Legal Code not being updated.

i don't really know where to put this, but I just wanted to ask why the speaker has failed to update the legal code document on the forum for the past 3 bills that have been passed and approved.

The earliest bill that was approved was enacted into law was in mid October, it has been over a month since that date, and the legal code document has still not been updated.

I contacted the speaker several times regarding the issue and received no response, however I could see that he had been on the forum multiple times since that date. The only individual who did respond to me was the deputy speaker, who had essentially been running all of the speakers operations for the past months. He said that the speaker had reserved the right to update the LC document to himself and that he would contact him regarding it. Yet nearly two months after this he has not done so.

This is a serious issue that is damaging to the legal system of TNP, as it is now more difficult for Justices and Legal Officials to make decisions based on the code and to refer to it.

So the question I ask is why has this not been happening, and is this gross misconduct, specifically negligence?

23. "Gross Misconduct" is defined as the violation of an individual's legally mandated sworn oath, either willfully or through negligence.

While it is important that the Legal Code be updated, I think that calling the absence of those updates "Gross Misconduct" is perhaps overstating the situation. Maybe we could allow Deputy Speakers to edit the Legal Code to correspond with the new laws.

JohnsJoe's post contains some truth, and some bald-faced lies. Let's start with the truth:

The Truth
1. I have been severely remiss in my duties as Speaker. For the majority of my term, I have been barely logging on, and the only official duties I have been attending to are updating the legal code and fixing spreadsheet issues that were beyond the expertise of my deputies.
2. My deputies have been attending to the official business of the Speaker's Office during my period of inactivity.
3. At the time of his post, there were three new pieces of legislation that were not yet reflected in the legal code, the earliest of which (the flag bill) was passed in October.

The Lies
1. JohnsJoe did NOT contact me "multiple times". He contacted me ONCE, on November 29th.
2. I have NOT logged in at all since he sent that message, until this occasion.

The Flag Bill, which passed in October, contained an implementation clause, requiring that it not go into effect until Nov 28th, so the legal code update is not quite as overdue as JJ would make it appear. The most belated change the legal code is the Security Council Requirements Update Bill, which is 20 days overdue. Naturally, this is unacceptable. Citizens and government officials alike rely on our laws to be up-to-date and accurate. Changes to the law should be made as soon as they are enacted, with a minimum of delay. I can offer no sufficient excuse for my inaction. At this time, the legal code is up to date with all recent legislation reflected.

What I can offer is a plan to ensure that my inactivity does not cause any more harm. Effectively immediately, I am taking a leave of absence until January 10th, and announce that I will not be running for speaker in January. Additionally, I hereby name Zyvetskistaahn as Acting Speaker during my absence, and I will request that the forum administrators give him the ability to edit our legal documents forthwith.

I would resign, but I do not think a special election this close to the regularly scheduled election would be good for the region. Zyvetskistaahn and Quak are entirely capable of managing this office through the end of the general election in January, and there is no need for a referendum on their performance when the election is only weeks away. I apologize for neglecting my duties and breaking my campaign promises. Following the January election, I will be withdrawing from government service for a time, and will endeavor to become an active citizen.

Dear CoE,

I am sure we all appreciate when Real life strikes. Thank you for your integrity in letting us know your plans, and in making arrangements for your LoA. A special election is not really what we need at this stage. Take care of yourself, and come back when you are ready.

Just to note, I have seen that I have been designated to act as Speaker, and that, unfortunately, Real Life gets the best of us all sometimes and that that perfectly acceptable. I'm sure that we'll all be glad for your return, COE.

Once my permissions have been amended by the admin team, or as soon as is practicable thereafter, I will make the necessary changes to the legal code.

Thank You for your service, COE. I'm sad to hear you won't be running for Speaker in January, but of course, RL comes first. Best of luck to you, and best of luck to Zyvet and Quack as they finish this term.

~ Tomb

I definitely know what it is like when RL gets in the way :P Try to not be too disappointed in yourself.

You've put together an excellent team for this term. Zyvet has of course served as Speaker before, and Quak is very experienced now, so we are in good hands. I hope that one or both of them considers running to succeed you in January!

Real life is real; and this is just a game. Don't worry about us and do whatever you have to do IRL to the best of your ability. We're rooting for you. :)

Good luck and thanks for your extensive service and your swaggy moves like Jakker. ;P

I should clarify that I'm not having any RL crisis or anything of that sort. Everything is fine, I'm just not spending as much time on NS or in TNP as I used to. My life has certainly changed a lot, and those changes have resulted in me spending less time on the game, but I'm not prevented from playing; I just happen to spending most of my time in other ways now.

Thanks for all the well wishes anything though :P

COE, thank you for your service to TNP and the RA. IMHO, you have always gone above and beyond the call of duty. :clap:

Back