The Pax Latina [IC]

Note: This is an IC thread with an OOC opening post. OP will be made IC when I figure out what to write. The OOC thread is here.

The Pax Latina
Remembering the Past to Plot our Future

The Pax Latina is an OOC organization representing what Imperium Augustum characterizes ICly as the 'culturally Latin sphere'. Translating to the 'Latin Peace', the Pax Latina is used to describe the Imperator's historic responsibility to assist in defending the independence of the nations that secured it through warfare with the Latin League and Imperium - Alainn, Floresque, and New Intelligensia (McMasterdonia) - and through mutually beneficial diplomacy and customary law - the Russian Republic, Kialga-Lourti, and Nierr. In this role, the Imperator recognizes himself as a peer and an equal to these nations, and our mutual interests in material and ontological security. As Imperium Augustum starts to secure itself as an actor on the international stage, through its negotiations with Nierr and Silly String, and through 'Operation Garibaldi' in preparing it to support its ideological and cultural allies McMasterdonia and Floresque, it has seen fit to also prepare itself to formalize its cultural and historic ties to these nations.

This thread is appropriate for discussing issues of IC relevance to the below 'eligible members' considered to be critical parts of Imperium Augustum's history, culture, and modern identity.

Eligible Members:

Imperium Augustum
Silly String
Floresque
Alainn
Nierr
McMasterdonia (New Intelligensia)

The Empire of Kannex is interested in pursuing favorable trade relations with the nations of Pax Latina. We are keenly interested in an economic agreement, by which all parties can benefit. Kannex exports consumer technology, such as smartphones and laptops, as well as automobiles and weaponry. We propose lower tariffs on key goods and a visa program for workers. After a period of international unrest, Kannex would very much like to see peace and prosperity.

The Pax Latina Augustine Tribunal
Chaired by Aemilius Ephyrus Angelis, Patrician Senator of Korinth

The "Latin Summit Report"

In address to the governments of the nationstates of the Pax Latina,
a membership limited to the following:
Silly String, Floresque, Alainn, Nierr, and McMasterdonia (New Intelligensia).

By order of Caesar Augustus, his Imperial Majesty, the Pax Latina Augustine Tribunal (PLAT) was convened to direct Imperium Augustum's Operation Garibaldi.

After much deliberation, the PLAT has seen fit to officially recommend that Imperium Augustum tender the cooperation of the afore-mentioned members of the Pax Latina in discussing multilateral cooperation to mitigate the effects of the current economic crisis (the crisis hereby referred to as 'Operation Antoniette'). To that end, the PLAT has convened the Angelis Inquiry to oversee a 'Latin Summit', formally inviting the heads of state and government, or a designated representative, of each of the afore-mentioned states.

The Angelis Inquiry intends to release the Angelis Report at the conclusion of the Summit, to direct economic, cultural, and socio-political cooperation between the attendees. The Report will be edited and produced by Aemelius Angelis, to be ratified by each attendee.

At this point in time, the PLAT intends to hold the summit in Alba Longa, at the August Palace. The PLAT is open to suggested alternative venues.

The PLAT wishes to make known the following intended agenda:

• Multinational infrastructure projects, particularly regarding rail and highway connections.
  • Environmental preservation projects, including an extension of bilateral plans between Imperium and Silly String regarding marine preservation.
  • Border control and territorial integrity agreements.
  • Industrial, trade, and professional standard agreements, including agreements to reduce the cost of cooperation in education and research.
  • Investment and financial agreements, to allow higher-risk members to diversify their exposure to the global market in exchange for FDI into lesser-risk members.
  • Aerospace technology and infrastructure agreements.

The PLAT is open to suggested amendments of the agenda both prior to and during any potential summit.

Relevant correspondance should be addressed to the Pax Latina Augustine Tribunal, August Senate. Note that correspondance will be copied upon receipt to both the Augustine Office, and the Office of Aemilius Ephyrus Angelis.

To: Pax Latina Augustine Tribunal, August Senate
From: The Office of Nahuel Wayra, Bureaucrat Extraoirdinaire

The String has voted overwhelmingly in favor of sending representatives to the Summit, and we look forward the projects and agreements that will result.

We have a proposed addition to the agenda: Tourism and travel agreements, to reduce financial and legal obstacles when traveling between Pax Latina nations and promote a healthy flow of money in tourism-dependent areas.

We propose this not only to benefit ourselves, but also out of concern for other popular travel destinations whose people might fall on hard times if tourism dries up. We hope that you will consider this as important as we do.

Yours in peace and friendship,
Nahuel

Drafted by: Whina Mere

[img=50,115]http://wiki.taijitu.org/w/images/thumb/e/e5/Umbrulacum_of_the_Signoria_of_Floresque.svg/334px-Umbrulacum_of_the_Signoria_of_Floresque.svg.png[/img]MINISTER'S OFFICE | FOREIGN MINISTRY OF FLORESQUE

To the Pax Latina Augustine Council,

After discussions with the Signoria and Gonfaloniere, I am pleased to announce that the Floregasque Republic will be sending a delegation to your proposed summit. The Republic has no issues with the proposed topics or location, and looks forward to working with the Council on the important issues it has brought to our attention.

