Conflict

Pauline Bonaparte

Her Worshipfulness
-
TNP Nation
Floresque
Discord
DivaythFyr
I think some of the stuff that has been discussed so far is really helpful with establishing the world we live in and I'm glad that we've finally gotten a chance to talk about it. In addition to that, though, I would like to bring up a topic that I think would help us fill the world we continue to build realistically: conflict.

As I've said in the past, sometimes I feel like people are averse to conflict - and I don't necessarily mean we should go to war with each other more often. Sometimes - and please correct me if I'm wrong - it seems like actions taken by states that other countries should have a problem with go unnoticed or the problem is resolved very quickly IC or even OOC. While I think that OOC collaboration is the best way to write, such IC pleasantries aren't always how governments act with each other.

I think developing a deep understanding of each other's cultures as well as our own would help mitigate some of this. I think the Guslantis coup RP is a good example of nations working together against a common enemy, which is excellent and does present conflict. I'm always hesitant to critique RPs I'm not in, but if I did have to make a suggestion I would recommend some inter-alliance conflict on the level of internal disagreement with orders or battle plans, or perhaps a culturally-informed resentment of other nations that your pilots and soldiers feel "forced" to work with.

Not to harp on the McMasterdonia RP some more just because I'm in it, but I think that the issue of the NPTO wanting to enter McMasterdonia during the civil war against his OOC wishes presented a good opportunity for turning that into IC conflict that wasn't just more war. The NPTO could blame the Albert government publicly for a reluctance to accept foreign help in ending his civil war, accusing his government of allowing it to happen in the first place, or something like that. In addition, this sort of set-up would make it more believable when allegiances switch later on to the Amira claimants; the NPTO would have a clear and obvious reason to support them because they have established their fundamental disagreement with Albert.

I think by thinking through our own culture and how it in interacts with others we can easily figure out which side, if any, in an emerging conflict we would be biased towards. And everyone should be biased - even if the government approaches things objectively, they are beholden to the will of the definitely non-objective people. Democracies more directly, and dictatorships/monarchies less directly. Does your nation have a long history of war with a nation that is now being targeted by a nation your people admire? Or perhaps your people see a nation they feel neutral with targeted by nations they have a distrust of?

Myroria is a secular government ruling a people who mostly follow a traditional faith with differences according to geography and culture. They would find religious wars like those waged Gunrei scary, and perhaps might feel uneasy about the religious undertones in August statements about war. Both religions are institutions with strict rules and little tolerance for internal dissent. Flemingovianism in particular would be associated with the Kianese genocide of the Myrorian people. How would these feelings manifest themselves in the government's responses to things?

Floresque is a city-state that is much less religious but has a culture built around its long history of mercantilism. The people probably don't feel particularly bad about any other nation, but would be well-aware of how quickly a nation as small as theirs can go from wealth to ruin. It would want the government to do its best to mediate conflicts that present a clear threat to business, or to support conflicts that might open up more areas to business. How would the Gonfaloniere act with that knowledge when deciding how to respond to conflict?

These are just examples, of course. The point I would like to make is that IC conflict is not necessarily a bad thing, and can also consist of more than just war. Remember freedom fries? Remember when France's centuries of martial tradition ceased to exist in the eyes of many Americans because they decided they didn't want to join in on the invasion of Iraq? That's a good example of how culture can affect conflict and how conflict can manifest itself outside of war or sanctions.

That's about all I have. I suppose I don't really have a direction I'd like input to go for this other than people's general thoughts. Perhaps a discussion of what ideals your nation's people might oppose or even specifically what nations you might have a bad history with.

Excellent post, I agree 100%.

I would also add that conflict can result in many other outcomes other than wars. Condemnations and statements are one of them. You can also impose diplomatic sanctions, you can close their embassy and send their staff home on the next flight out. A very strong diplomatic move.

Economically, you could block all trade from their nation. You could freeze the accounts of government officials of that nation within your own country. You could do any number of things that will be a kind of conflict, without it just being bombs dropping over head.

