Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
Category: Free Trade
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Imperium Anglorum
Onsite discussion topic

Imperium Anglorum:
Description: Acknowledging the importance of economic actions and the ability for strong economies to guarantee good standards of living for its actors,

Recalling this Assembly's many resolutions and particularly GA Resolution 68, National Economic Freedoms, but,

Conceding that the World Assembly has an extremely strong role in economic freedoms as it can set worldwide policy and prices for goods and services,

This august World Assembly, subject to limitations created by prior resolutions of the World Assembly, hereby
  1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, 'World Assembly' to mean the General Assembly and all committees and subcommittees thereof as well as all institutions and organisations created by the World Assembly and accountable to the World Assembly;
  2. Prohibits the future imposition of:
    • any compulsory contribution to the revenues of the World Assembly (including, but not limited to, taxes or fees based on income, gross domestic product, imports, exports, or wealth) by the World Assembly for a non-general purpose and
    • any fixed, static, percentage-based, or pegged price regime on goods or services by the World Assembly;
  3. Forbids the World Assembly from levying future mandatory payments on member nations for:
    • products or services rendered by the World Assembly outside of World Assembly property or
    • services rendered by the World Assembly to member governments;
  4. Clarifies that nothing in this resolution is to be interpreted as prohibiting the compulsory contribution of funds for general purposes or levying of fees for the use of World Assembly properties by World Assembly delegations;
  5. Expands the Impartial Mediation Foundation's (IMF) scope to include the mediation of financial and funding disputes between the World Assembly and member nations;
  6. Directs member nations to prohibit egregious examples of insider trading and take actions to liberalise market information.

Ministry Determination
Written by: Separatist Peoples
Vote Recommendation: AGAINST

This resolution seeks to prevent all other avenues of funding outside of the General Assembly General Fund, which is paid through donations from member states. While many would find this blocker to be in the best interests of their insular nations, the actual results of this measure would likely bankrupt programs that bolster weak economies and oversight committees that prevent egregious abuse of national power against their citizens.

On the whole, the resolution is well reasoned and well written, but it's only action clause, clause 6, isn't even related to the gist of the resolution, and is in included to make it legal according to the No Pure Blockers rule.

However, it's hard to move on without observing that there is a serious question as to whether or not this even is legal, as there is a strong case that the WA cannot recuse itself of power in the manner this proposal attempts. Given the serious workload on the moderators, there is a definite chance that this legal challenge went unaddressed.

It is the determination, then, that it is in the best interests of The North Pacific to vote Against.

Message from the Author:
Imperium Anglorum:
To: Foreign Secretary, Zemnaya Svoboda

Good morning, Right Honourable Foreign Secretary for Zemnaya Svoboda. I am writing to request your approval of my proposal National Economic Freedoms.

The World Assembly, in recent times, has attempted to continually levy larger and more onerous taxes on our nations, some proposals even demanding upwards of 1% of gross national product to be entirely diverted from your government to the hands of the World Assembly.

That massive amount of tax revenue (especially since experience has shown that most governments make up about 20% of their economies) would then be earmarked for wasteful government projects directly run by the World Assembly without nation's oversight or even basic supervision.

It has also, in recent times, attempted to charge fees for services and products sold by your nations, in effect, a tariff which siphons a small amount of money from your citizens to the World Assembly's coffers, making your exports less viable and destroying jobs and livelihoods.

This proposal seeks to prohibit wasteful earmarked taxation from happening in the future. This proposal seeks to prevent the World Assembly from levying more and more taxes on your government and wasting the proceeds by nipping it in the bud. It seeks to keep your government's revenues operational and prevent the World Assembly from taking the best of your nation and squandering it on a project which is irrelevant to your national interests.

If you would honour us by approving our proposal to keep your nations free from the taxation power of the World Assembly and keep its finances honest and accountable, this the proposal is here.

page=UN_view_proposal/id=imperium_anglorum_1438456143

Do not hesitate to telegram us with any questions or to visit the General Assembly floor with your concerns.

Thank you for your time and consideration, I beg to remain, your humble servant,

Sir John Clegg-Wilson,
Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, Imperium Anglorum

This is a blocker, which might be illegal, which tries to block all compulsory appropriations of funds by the GA.

The clause on insider trading is to keep it from being a pure blocker, which is apparently illegal by the GA rules.

I look at it as a dishonest attempt to severely limit the ability of the WA to function, and will be voicing my opinion as AGAINST.

A response from the author:
Imperium Anglorum:
If I could send a correction for your post in the North Pacific forums on my proposal.

>This is a blocker, which might be illegal, which tries to block all compulsory appropriations of funds by the GA.
>
> The clause on insider trading is to keep it from being a pure blocker, which is apparently illegal by the GA rules.
>
>I look at it as a dishonest attempt to severely limit the ability of the WA to function, and will be voicing my opinion as AGAINST.

The proposal which I sent to the World Assembly has a large distinction in it between General Fund expenditures and non-general expenditures. The proposal specifically bans non-general levying of taxes in (2).a but the ending of that sentence explicitly allows non-general assessment of mandatory donations.

My attempt to defund the WA is nothing more than an attempt to prevent earmarked spending from occurring and new levies for the sole purpose of funding only a certain resolution and its commitments.

Thank you for reading this,

Imperium Anglorum

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back