A New Factbook Style

Looks good. Let me know if you need any help with coding or getting a particular look.

PS: There is nothing wrong with using a similar style to Syrixia. The two of us used to use a similar layout for our Factbooks till I went slightly overboard with redesigning mine.

:facepalm:

Not even the Roman Empire could attain that amount of land. That's practically impossibly big. Your Castian Empire also covers some other nations' lands, which is just plain godmodding. Each nation has their own history; respect it. Plus, if you're talking Roman Empire, how come there aren't a ton of languages spoken all across TNP that are based off of the Castian language? Nessuno tried this with "Terra Nullius" and I gave him the same advice. Make your past empires big, but not too big. Otherwise, it's just godmodding and infringing on other nations' histories. Now I am passing this advice to you. A good example would be the Syrixian Empire's map on my factbook. It's big and powerful and had one of the region's biggest armies during that time, but it's not super big.

Remember, nation size is not at all related to nation strength. You could easily have a nation the size of Kentucky have a giant army and a massive economy, with the right historical, political and economical statistics and basises.

Again, though, this is all just my :2c: ; but I strongly urge you to consider it. I guarantee it'll help. :)

That would make the Castian Empire around the size of Mexico, I think. An ancient empire would, realistically, not be able in any way to control an area the size of Mexico without fragmenting. Castia would leave little to no legacy.

And I just found this: "by an Empire originating in Modern-Day Northern Morheim"

I'd love I dread to see what Morheim would think about a "region-dominating empire" in HIS nation that HE doesn't control.

Syrixia:
That would make the Castian Empire around the size of Mexico, I think. An ancient empire would, realistically, not be able in any way to control an area the size of Mexico without fragmenting. Castia would leave little to no legacy.
The Aztecs did exactly that (well, the part able to be lived in; nobody controlled the northern desert wastelands) until the Spanish invaded. Tenochtitlan was the biggest city in the world at the time. The Chaco Canyon culture controlled an area covering most of Arizona and New Mexico. Alexander and Rome made empires far greater than those, as did the Chinese and the Mongolians. Yes they all eventually "fragmented", but it was all for different reasons not related to the sheer size of the empire.

Checked the numbers, and modern China is 5 times the size of Mexico. Most of the ancient dynasties were far larger than what was claimed here.

But yeah, your point stands that that is trampling on a lot of other nation's privileges.

*gets out atlas of world history and checks Wikipedia*

In my opinion, Syrixia's claims are weak at best. At the time of the Roman Empire's division, the Gupta Empire controlled much of northern India directly and controlled a hegemony as far north as the Indus and as far south as the Deccan.

What's more, three hundred years before Rome had Italy under their heel, the Achaemenid Empire ruled Persia, Mesopotamia, Turkey, Syria, Egypt, and much what is now Kazakhstan, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. The empire survived for another two hundred years after that. At their height, they controlled about 4 times the area of Mexico.

So I'd say that Sytarenne's claim is perfectly reasonable.

It's not entirely reasonable, but not in the way Syrixia is emphasising.

If - and I'll point out that no-one's actually asked Sytarenne this - Sytarenne hasn't actually cleared anything of this with the people whose modern day lands fall under this empire then I would put that down as unreasonable. It isn't godmodding though.

I'm sure Sytarenne has or will ask those players or look at their factbooks and see if they have any existing history for that period, and they can go from there. They don't have to do anything, I'll emphasise, but can either come to an agreed upon history with those nations or people can just consider that non-canon to them. It's a fairly good factbook and the concept isn't impossible (certainly the Russian Empire that is in mine and Eluvatar's joint history possibly controlled a large amount of land in its heyday).

Everyone needs to chill out a little bit. :)

However, it depends about each nation's own personal history. If the Empire's history infringes on another nation's own, it's a no-no.
Size isn't a problem; the British and Mongolian empires were more than 30 million sqaure kilometes each at their peaks.
Also, they would leave a legacy behind, which would have mysteriously disappeared from other nations.

Xentherida:
However, it depends about each nation's own personal history. If the Empire's history infringes on another nation's own, it's a no-no.
Size isn't a problem; the British and Mongolian empires were more than 30 million sqaure kilometes each at their peaks.
Also, they would leave a legacy behind, which would have mysteriously disappeared from other nations.
Remember that we are talking Roman times, however I've pointed out the size issue's irrelevance.

If I were you I'd check through the other factbooks of the countries that are in that area and make sure that they don't have anything going at that time. You should probably just ask them if it's okay; if they don't have anything in the factbook for that time you should be good.

It's not entirely a no-no. With history and background, largely its cannon issues. Someone could claim to have once ruled all of TNP thousands of years ago or something and I could either ignore that, or use that as fluff in my own writing.

For example, say I need to write a scene set in some kind of place of learning. I could have my character walk through the halls to their destination, making small talk with another character, who points out a random professor or something who has a theory or has written a book about how an ancient empire once ruled the lands.

It's something I always try to apply to my writing, random stuff that comes up that I can use as fluff is always useful to pad it out. Stops posts that would otherwise be quite short being so.

Nierr:
It's not entirely a no-no. With history and background, largely its cannon issues. Someone could claim to have once ruled all of TNP thousands of years ago or something and I could either ignore that, or use that as fluff in my own writing.

For example, say I need to write a scene set in some kind of place of learning. I could have my character walk through the halls to their destination, making small talk with another character, who points out a random professor or something who has a theory or has written a book about how an ancient empire once ruled the lands.

It's something I always try to apply to my writing, random stuff that comes up that I can use as fluff is always useful to pad it out. Stops posts that would otherwise be quite short being so.
BTW Nierr, whats your nationstates nation?

Added some stuff on Technology, Armed Forces, and Communications so they aren't just empty and saying 'This is coming soon...'

Back