To the NPTO point, Syrixia put forward the invasion plans IC, which IC represented a misunderstanding of our culture as he did not consult IC with the government first. OOC it was a great move as it gave me an opportunity to spout of nonsense, tbh. But I'd agree with Myroria, that the NPTO could have strongly blamed Albert - like nations like Kannex and SDKY have done consistently.

I agree, great post.

The problem I see here is mainly fickle interest from secondarily involved RPers (i.e. those who aren't directly involved in the action) and inactivity, which go hand in hand.

I'll be glad to go in depth about Kannex's relations with the outside world later today or this weekend; I already do, however, have a history of my country written up.

mcmasterdonia:
Excellent post, I agree 100%.

I would also add that conflict can result in many other outcomes other than wars. Condemnations and statements are one of them. You can also impose diplomatic sanctions, you can close their embassy and send their staff home on the next flight out. A very strong diplomatic move.

Economically, you could block all trade from their nation. You could freeze the accounts of government officials of that nation within your own country. You could do any number of things that will be a kind of conflict, without it just being bombs dropping over head.

To the NPTO point, Syrixia put forward the invasion plans IC, which IC represented a misunderstanding of our culture as he did not consult IC with the government first. OOC it was a great move as it gave me an opportunity to spout of nonsense, tbh. But I'd agree with Myroria, that the NPTO could have strongly blamed Albert - like nations like Kannex and SDKY have done consistently.
:agree:

I've also been thinking about this seeing as how the last Syrixians were driven from Esplandia less than 300 years ago. While Esplandia has a Syrixian embassy and has officially forgiven Syrixia for their genocide of Esplandias people, I don't think my nation will be allying themselves with Syrixia anytime soon from an RP standpoint.

I personally think we should work towards an alliance. The process may be slow, but it'll be for the better. We should forget the past and remember the positives of what happened, such as Esplandia being under a strong empire with many colonies, and thus probably growing rich. Syrixia and Esplandia's histories are quite intertwined. If Syrixia can forge an alliance of mutual defense with the Red Commie Nebulan Pinko Scum, I think it's safe to say working towards one between us isn't out of the question.

[me] breathes in and prepares for super-run-on-sentence

Nebula was expansionist, Nebula attacked Syrixia, Syrixia repulsed them, Nebula got annoyed, Nebula found Galacta, Nebula attacked Galacta, Rhuvanland got annoyed, Rhuvanland supported Galactan rebels, Nebula accused Rhuvanland of supporting terrorists and told them to stop, Rhuvanland refused, Nebula blockaded Rhuvanland, Rhuvanland threatened war, Rhuvanland mobilized, and then Nebula got angry and declared war.

Syrixia:
Syrixia breathes in and prepares for super-run-on-sentence

Nebula was expansionist, Nebula attacked Syrixia, Syrixia repulsed them, Nebula got annoyed, Nebula found Galacta, Nebula attacked Galacta, Rhuvanland got annoyed, Rhuvanland supported Galactan rebels, Nebula accused Rhuvanland of supporting terrorists and told them to stop, Rhuvanland refused, Nebula blockaded Rhuvanland, Rhuvanland threatened war, Rhuvanland mobilized, and then Nebula got angry and declared war.
That's not a history. I meant, what were the background causes for Nebula's expansionism and the early engagements of the Great War? Why did Syrixia bother to oppose Nebula in the first place?

Plus, the Rhuvish support of Galacta was revenge for Nebula's Bay of Cows invasion.

Nebula's expansionism- No idea. Ask him.

Syrixia's opposition- Bhargava's pathological anticommunist stance.

Syrixia:
I personally think we should work towards an alliance. The process may be slow, but it'll be for the better. We should forget the past and remember the positives of what happened, such as Esplandia being under a strong empire with many colonies, and thus probably growing rich. Syrixia and Esplandia's histories are quite intertwined. If Syrixia can forge an alliance of mutual defense with the Red Commie Nebulan Pinko Scum, I think it's safe to say working towards one between us isn't out of the question.
I agree, but it will be some fun conflict to RP out as we learn to forgive and forget.

