The Religion Thread

Syrixia:
plembobria:
Syrixia:
plembobria:
Syrixia:
Kannex:
Syrixia:
And there's another thing. Catholicism and Protestantism. How can they exist here? How was there a Reformation? Where was the Catholic Church located? And where the hell is our Canaan?
Who the hell cares?
If we do not know the backstories of our religions, we do not know the validities that make those religions what they are.
That is why we choose not to care.
Then how do we know our religions are valid? How do we know it's not just a random story some kid told and others bought, instead of teachings by and based off of actual events and important people?
We don't know they're valid, because we do not care. This argument is now a circle. We do not care, therefore it affects nothing. It affects nothing because we do not care.
How is an adherent to a religion supposed to follow it if no one cares about whether it is valid to begin with or not?
You write: "The Christians of Syrixia" or "Syrixia's Buddhists" or something similar and don't go into histories and other shit unless you are really desperate to.

These are imaginary people we're talking about, they don't really need the deep questions.

The Etebeans, in their earliest pre-history, gave the force of Entropy an anthropomorphic personification which became a deity to them. After their civilisation developed they further developed their religion by adding a creation myth that this deity had lived in a world before our own which had been in a state of eternal war until a horrifically P-Oed female warrior named NuhG’waq Ter, in vengeance for her slain mate, ended the war by slaughtering everything (the whole salting fields, searing the lands, apocalyptic rage sort of thing) before she gave birth to our universe, dying in childbirth. Her subsequent death and mother hood brought her an enormous sense of peace, transforming her into Marwolaeth. Separated from her children in our universe she desired to be reunited with her new family so she gave the world the gift of death as a means of granting us the same post-death immortality she had. The Etrebeans added a full pantheon of gods and goddesses, all of whom were entirely killable, in keeping with Marwolaeth's desire to eventually be reunited with her children. The only creatures exempt were the Sun King, an anthropomorphic personification of humanity's collective evil, and the dragon Kul Katura, a similar anthropomorphic personification but of humanity's wisdom, neither existed before humanity but rather were borne of it. (This is also why the Wolvesh have no use for gold as anything but a bartering tool with other nations, theres a whole myth about how the Sun God gave it his radiance, thus causing it to become cursed, while silver is viewed as a holy metal due to it's association with the moon, being Marwolaeth's gateway to our world, hence the Wolvesh' dedication to preserving the moon and only allowing underground colonies.)

After the Etrebean Empire fell through a combination of a plague and the corrupt, hamfisted self-preservational tendencies of the elected senate (basically they sequestered themselves away in country estates like Prince Prospero and diverted supplies from the cities, which increased the death tolls further. The survivors abandoned the cities and became the 25 tribes of the Wolvesh.) the other gods were 'killed off' but worshipped posthumously. Meanwhile they added the concept of Ravenbrook, a replica of Wolfsea's forests, as an afterlife in the world-before-the-world except it had no sun and was lit by bioluminescent plants.

Modern Wolvesh still believe in the existence of Marwolaeth and Ravenbrook but belief in the Sun King and the other gods has waned considerably and since there's never really been a concept of an organised, planned-out universe so they're not into crazy crap like creationism but yeah, you can pretty much summarise them as death-worshippers which, considering their entire culture was borne out of the period when they were warring tribes and they've only really grown out of that through unification around 1200 years ago, pretty much makes sense. Their code of honour is pretty much a result of a melding of their tribal culture and their religion (Theres no actual posthumous reward, more that they leave behind a good legacy to those who are still alive and have yet to be born, the Wolvesh take family very seriously.) but yeah, that's basically ti in the smallest nutshell I could find.

