TAS Update 1

[img=800,100]http://i.imgur.com/Jfkbg0J.png[/img]
REGIONAL UPDATE
Issue 1

The following is a compilation of the news and opinion articles written by newspapers and private citizens of the Allied States.
Please visit our forums here: http://w11.zetaboards.com/Allied_Republics/index/! We love to receive Ambassadors from other regions!

FEDERAL NEWS

State War Roleplay Opens with Excitement and Chaos
Written by CDland, Chancellor of the Allied States

Just days after the Allied States Senate passed S.16, The State Military RP and Economy Act, the various state and county governments of the region have used its provisions to declare war on one another. The bill, introduced by Senator RNS, allows county governments (controlled by citizens) and state governments (controlled by groups of citizens) to purchase weapons and military equipment using a conversion ratio between forum money and the cost of the real life equivalent. Military products are then assigned point values based on their worth in combat.

Soon after the bill was passed, the Democratic People’s Republic of the West (DPRW), a communist state worker’s paradise headed by Governor Pletamia declared war on the capitalist, democratic South. While the DPRW quickly gained naval and air superiority over the generally unprepared South, the South eventually produced enough fighter planes to destroy the DPRW air force. However, the monarchist state of New England soon joined the war on the side of the West, with a goal of uniting New England and the South in a political union. With New England being by far the wealthiest State, New England and DPRW are heavily favored to win the war.

Although the roleplay opened to much fanfare, the Chancellor has indicated that he did not think that the rules regarding the roleplay were completed when the West and South began the war. In particular, there were no rules regarding how many soldiers can carry high-point sniper rifles, no rules on how large an army has to be to engage in a battle, and no rules on flanking or encircling maneuvers. This has been exploited by some of the States; in particular, DPRW now has an army of 1 million snipers.

Chancellor Obito Drakan resigns amid inactivity and fear of no-confidence.
Op-Ed by Regionia Drakan, originally appeared in Columbia News Network

One of what many considered formerly, one of the most influential members of the region, Chancellor Obito Drakan, has resigned from the office amid inactivity and fear of a no-confidence vote following the upcoming midterms. Senators from across the aisle were not pleased with his activity and leading quality. A shock to many, as the tales of his greatness during his Presidencies over the Allied Republics being considered among the top Presidents in TAR history. The disappointment that has come within the last month is truly troubling, his lack of passion and leadership is reflected in the Southern Senate Debate, and other forms of talk. Some, oddly enough, have come to understanding Obito's resignation, including Commune Citizen. We hope that there will be a bright future under potential leaders like CDland and others whom will continue to be dedicated to our region.

Editor’s Note: this article was written about one week prior to the article that follows

Thoughts About the Chancellery
Written by Chancellor CDland, originally appeared in Liberty News 11th Edition

I've been on the job for about a week now, which has hopefully allowed enough time to elapse that I can comment more fully on the events that transpired. I was purposefully silent about the former Chancellor's complaints against the Senate and the region post-merger, except for the Senate procedures criticism which I introduced a bill in response to. However, it might not come as a surprise to many that I disagree with what the Chancellor had to say in his exit speech. Instead of killing off our old regions, I think the merger has given us a grand opportunity to generate activity in a wide range of areas, including political simulation, regional government, economy, and role play with a larger group of people than was previously possible.

It's that spirit that I think best defines me when it comes to administrative ideology. Regions can grow stale and boring if they stick to the exact same formula for too long, and what was once novel and exciting can become uninteresting. In order to stay active, the Allied States needs to find concrete things to do - whether it be debating RP laws at the states, discussing the merits of different governmental systems, selling goods and services to each other in an economy - RP or not, or participating in role plays. I think that is what ought to define a healthy region and what Chancellors and Senators ought to strive to promote.

