TNP bling

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
This thread is about something I've been pondering for a while: trophy case factbooks.

In the decade I've been playing NS, I've found that one of the most successful ways to generate activity is by having a comprehensive set of participation and excellence awards. And key to making an award system successful is making sure that people are showing off the awards they win. You want new members who check out the region or forum to look at other people's awards and think "Oh, shinies! How do I get them?"

In TNP we have a great award culture. Off the top of my head, we give out awards for RP (Stories, old and new version), for NPA activity (ribbons), for the WADP, for special contests and events (theme week awards, trivia game prizes, Zombie Apocalypse awards), for general regional contributions (the Lennarts), and so on. On the forum, we are also doing a good job showing off, through our signatures.

Where we need to become better is showing off our awards at the game side. Nations of course do not have signatures, but they do have factbooks. We should try to cultivate a culture where nations maintain and publicize trophy case factbooks to proudly showcase all of their hard-earned awards. Nations will start competing to get the largest trophy case, and therefore will become more involved in our various activities. At the same time, they will be producing great advertisement for the region, so that even more nations get in the loop. And so on. On top of these, we will also be increasing our overall factbook writing activity, which is always good for the region.

To finally explain the thread's title, here's a half-baked idea about how we could go about achieving the above: We announce a TNP bling factbook (preferably with an appropriately blingy logo :P ). Nations can submit their own trophy case factbook to be listed in TNP bling. And optionally, we could have some kind of regular competitions for best design.

(In the above, I link to the factbook I made for my nation as an example of a trophy case factbook, only because it's the only one within TNP I'm aware of. I put it together in 2 minutes, so it's definitely not meant as an example of great design.)

I really like that display case, but if you make it mandatory for me to have a bling heading in it, I shall promptly cry.

The idea is awesomesauce and not very difficult to implement, at some point I'll share my code as I always do lol, but the kids always customise it to fit their FB's general look so a "best design" competition is still relevant.

Kind of related, though, about the amount of trophies (but not a consequence, rather a personal thought I came up with right now): I'm a bit worried that a massive amount of them will eventually reduce their value, and the sense of achievement. Building a Trophy case will delay that feeling, since they will want to keep track of as many as they can, pushing up their value, but at some point prize inflation will get ugly, and the award market will crash. Lol, I digress.

Thanks very much r3n! I'm looking forward to implementing your Trophy case idea. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see different opinions, and soon we will find a nice way to do it.

Lord Ravenclaw:
I really like that display case, but if you make it mandatory for me to have a bling heading in it, I shall promptly cry.
The bling heading was a suggestion for the official TNP dispatch cataloguing individual national trophy cases.

You can format your nation's trophy case in any way you want.

When you say bling r3n, I promptly imagine Chavs and die a little inside.

Eluvatar:
This is still an excellent idea.
When Elu gravedigs something you know it's something we have to resume conversation on. I love this idea.

Okay, so this idea needs to be pushed, promoted and made reality for two reasons:

1. There's a new level of WADP being created to reward consistent winners.

2. If people can associate success with levelling up, they'll work harder. They like to show off their achievements and badges.

This is an idea that I would love to work on, I believe it has the potential to do good things. Along with Ravenclaw, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring and spark this conversation back to life.

Back