Wolfsea:
The Etebeans, in their earliest pre-history, gave the force of Entropy an anthropomorphic personification which became a deity to them. After their civilisation developed they further developed their religion by adding a creation myth that this deity had lived in a world before our own which had been in a state of eternal war until a horrifically P-Oed female warrior named NuhG’waq Ter, in vengeance for her slain mate, ended the war by slaughtering everything (the whole salting fields, searing the lands, apocalyptic rage sort of thing) before she gave birth to our universe, dying in childbirth. Her subsequent death and mother hood brought her an enormous sense of peace, transforming her into Marwolaeth. Separated from her children in our universe she desired to be reunited with her new family so she gave the world the gift of death as a means of granting us the same post-death immortality she had. The Etrebeans added a full pantheon of gods and goddesses, all of whom were entirely killable, in keeping with Marwolaeth's desire to eventually be reunited with her children. The only creatures exempt were the Sun King, an anthropomorphic personification of humanity's collective evil, and the dragon Kul Katura, a similar anthropomorphic personification but of humanity's wisdom, neither existed before humanity but rather were borne of it. (This is also why the Wolvesh have no use for gold as anything but a bartering tool with other nations, theres a whole myth about how the Sun God gave it his radiance, thus causing it to become cursed, while silver is viewed as a holy metal due to it's association with the moon, being Marwolaeth's gateway to our world, hence the Wolvesh' dedication to preserving the moon and only allowing underground colonies.)

After the Etrebean Empire fell through a combination of a plague and the corrupt, hamfisted self-preservational tendencies of the elected senate (basically they sequestered themselves away in country estates like Prince Prospero and diverted supplies from the cities, which increased the death tolls further. The survivors abandoned the cities and became the 25 tribes of the Wolvesh.) the other gods were 'killed off' but worshipped posthumously. Meanwhile they added the concept of Ravenbrook, a replica of Wolfsea's forests, as an afterlife in the world-before-the-world except it had no sun and was lit by bioluminescent plants.

Modern Wolvesh still believe in the existence of Marwolaeth and Ravenbrook but belief in the Sun King and the other gods has waned considerably and since there's never really been a concept of an organised, planned-out universe so they're not into crazy crap like creationism but yeah, you can pretty much summarise them as death-worshippers which, considering their entire culture was borne out of the period when they were warring tribes and they've only really grown out of that through unification around 1200 years ago, pretty much makes sense. Their code of honour is pretty much a result of a melding of their tribal culture and their religion (Theres no actual posthumous reward, more that they leave behind a good legacy to those who are still alive and have yet to be born, the Wolvesh take family very seriously.) but yeah, that's basically ti in the smallest nutshell I could find.
Ok holy wow.

New Aquilia:
So? If he wants dargons involved in his history, the fact Darc's no longer here should stop him why?
I meant Darcanian clan-dragon characters in his modern history. He talked briefly about Modern Wolfsea.

Syrixia:
New Aquilia:
*facepalms*
Wolfsea had a dragon clan descended from his Kul Katura called the Katura clan, hence why I mentioned it.
Actually the Kul Katura clan was a retcon me and Darcania came up with, the individual Kul Katura has always been a part of the Mythos, we just really used it as a springboard to open relations between our countries. Truth be told Kul Katura is actually a reference to a PSOne game, try and guess which one XD.

but seriously, the Kul Katura in Marledi is just a vague religious symbol left over from the Etrebean Empire who was supposed to choose the next "Dragon-King" and advise him.

I published this factbook on Kul Katura on February 6th:
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=the_kingdom_of_wolfsea/detail=factbook/id=364595
while the first canonical RP appearance of the Dragon-Clan was March 29th:
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7369592/1/

I done some information on this: http://www.nationstates.net/nation=new_sekai/detail=factbook/id=348887 .

Explaining my nations demographics - religion:

"The First Amendment of the U.S.O.N.S. Constitution guarantees the free exercise of religion and forbid The Ichiinsei from passing laws respecting its establishment. The United States of New Sekai is a atheism nation with the majority of population is atheists. However, Christianity is by far the most common religion practiced in The U.S.O.N.S., but other religions are followed, too. In a 2013 survey,56% Jumin No Kushos said that religion doesn't played a "Very important role in their lives.", a far higher figure than that of any other wealth nation. In 2009 Gyarappu poll 42% of Jumin No Kushos said that they attended church weekly or almost weekly; the figure ranged from a low of 23% in Mazu to a high of 63% in Daiku.