I will conclude by laying out some of the ideas I hope to advocate for as a Senator and Chancellor. In the coming days, I will try to revive discussions on the state military role play, comment on the subject of proportional representation in the Senate, pass legislation outlining regional holidays and directing the Interior Department to induct honorees into the Hall of Fame on holidays, oversee the creation of a government communications program that purchases the rights to articles from private media companies in its foreign dispatches and internal updates, reach out to state governments and businesses to implement FREA, and consolidate and codify our regional laws. Many of these goals are legislative in nature, but, then again, one of the features of our new system is that the Chancellor sits in the Senate and ideally leads his or her party there. Others are administrative and I hope to facilitate my Cabinet in implementing them.

A LOOK INTO THE STATES

[img=200,100]http://img15.deviantart.net/bf18/i/2010/327/7/1/u_e_s_s__flag_by_acfierro-d2drbge.png[/img]
DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF THE WEST

Status of the West
Written by Senator Commune Citizen

Our Eternal governor, His excellency Pletamia has returned to us. The West is in a state of emergency. For the protection of our values Pletamia has stopped parliament due to corruption by capitalistic influences. The Western Security Agency has stormed the Conservative party HQ to stop the vile dogs from polluting our environment and robing our citizens of their rights for their gain.

A new state religion has been implemented requiring praise of the eternal governor three times a day as well as keep his picture in their house.

In interstate affairs, the West has past the worst state ever act denouncing the South as a corrupt evil regime bent on profit that denies their citizens basic rights. The People's Republic of the South has been recognized as the legitimate government of the South with Pletamia named ruler of the state with military governor CPSU in charge of the laws.

[img=200,100]http://i.imgur.com/zQdJ8C3.png[/img]
BUXTON

Congress Watch
Written by Brick Drakan, originally appeared in the Buxton Herald

The Congress Hall has seen a flurry of activity since the state's foundation this summer, but has recently seen a decline in activity. There are currently four bills in the Congress Hall: The Buxton Security Act; Congressional Reorganisation Act; The Treaty of the Mid-Atlantic; and The Residency Incentive Act.

The Buxton Security Act, or BSA, lays the foundations for the creation of the Buxton Security Council, a body that would be comprised of the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of Defence and two other Buxton citizens, that would be appointed by the Governor. Linking with S.2(d), Section Three of the bill defines treason within Buxton. Treason is defined as "the crime of betraying one's state, especially by attempting to kill government officials or overthrow the government. Additionally, any way of leaking classified information to a person who does not have clearance to such information, most specifically people from out of state.". The bill also states that the punishment for treason is being stripped of all assets within the state, including businesses, residencies, your county and more. Finally, it also states that a fine may be imposed alongside any other punishment "deemed appropriate" by the State Judiciary.

The Congressional Reorganisation Act sets out the rules for the congress and who may be a member of the congress and introduce bills. It also introduces incentives for residents to vote. The bill would repeal the Debate and Vote Time Act if it were to pass. The Treaty of the Mid-Atlantic is a proposed treaty between Buxton and New England, it states that Buxton shall recognise the democratically elected government of New England, it also puts a non-agression pact in place between the two states. Finally, the Residency Incentive Act does what it says on the tin; it creates incentives for residents of Buxton to have a residence and encourage non-residents to move to the state.

latest

NEW ENGLAND

Tobacco Act Fails in New England
Op-ed by Speaker of the New England House of Commons Gorbon, originally appeared in theallied.org

The House of Commons in New England has got its groove back. Just in the last week New England has passed Rights of the People Act, Election Fraud and Prevention Act, New England Code Act, Legal Consent Act, and even The Bill Pathway Act of 2015. We have been able to give our people unquestionable rights, pass bills in a simple manner, prevent election fraud, ensure minors are not being harmed by adults with sinful ideas, and organize all our laws into one document called the New England Code. The progress is great, and should be publicly noted, however one bill The New England Tobacco Regulation Act has not been so lucky. After long debates, about personal freedom (which is preserved), about the corporate rights of health insures (which is protected), and even a debate on whether the government should really have the power to say no to billboards near pubic schools showing Big Tobacco advertisements. Today I call on New England to support life, and support reason by ending debate and voting for The New England Tobacco Regulation Act today. Because when New England Stalls, Big Tobacco Wins, and Big Tobacco Wins many lives are Lost.

Back