Esplandia:
Syrixia:
I agree, but it will be some fun conflict to RP out as we learn to forgive and forget.
:agree:

Syrixia:
I am more inclined to agree with Esplandia lol. You may think they were lucky to be in the Empire, but many of their citizens will not agree. This wanting to be friends with everyone is part of the problem. Not all relationships are reconcilable.

mcmasterdonia:
Syrixia:
I am more inclined to agree with Esplandia lol. You may think they were lucky to be in the Empire, but many of their citizens will not agree. This wanting to be friends with everyone is part of the problem. Not all relationships are reconcilable.
Here's an example. What if Russia wasn't ruled by Putin, but instead a less corrupt official who the USA could tolerate? If you apply that logic here, making Russia Esplandia and the USA Syrixia; yes, Esplandia probably would hate Bhargava's administration, but I don't see it unreasonable for them to give Kumar a chance.

Another example; think of it like the Cuban Thaw. Both countries are beginning to trust each other more due to new leadership in both of them. Catheryn of Esplandia is Raúl Castro and Kumar is Obama. (Though admittedly comparing anything to Obama is a bad idea, XD) Point is, timewise, there is a chance.

If we really want to move away from conflict and go deeper into other types of RP, we must stop making our nations hate each other so much, and experiment with those aforementioned other types of RP.

Conflict is the essence of storytelling; what's being said isn't that there needs to be less conflict, just different ways of resolving it than violence.

Hey, the majority of Sadakhan distrust and dislike you all. Some of them question whether any outsiders even qualify as human, since you care more about wealth than education and self-improvement.

Doesn't mean we won't work with you. Even if we may or may not have our own agenda at play in the background. We can't afford a war, so we'll find other ways.

Piscivore:
Conflict is the essence of storytelling; what's being said isn't that there needs to be less conflict, just different ways of resolving it than violence. Hey, the majority of Sadakhan distrust and dislike you all. Doesn't mean we won't work with you.
Makes sense. I like this idea.

Piscivore:
Conflict is the essence of storytelling; what's being said isn't that there needs to be less conflict, just different ways of resolving it than violence.

Hey, the majority of Sadakhan distrust and dislike you all. Some of them question whether any outsiders even qualify as human, since you care more about wealth than education and self-improvement.

Doesn't mean we won't work with you. Even if we may or may not have our own agenda at play in the background. We can't afford a war, so we'll find other ways.
This.
At no point do I think all nations or citizens of nations in TNP Rp should like each other and all have alliances.

Also a change of an administration is unlikely to go very far to change opinions after generations of abuse at the hands of Syrixia.

I realize not enough nations hate me. Why is it anyone's nation would dislike or distrust the Plembobrians?

Generally speaking, our foreign policy is devised to please as many people as possible. (Of course, in order to increase hegemony over them.) This explains our success in both major organizations. Anyway, even if it isn't cultural or historical, wouldn't some nations be wary (or jealous) of the amount of political influence we wield, and therefore try to discredit us?

I've always though Wolfsea, having spent a century in isolation and being a warrior race, wouldn't be trusted or as some kind of Bogel by other nations, like they told their kids about the Wolvesh being cannibalistic monsters of some kind. (which is sort of true is you count the Ghouls but since they're fed mostly on "grown" flesh they're not dangerous.)

plembobria:
I realize not enough nations hate me. Why is it anyone's nation would dislike or distrust the Plembobrians?

Generally speaking, our foreign policy is devised to please as many people as possible. (Of course, in order to increase hegemony over them.) This explains our success in both major organizations. Anyway, even if it isn't cultural or historical, wouldn't some nations be wary (or jealous) of the amount of political influence we wield, and therefore try to discredit us?
:bump:

plembobria:
plembobria:

:bump:
Omg that's exactly the situation I'm in. :rofl:

I just thought it seemed strangely similar. Our foreign policy is aimed at making friendships with most nations, and Bhargava did try to increase Syrixian hegemony over its allies. Syrixia has had success in both major organizations, being admitted to the DU after a long and arduous process, as well as becoming Deputy Chair of the NPTO, not once but twice. I'm not others, I'm me, so I don't know about the jealous part; but in the latter part of Bhargava's administration many nations did try to discredit him, and Syrixia even got suspended from the NPTO for a time.

Just a thought I had. :tb1: :eyebrow:

Back