Of particular interest to the Republic is improving road infrastructure going into the City of Floresque from the south. Improved roads will certainly lead to more cargo entering Floresque, and as a consequence of this we would also like to discuss lessening border restrictions and streamlining customs procedures to increase efficiency.

The Foreign Ministry will keep the Council posted with more news at it arrives, including the exact composition of the Republic's delegation to this summit.

Wishing the esteemed members of the Council all the best,

Piero d'Avelocci, Foreign Minister

The Pax Latina Augustine Tribunal
Chaired by Aemilius Ephyrus Angelis, Patrician Senator of Korinth

The "Latin Summit Report"

In address to the governments of the nationstates of the Pax Latina,
a membership limited to the following:
Silly String, Floresque, Alainn, Nierr, and McMasterdonia (New Intelligensia).

At this juncture in world politics, the PLAT feels that it is appropriate to extend a formal invitation to the members of the Pax Latina to the August Palace. Our intention is to convene a Latin Summit, discussing the prior-stated agenda. A crucial keystone of our intended agenda will encompass customs and border control agreements, to facilitate cargo, tourist, and working arrangements cross-borders.

Imperium also intends to introduce its ideas on interregional initiatives - we wish to pursue a discussion on aerospace cooperation, and environmental protection cooperation, between the attendees.

Details of timing and travel arrangements for attendees will be discussed in private channels forthwith.

Mere-rûn Administrative Offices
Mere-rûn Sacred Necropolis and Park
County Therelan, Myroria​

Msr. Caroline d'Vesuvio,

I write to you today to recommend that you consider Her Highness, Princess Johanna Jura for the position of Imperium's representative to the International Association of Nations. I have had the pleasure of meeting Her Highness during several state visits to the All-House Union and I consider her among the most respectful, intelligent, and even-headed foreigners to have ever paid respects at our sacred necropolis here at Mere-rûn.

In her last visit, shortly after the establishment of the Treaty of Non-Aligned Peoples/Novrith Pact, she was particularly attuned to the concerns of Myrorians about this new organization, which had the potential to disrupt their lives greatly. With just a few short remarks before the press here at the Administrative Offices, she assured many of them that Imperium and our nation's other new allies had little interest in disrupting Myroria's sacred and ancient traditions. That she would be able to do so here at Mere-rûn, the holiest of all holy sites in Myroria, where non-diplomatic foreigners are entirely forbidden, before gathered domestic press and pilgrims speaks to her skills of rhetoric and moderation.

It is widely reported that a member of the Conclave are likely to be presented as the August Household's recommendation for representative to the IAN. While I cannot be sure what His August Majesty is thinking, or who His August Majesty has in mind, I think Her Highness is clearly the best choice for this sensitive and political position. Even leaving aside the incident some years ago, when the other likely candidate sneaked into one of Myroria's lesser necropoli without proper authorization, Her Highness's experience and political savvy is unmatched among the Conclavists being considered for representative.

I hope this letter finds you well, and may the spirits and ancestors guide your decision.

With blessings,
Passarapal Mirathrerenumith, High Custodian and Grand Priest of Holy-And-Sacred Mere-rûn

National People's Congress
Executive Offices
Qeshir, Ilamzat​

Caroline d'Vesuvio,

I write to you today to recommend that you select Prince Varus Nascorus as Imperium's representative to the International Assocation of Nations.

I will tell a brief story: three years ago, my workplace, the Qeshiri Chickpea Canning Cooperative, took part in a solidarity strike and secondary boycott with the workers of Falafel Packers and Distributors of Ilamzat, who were striking for better pay at their distribution centers. For months truckers had to traverse roads still occasionally attacked by the Traitor Feridoun's loyalist forces, and had received no danger pay from their UWPI-MF-associated bosses. I have taken part in more pickets and more strikes than I can count, but what happened at the Qeshir packing facility, where I had stationed myself, shocked me.

At one point the workers began singing the song Do Not Cross a Picket Line, a song from the early years of the Ilamzati Revolution. The song was familiar to me, but I found myself singing the wrong lyrics in the second refrain. Translated roughly and unpoetically, the lyrics I knew were: "look out west to Mashaneh: the electricians have organized", but the striking workers were singing: "Look up north to Alba Longa: Prince Varus is in a union!" An exaggeration, perhaps, but it speaks to the Ilamzati admiration for your prince. I had never heard a good word said about a noble until that day.

I believe that Prince Varus, if selected as Imperium's representative to the IAN, would further the cause of the worker across the globe as far as participation in liberal democratic politics can. His voice has consistently been for the August worker and the August union member, and against the bosses and managers that seek nothing but profit. At the very least - to be as pragmatic as possible here - Prince Varus' appointment would guarantee an open mind from my party, the Front for the Establishment of a Proletarian Democracy, towards August initiatives in the IAN.

I hope this letter finds you well, and may Flem bless your endeavors.

Nasrin Hashtrudi
Representative to the National People's Congress
Front for the Establishment of a Proletarian Democracy (Syndicalist Faction)

Back