Adopt Rethenism!

plembobria

TNPer
-
Copying mcm here.

Rethenism is a religion founded somewhere on the Kianese continent between the 7th and 8th centuries. (Possibly earlier, if circumstances regarding mcm are changed.)

A brief description of Rethenistic doctrine:
Rethenism is centered around three deities: Rethea, Astarial, and The One Who Shall not be Named. Though there are three "gods" the religion is technically monotheistic.

The Unnamed One created everything, left his daughters to care for it, and pretty much moved on. He has absolutely no importance in Rethenist theology.

Our "nice goddess" is Rethea. Following her leads to incarnation.

Our "devil" is Astarial. All "false" religions are considered to be Asta's deception. All "bad guys" are considered "Servants of Astarial." It is preached that all servants of Asta have sold their souls to her, and they will be "locked away in eternal darkness forever," and won't reincarnate.

Not much homage must be payed to Rethea. One is simply supposed to respect their fellow people, and follow basic moral laws set forth in our holy book.

The first major followers of this religion were the Rethenites, named after their religion. They were expelled from the Kianese empire in the ninth century for practicing this religion. They sought asylum in the Lancerian Empire. (and possibly proselytized a bit?) The Kianese ordered them massacred, but the Lancerians exiled them instead. This is how they found their way to Plembobria.

Rethenism preaches peace, nonviolence, love, etc. This is partly why Plembobria is so anti-interventionist. Other nations may interpret doctrine differently. But most Rethenists would feel that war should be avoided at all cost.

So, is Rethenism common in your nation? How would that affect your relationship with Plembobria or other following nations. This thread is for this discussion.

Due to our proximity, you would probably be our largest religion, and especially as it is aligned with Xentheridan beliefs, it would be popular (up to 20 million followers here, out of 75). It wouldn't be our national religion (we also don't like to set bias in terms of religion), but it would be recognised as the largest.

Kannex:
If you expand on this religion further, Kannex would be happy to discriminate against it.
:rofl:

There are many similarities between rethenism and flemingovianism - but some notable differences that led to our squabbles. For one thing, Astarial receives redemption in flemingovianism and is crowned the Queen of God. A very important figure in our religion, but will have a different name.

Rethel, I expect is like flemingovia himself. With the unknown one being like Maxx.

Other issues will need to be developed further.

Kannex:
If you expand on this religion further, Kannex would be happy to discriminate against it.
You're perfectly welcome too. Do you think we'd have some cultural tensions derived from religion?

Xentherida:
Due to our proximity, you would probably be our largest religion, and especially as it is aligned with Xentheridan beliefs, it would be popular (up to 20 million followers here, out of 75). It wouldn't be our national religion (we also don't like to set bias in terms of religion), but it would be recognised as the largest.
Works for me! We'd also, at least during the Medieval/Renaissance era bombarding your nation with missionaries.

mcmasterdonia:
Kannex:
:rofl:

There are many similarities between rethenism and flemingovianism - but some notable differences that led to our squabbles. For one thing, Astarial receives redemption in flemingovianism and is crowned the Queen of God. A very important figure in our religion, but will have a different name.

Rethel, I expect is like flemingovia himself. With the unknown one being like Maxx.

Other issues will need to be developed further.
Yes. Flemingovianism and Rethenism are at theological odds. It's likely that anyone's flemingovianist population wouldn't get along well with your Rethenist population.

plembobria:
Kannex:
You're perfectly welcome too. Do you think we'd have some cultural tensions derived from religion?
Likely. Do you have a written history of your nation somewhere? That and more detailed posts about your religions would be helpful.

To keep it simple, Kannex follows a form of Lutheranism as its state religion, with some Calvinists and evangelical Protestants. A sizable Catholic minority exists in the south. In Pelhafor, the Catholics are the majority, but the German-speaking Protestants are the minority elite.

Kannex:
plembobria:
Kannex:
Likely. Do you have a written history of your nation somewhere? That and more detailed posts about your religions would be helpful.

To keep it simple, Kannex follows a form of Lutheranism as its state religion, with some Calvinists and evangelical Protestants. A sizable Catholic minority exists in the south. In Pelhafor, the Catholics are the majority, but the German-speaking Protestants are the minority elite.
Here. But that needs to be a updated to add in some of the Kianese empire stuff. This is an early timeline.

The main question is to how Rethenism would have spread to Kannex early on. It could be largely through immigration or trade. I don't think it would have gotten there immediately though.

I'd think that the Lutheran tradition in Kannex would probably rather disgusted by a religion who has a female as it's central deity. They'd see this a lot like paganism.

plembobria:
Kannex:
plembobria:
Kannex:

Here. But that needs to be a updated to add in some of the Kianese empire stuff. This is an early timeline.

The main question is to how Rethenism would have spread to Kannex early on. It could be largely through immigration or trade. I don't think it would have gotten there immediately though.

I'd think that the Lutheran tradition in Kannex would probably rather disgusted by a religion who has a female as it's central deity. They'd see this a lot like paganism.
Some of the Kannexan natives may have adopted Rethenism, especially along the coastal regions, early on. They would have been destroyed, assimilated, or pushed back by the Lutheran German colonists in the Early Modern Age.

Kannex:
plembobria:
Kannex:
plembobria:
Kannex:

Some of the Kannexan natives may have adopted Rethenism, especially along the coastal regions, early on. They would have been destroyed, assimilated, or pushed back by the Lutheran German colonists in the Early Modern Age.
That works. That also would make us have a bit of cultural tensions.

Not to rush you (and it's hard for me to check on my phone), but have you or McM written anything about your religions, like mythos, practices, etc.? That would determine whether Kannex is apathetic or hostile.

Some major holidays would be nice.

Kannex:
Not to rush you (and it's hard for me to check on my phone), but have you or McM written anything about your religions, like mythos, practices, etc.? That would determine whether Kannex is apathetic or hostile.

Some major holidays would be nice.
Apart from what is in the OP and the scriptures I'm working on, I haven't come up with anything else. More will come out as I work on the scriptures.

I also have a scripture thread in national information or factbook stories. It's a work in progress that has been temporarily left as I focus on exams.

Back