Worldbuilding Convention

Pauline Bonaparte

Her Worshipfulness
-
TNP Nation
Floresque
Discord
DivaythFyr
I'd like to propose something. Going off my thoughts that I posted in the North Pacific Union thread along with some discussion in #tnp-rp, I think it might be a good idea to hold another RP convention focused on worldbuilding.

I think a major issue with the perceived lack of international diplomacy is the lack of worldbuilding. Shared history, where it exists, is usually about what king married what noble and not the sort of visceral culture-sharing that modern politics should be built on. Everyone's leaders are thinking with thousands of years of culture behind them. What nations do they like and dislike? What nations have conquered others in the past and abused their people? Sometimes I see nations with a history of imperialism acting in a way inconsistent with the culture that history would have imbued them with.

I think TNP needs to discuss its internal history so that IC conflict makes sense and can happen rather than geopolitics just being a game of follow-the-leader. Is this something other people would be interested in? We could tackle both worldbuilding/history as well as what makes a good conflict besides war and how to make them more common.

I absolutely support this idea.

Edit: we can finish/decide on a naming convention as well.

We tried doing this before and got a couple things done.

We began talking about the seas, and also named one of the continents: Caltania. We also established Eve as the world's name, though that would later be replaced by Eras. After this initial conversation died, talks began about a historical HRE-state centered in McMasterdonia.

So we obviously have the capability to do this and have done this before. I'd love to see this discussion renewed.

Agree. I want more history to expand on and tying in with other countries is the best way to do this.

Where do we start? Should we build some background to explain the more recent events -- i.e. the Great War and the McMasterdonian crisis?

I agree with Syrixia, I hate referring to the area Guslantis inhabits as "the southern quarter of the region". History is important too.

I promise to keep my charm on for this RP Convention. ;)

Full support.

The northeastern group of islands is the only other landmass with an actual name I can think of. The Seran Islands.

Kannex:
Where do we start? Should we build some background to explain the more recent events -- i.e. the Great War and the McMasterdonian crisis?
We'll be getting things set up either tonight or tomorrow, with a subforum within the Lounge for the convention.

We could do it on IRC and someone could take notes. That'd be quicker.

I'll be at school all tomorrow, so I would prefer having the slower moving subforum for convention matters. And if we wish to do any worldbuilding conventions in the future, we already have a subforum for them.

I definitely want to help with this. I don't have much of Vazosi and Qurafi history lined out prior to the 15th century, but I'm open to working something out.

Let's please make this the second RolePlayers Convention. I'd like to keep that name/idea going, so we can keep coming back to it as an official regional event every so often :P

Otherwise full support.

Fantastic idea. Full support behind it.

Yeranneus:
The northeastern group of islands is the only other landmass with an actual name I can think of. The Seran Islands.

The island that me and Archegnum share is named Archlancer Island, and we've called the strait on either side the North and South Archlancer Strait respectively for quite a while now, hence the Straits of Archlancer Pact. As far as the name of the straits go we I guess we'd have to ask the nations on the other side of it but for final confirmation but the name of the island should be pretty much set in stone.

Are... um... are people waiting for something before posting in the RP convention? >_>

I didn't even notice that. I'll try and think up a topic for it. Perhaps regarding ethnic and genetic connections between the High and Low Yeraenn and the rest of the world? My country has almost no defined past except for a few important markers that aren't even exact dates.

Back