Proposal: banning law

Can I ask the speakers office if there needs to be a new proposal to move this to formal debate, or will the earlier one suffice?

I was initially excited by the title of this thread. Upon closer inspection I found myself disappointed. Too narrow in focus for me to support. When you want to ban law, and really be thorough about it, then you will have my vote.

I am sorry I cannot support this bill. Best of luck. :)

DD, the longest journey begins with but a single step. even though you may have wished it to be more comprehensive, i hope it will still get your support in the end.

If only for Simon.

F.

flemingovia:
Please play this music while reading this post:[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWIE0PX1uXk[/video]

On a more serious note, TNP prides itself on being an open and inclusive community. People who play this game have a choice of nation and forum name. They can easily avoid names that rhyme with carpet.

But spare a thought for extreme Chaliophobics. they have no choice in the matter, and at the moment our lack of provision in law excludes them from participating in this region.

Consider Simon. back in 2003, Simon was making love to a beautiful woman. the love-making got passionate, and Simon found himself lying on the carpet. Her enthusiasm caused extreme friction, and Simon ended up with second degree carpet burns. When the burns had healed, he found himself gripped by Chaliophobia so severe that even the thought of words that rhyme with carpet, such as Marpet and armpit, make him nauseous, panicky and cause him to withdraw into a foetal ball.

Today, Simon is a virtual recluse, unable to participate even in online communities, where the frequency of the word "marpet" causes him acute physical distress.

My friends, cannot Simon find a place here in TNP? can you not find it in your hearts to give Simon, and tens of thousands of Chaliophobics like him, a safe haven in TNP?
Holy crap!

I move for a vote. This must become law!

Democratic Donkeys:
I was initially excited by the title of this thread. Upon closer inspection I found myself disappointed. Too narrow in focus for me to support. When you want to ban law, and really be thorough about it, then you will have my vote.

If you were to ban law, then the law would ban itself, thus being useless.

Cronaal:
Democratic Donkeys:

If we were to ban law, the law would ban itself, which would ban itself, etc. and the effects would continue forever, making TNP beyond anarchic and sending it into the negative stream, turning it into a dictatorship.

Syrixia:
Cronaal:
Democratic Donkeys:

If we were to ban law, the law would ban itself, which would ban itself, etc. and the effects would continue forever, making TNP beyond anarchic and sending it into the negative stream, turning it into a dictatorship.
Unless the law prohibits itself from being banned but allows all others to be banned.

flemingovia:
Can I ask the speakers office if there needs to be a new proposal to move this to formal debate, or will the earlier one suffice?
While I would say that the earlier motion was not valid, as there was no bill for it to move, so a new motion would be needed, I note again that I won't be moving the proposal into formal debate, whether or not a new motion is made, unless I am instructed to do so by Mr Speaker. It remains open to members to move for an immediate vote, such a motion would require the support of four members, including the sponsor of the Bill, in order to be successful.

Zyvetskistaahn:
It remains open to members to move for an immediate vote, such a motion would require the support of four members, including the sponsor of the Bill, in order to be successful.
In that case, I move for an immediate vote (hopefully with flemingovia's approval).

falapatorius:
McM:
He hasn't banned anyone for that yet, because there are no names/words that properly rhyme with carpet.
I'm surprised at the level of ignorance (even the feigned ignorance of enablers) with regard to 'rhyme'. Does anyone listen to music or read poetry (rhetorical)? Off the top of my head: Scarlet, market, harlot, armpit, garnet, starlet, and Charlotte (a very possible nation name) all rhyme with carpet. :eyeroll:

The text of this bill (which rhymes with numb) says rhyme, not pure rhyme. :facepalm:
None of those words rhyme with carpet.

I might be reluctantly willing to grant the odd slant rhyme, but it is that which must be distinguished in the language if so.

Vazos:
Zyvetskistaahn:
It remains open to members to move for an immediate vote, such a motion would require the support of four members, including the sponsor of the Bill, in order to be successful.
In that case, I move for an immediate vote (hopefully with flemingovia's approval).
Meh. Looks like the Speaker's Office is on a go-slow.

I move too.

Would two more members of the RA please oblige, if only to show that he Speakers cannot act as arbiters of what we vote on?

flemingovia:
Vazos:
Meh. Looks like the Speaker's Office is on a go-slow.

I move too.

Would two more members of the RA please oblige, if only to show that he Speakers cannot act as arbiters of what we vote on?
The motion is noted.

As the motion has attained the necessary support, a vote is scheduled to begin as soon as permitted by law and the rules of the Assembly, which will be shortly after the announcement of the result of the vote on the Voting Methods Bill.

Why so? Chaliophobics are people too.

Edit: also, perhaps, some people have not lost sight of the fact that this is a game, played for fun, and the occasional bit of japery is not the end of the world. :bunny:

Besides, the law wouldn't actually do anything, since there are no technical "pure rhymes" of carpet. It would just bring a smile to some chaliophobic's face while they're reading through the legal code. :)

Wouldn't this technically be a Bill of Attainder? :P

Other than that technical point, I like it!

Then we must pass one for nation names that rhyme with "Orange".

Romanoffia:
Wouldn't this technically be a Bill of Attainder? :P

Other than that technical point, I like it!

Then we must pass one for nation names that rhyme with "Orange".
Absolutely.

I'm sick and tired of these Orange rhymers...

Thank you to those who supported this bill. I am quite surprised with how many votes it got! Some people still have a sense of fun in TNP. good to see.

What do you mean "fun?" Carpet rhyming is a serious issue. Every day, kids starve in Africa because their last name rhymes with carpet and they cannot afford a legal name change.

Back