As with other western countries, The U.S.O.N.S. is becoming less religious. Irreligion is growing rapidly among Jumin No Kushos under 30. Polls show that overall Jumin No Kushos confidence in organized religion in declining, and that younger Jumin No Kushos in particular are becoming increasingly irreligious. According to a 2012 study, Protestant share of U.S.O.N.S. population dropped to 48%, thus ending its status as religion of the majority for the first time.

According to a 2014 survey, 70.6% of adults identified themselves as atheist, Christian and Protestant denominations accounted for 46.5%, while Roman Catholicism, at 20.8%, was the largest individual denomination. The total reporting non-christian religions in 2014 was 5.9%. Other religions including Judaism (1.9%), Islam (0.9%), Buddhism (0.7%) and Hinduism (0.7%). The survey also reported that 22.8% of Jumin No Kushos described themselves as agnostic or simple having no religion, up from 8.2% in 1990. There are also Unitarian Universalist, Baha'i, Sikh, Jain, Shinto, Confucian, Taoist, Druid, Native Jumin No Kushos, Wiccan, Humanist and Deist communities."

I'm putting this information to help you out to learn more about the religions in The United States of New Sekai and our how it work.

(I hope is realistic?)

Western countries is a term used in the real world. Here, it would be more like Eastern countries.

Anyway, you say irreligion is going up in eastern countries. Not true. Many Syrixians, for example, are religious, though not overly devout.

Syrixia:
Western countries is a term used in the real world. Here, it would be more like Eastern countries.

Anyway, you say irreligion is going up in eastern countries. Not true. Many Syrixians, for example, are religious, though not overly devout.
Oh ok. What you saying most nations in The North Pacific (Who do role-playing) is like eastern countries in politics sense? Can you explain that more?

Anyway, I would mostly considered my nation to mostly western but little bit eastern due politics.

Oh, but that is just Syrixia, what about other nations in The North Pacific?

Mr Insanity:
Syrixia:

Oh ok. What you saying most nations in The North Pacific (Who do role-playing) is like eastern countries in politics sense? Can you explain that more?

Anyway, I would mostly considered my nation to mostly western but little bit eastern due politics.

What he's saying is that we're all eastern countries in TNP because we are all located on the Eastern side of the map (the new continents being the western side of the map).

Kannex:
Your numbers don't add up...
God dammit wikipedia, if you notice I based my nation on mostly USA and possible bit other countries. I use the information from wikipedia.

Thank you for telling me this.

Hiskjriaana:
Mr Insanity:
Syrixia:

What he's saying is that we're all eastern countries in TNP because we are all located on the Eastern side of the map (the new continents being the western side of the map).
Yes. However, it isn't just geographical. Technically "eastern nations" refers to the First World of industrialized capitalist nations run by a democracy or a constitutional monarchy. "Western nations" refers to the second world, nations who do not trust the East entirely and prefer a more introverted style of government. Prominent examples include Añola and Naizerre.

Syrixia:
Hiskjriaana:
Mr Insanity:
Syrixia:

Yes. However, it isn't just geographical. Technically "eastern nations" refers to the First World of industrialized capitalist nations run by a democracy or a constitutional monarchy. "Western nations" refers to the second world, nations who do not trust the East entirely and prefer a more introverted style of government. Prominent examples include Añola and Naizerre.
Oh I see. Guess I was partly right about that.

Syrixia:
Hiskjriaana:
Mr Insanity:
Syrixia:

That isn't necessarily true just because you claim that it is. You aren't the guy who decides the way everything is run. I would say that in TNP we do not have so clear a distinction between Eastern/Western and First World vs Second World as the real world does. It would be best to refer to countries by their geographical position.

mcmasterdonia:
That isn't necessarily true just because you claim that it is. You aren't the guy who decides the way everything is run. I would say that in TNP we do not have so clear a distinction between Eastern/Western and First World vs Second World as the real world does. It would be best to refer to countries by their geographical position.
I never said it was official. That was just my point of view.

Back