm afraid that Admin estimated the cost of removing ads on the forum would be somewhere upward of $300 per year. For now, I suggest using an adblocker.

Does the admin team have a recommendation for an iOS and an Android adblocker, or are we left on our own in these categories?

Lord Ravenclaw:
I'm afraid that Admin estimated the cost of removing ads on the forum would be somewhere upward of $300 per year. For now, I suggest using an adblocker.
$400 actually.
Sil Dorsett:
Does the admin team have a recommendation for an iOS and an Android adblocker, or are we left on our own in these categories?
I use uBlock on my laptop and iPhone, and it works great. I believe it is also available for iOS and Android, but as I don't own such a device I can't confirm.

See also this related admin announcement: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9067694/1/

r3n has bought ad removal at least until Zetaboards fixes this pop-up issue, and we've enabled ad removal for Guests so that you shouldn't get a pop up on trying to log in.

On a side note, before this ad removal was done (thanks r3n!) I was redirected to this page:
Code:
http://us.43691.site/am2/amz.php

An update regarding the pop-up ads: ZetaBoards says the issue has been fixed. We are temporarily disabling ad removal to test it. If you do run into the pop-up ads again, let us know (as always, a screenshot and a link to the redirect would both be useful information).

It isn't over...just coming in here to post that I have been getting these ads on my phone, it popped up twice when I clicked the link to enter this thread. Earlier I tried to post an announcement and had to keep going back and trying again. The ads are quite intrusive on my phone today. I have a screenshot but I have no idea how to get it in this post.

Pallaith:
I have a screenshot but I have no idea how to get it in this post.
Upload it to Imgur / Discord or any image hosting site (except photobucket) and post the direct image link in
tags.

I've disabled a function of the news box that was attempting to save us ad credits. Pallaith, could you surf the forum on that same phone again and tell me if you're still getting popups?

Yes, still happening, albeit less frequently.

The screenshot from earlier (but identical each time it happens):
image.png

Back