Resolution of Inclusiveness and Impartiality

plembobria

TNPer
-
Honorable delegations, I propose this resolution, which I carefully drafted with the delegation from Guslantis.

Many view this organization as an alliance. Many consider it imperialist, colonial, and elitist.

When Abigail Hilley founded this Organization, she sought a union in which members of all kinds of nations and cultures could come together for cooperation. He believed that this could bring about peace.

Unfortunately the NPTO has come to be seen as a power-bloc of its own. This is wrong. All members should be equal, and equally protected. Therefore, I propose this resolution.

This resolution does the following things:
  • Amends the preamble, taking out possible implications that NPTO is an alliance
  • Requires the Chair to accept all applications, while adding protections against nations have their puppet states apply
  • Abolishes the PeaceKeeping Forces and the Peace Council
  • Adds a few protections for member nations, and makes an NPTO-wide defensive pact illegal
  • Prevents the NPTO from aligning itself collectively with another organization or alliance

Resolution of Inclusiveness and Impartiality:
The Preamble to the Charter is amended to read:
Our nations, gathered here on this 28th day in May, come together to ratify the Charter of the North Pacific Treaty Organization or NPTO. NPTO shall represent peace through its actions and declarations, and shall be charged with the duty of maintaining peace between its member nations. This organization will be a stage of freedom from which member nations can and will have their issues addressed by their fellow nations. We will break the barriers between government types and work together; our organization will not be the battle ground between dictatorships and democracies, but instead it will be the shield of peace surrounding its member nations and a floor of openness that we shall protect.

Article 4 of the Charter shall be amended to read:
Nations wishing to join the NPTO must submit an application to the Chairperson who shall analyze its authenticity and then accept it if it is valid. Membership in any other alliance or organization, nor type of government, shall not be considered in the acceptance or rejection of any application.

Applications of states which are under any form of legal jurisdiction or military protection (other than that established by multilateral treaties) of any current member shall be rejected, but the Assembly, by majority vote, may override such a rejection.

Article 5, Paragraph 3, Subparagraph 2 of the Charter is amended to read:
Elect the Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson, and holders of any other office which it shall think proper to create.

Article 5, Paragraph 3, Subparagraph 5 of the Charter is hereby repealed.

Article 7 of the Charter, in its entirety, is hereby repealed.

Article 8 of the Charter, in its entirety, is hereby repealed.

Article 9 of the Charter shall be renamed "Article 7" and amended to read:
The Chairperson will be the Election Commissioner for all elections within the NPTO. They may appoint up to two Assistant Election Commissioners to assist in overseeing elections. The Election Commissioner and their Assistants may not run in an election that they are overseeing.

Every election will have a three day candidacy declaration period. Once the candidacy declaration period has ended, there will be a four day voting period. Any member of the Assembly may vote in an election.

Article 10 of the Charter shall be renamed "Article 8" and amended to read:
The Executive consists of the Chair and Deputy Chair of the NPTO.

No member may be expelled or suspended from this organization unless on violation of this Organization's laws.

No member of this Organization has any obligations to any other member other than that which is established by Assembly resolution.

No Resolution or law shall be made which obliges any member to pledge the use of its military to this Organization, any other member, or any other state, alliance, or organization.

This Organization shall not affiliate itself with any alliance or organization.

No Resolution or law shall be made establishing a military wing for this organization.

I am fully on board with these changes. Having said that, I do feel the Application itself can be updated.

As it currently stands, the Application asks all applying nations to uphold an oath, as seen below:
I, [YOUR NATION'S LEADER] of [YOUR NATION'S NAME], pledge to never engage in conflict with any other members of NPTO, protect the other member nations in their time of need, and to only use my army for the good of the other member nations. I will break the barriers between governmental types and work together; and I will help my organization to not be the battle ground between dictatorships and democracies, but instead, help form the shield of peace surrounding its member nations that I most honorably shall protect.

To help clear the notion that the NPTO is not an alliance (in some regards the above oath implies military) but an organization of nations working towards a common goal (peace), I propose the following:
I, [YOUR NATION'S LEADER] of [YOUR NATION'S NAME], pledge to uphold the ideals of the NPTO and work with my fellow member states in representing and achieving peace. Though there are differences between the government's of the many nation's, I pledge to be open minded towards them all; be they a democracy, a dictatorship or something else. Should a conflict arise between member nations, I understand and accept that the NPTO is an open forum to discuss matters of state and to reach a peaceful solution. Furthermore, should conflict arise, I pledge to work with my fellow NPTO members in helping to resolve the crisis if it is in my nation's best interest.

Basically, the new pledge makes clear that first and foremost the goal of the NPTO is peace and open mindedness towards all nation's and their government's. It also leaves open the possibility of utilizing the NPTO as a place to discuss conflicts and how the NPTO, through the use of resolutions and diplomacy can bring about peace.

Well since the application is indeed at the Chair's discretion, she should certainly updated it if this resolution is carried.

I thank the honorable delegate for her support.

The Empire fully and unequivocally supports this bill. The NPTO needs some reform.

In that case who will be responsible for regional peacekeeping? Will a new organization be required for this purpose then?

The NPTO will not be used for "regional peacekeeping." These so-called "peacekeepers" have done nothing to bring about peace.

Another military organization can style itself as a peacekeeping force, but the NPTO under this resolution will be not be affiliated with it.

Plus, let's be honest, the Peace Council was basically an oligarchy in control of the only soldiers NPTO had. And let's be honest there too. They were basically soldiers with un-soldiery tasks.

Then I take it, as such an organisation would not be formally linked to the NPTO, that dual membership of both organisations would be permitted?

Wolfsea:
Then I take it, as such an organisation would not be formally linked to the NPTO, that dual membership of both organisations would be permitted?
Yes. The new policy will be that the NPTO is blind to membership in other organizations. The NPTO is collective not aligned, though its members can be aligned separately.

(Motion for vote noted, will be put together tonight or tomorrow. Long day, almost 11 hours at work so I'm exhausted at the moment.)

Back