Flemingovia for Justice

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
My position has not changed since the last time i stood for election.

I would point out that not only did i serve the full term, but i also stood by every promise I made last time and was elected on.

Here is the speech again:

Last time I stood for justice my opponent said I was the best candidate and urged everyone to vote for me and not for him. Naturally, I lost by a landslide. So don't hold your breath this time.

I could do the usual blah blah speech, but you all know the mantra by now. Justice candidates tend to promise the earth and then either prove to be piss-poor or disappear mid term. Well, I know our laws pretty well (I predate most of them) and I will not go inactive. You know that.

So what do i want to talk about?

First, I am not a great believer in the constitutional court. I think it is an absurd system for a game like this. It is better than it was, but it is unwieldy and byzantine. For years I avoided getting involved in a flawed system. But then I thought "well, if this is the system we have, we may as well have people who can at least try to make it work." So here I am.

Blunt Justice. Too many of our justices have been too nice, and have bent over backwards to accommodate any shit-stirrer who decides to play silly buggers. I have taken advantage of that a few times myself. If I am justice, if you make like a toddler and throw a tantrum, you will be told to piss off. If you play silly buggers with the court system, you will be told to piss off. If you beat your breast about how your human rights are being violated, you will be told to piss off. Do you see a theme emerging here.

Precedent I don't mind referring back to precedent, but I would not be a slave to it. If I think previous benches were wrong i would not apply or follow precedent, simple as that.

standing Our rules on standing were adopted to stop people playing silly buggers with the court and tying us up in knots with spurious R4Rs and appeals. Now there are some areas where there is a case that everyone in the RA, or everyone in the NPA etc is affected by a ruling and therefore has standing. This creates a certain grey area. On the whole, I think the court has got it about right so far. So expect little change from me (except I would not take a week to agonize over standing: You would be told to piss off (see above) quite quickly).

Term length Given all that I said above, I would expect to be recalled before the end of the term. Bear that in mind. My term would, at least, be entertaining while it lasts.

Finally, for no apparent reason and without any relevance to the above post, here is a photo of a cat dressed up as a lawyer:

CAT-LAWYER.jpg

Back