NPTO Reform

Kannex

TNPer
I seem to have lost the ability to post in the NPTO voting chambers, so let's continue the discussion here.

I'm suggesting we get rid of the Peace Council, because it gives too much power to a select group of members. The consolidation of powers into the Assembly would benefit the organization.

The PC oversees the Peacekeeping force. It ensures that nations with more responsible military practices oversee the matter.

The assignment of the military power of the organization to so-called "responsible" powers gives unfair influence to a select group of NPTO members. The whole point of an intergovernmental organization is lost if some nations are given precedence over others. The failure of the NPTO to intervene in either stage of the recent war is an example of the flawed "responsibility" system of the NPTO. If the Peace Council is so responsible, how come it allowed Rhuvanland, a sovereign nation, to be blatantly invaded? While the invasion went on, the NPTO went on a useless debate to suspend the vice-chairman, instead of solving the real problem. How come it let Cronaal go up in flames?

Kannex:
The assignment of the military power of the organization to so-called "responsible" powers gives unfair influence to a select group of NPTO members. The whole point of an intergovernmental organization is lost if some nations are given precedence over others. The failure of the NPTO to intervene in either stage of the recent war is an example of the flawed "responsibility" system of the NPTO. If the Peace Council is so responsible, how come it allowed Rhuvanland, a sovereign nation, to be blatantly invaded? While the invasion went on, the NPTO went on a useless debate to suspend the vice-chairman, instead of solving the real problem. How come it let Cronaal go up in flames?
This. Just this. Totally this. Salad smothered in "This" dressing. "This" shaving cream on a man's hairy face.

Syrixia:
Kannex:
This. Just this. Totally this. Salad smothered in "This" dressing. "This" shaving cream on a man's hairy face.
Syrixia, I've been riding rollercoasters all day, so I am already a little nauseous. This almost put me over the edge. :ill:

Lol. But anyways I do agree. The PC, by existing, gives control over the NPTOPF and its missions to a small group of nations. That sounds like an oligarchy to me. The NPTOPF should be controlled by the masses, by the Assembly!

Syrixia:
Lol. But anyways I do agree. The PC, by existing, gives control over the NPTOPF and its missions to a small group of nations. That sounds like an oligarchy to me. The NPTOPF should be controlled by the masses, by the Assembly!
You changed reasons halfway through the argument. Do you want the Peace Council gone because you want the masses in control, or yourself?

Syrixia:
Military force should emphatically not be in the hands of the masses. Once again, the primary purpose of the PC is to exercise restraint.

plembobria:
Syrixia:
Military force should emphatically not be in the hands of the masses. Once again, the primary purpose of the PC is to exercise restraint.
Well then the PC has shown remarkable restraint. So remarkable, in fact, one might think the Peace Council is restraining peace itself... the NPTO cannot respond quickly to crises like this. It already failed to play any part in resolving the Rhuvanland and Cronaal fronts. It failed to condemn gross, blatant violation of national sovereignty, the cornerstone of Westphalian nation-states and their dealings. OOC-wise, we haven't even seen any debates worth mentioning. There is not even good RP drama, and a major reason is because there is hardly any action in the NPTO. In respect to the RP, it is simply not fun when a small group of players control the power. This current system is simply more imperfect than allowing the 'unruly masses' to take control. The NPTO ought to be democratic.

Agreed. Either the PC steps up and does its job, or the Assembly takes over and democratizes the process. Either would lead to good results, but I'm concerned the former just won't happen.

I don't believe you two are understanding exactly what the Peace Council does. The Assembly can condemn, hold debates, and the like. The only powers our Council has are approving operations, and approving executive policy.

So then, really, what you're saying is the Peace Council controls the NPTO as an oligarchy. Without the PC, NPTO can't really physically DO anything against a threat besides condemn.

Syrixia:
So then, really, what you're saying is the Peace Council controls the NPTO as an oligarchy. Without the PC, NPTO can't really physically DO anything against a threat besides condemn.
This may answer your question. I'd suggest reading the fifth, sixth, and seventh part of this.

This makes me feel a bit better.:
5. Override any vote of the Peace Council by a two thirds majority vote.
But I'm still not satisfied. I propose that if the Peace Council does not make a decision within two to four days, the decision be placed in the hands of the Assembly, similar to how the SC handles applications, so a decision can actually be made if the Peace Council is inactive. (Which it is.)

Syrixia:
This makes me feel a bit better.:
5. Override any vote of the Peace Council by a two thirds majority vote.
But I'm still not satisfied. I propose that if the Peace Council does not make a decision within two to four days, the decision be placed in the hands of the Assembly, similar to how the SC handles applications, so a decision can actually be made if the Peace Council is inactive. (Which it is.)
I feel like you're never satisfied.

Then I'm doing a good job as a leader. I'm finding stuff for us to improve on and starting conversations about it.

Responsibility for military affairs must be placed at the disposal of those countries who actually care and intervene in the world stage for the sake of international law, not the old fogies who preach "restraint" and let the NPTO and the world order rot.

Throwing more soldiers into a conflict immediately doesn't necessarily mean you'll win. Sometimes you end up with more dead soldiers.

Anyway, the PC approves missions, it doesn't propose them. The Assembly is supposed to elect a commander-in-chief. That would be more of his job.

Secondly, the war RPs going on recently have been moving very fast. The war is started, fought, and won all in a day. Don't expect the currently three members of the PC to notice right away and save swoop in and save you. RPI is the RA speaker. I am a justice, a rather busy one at the moment.

If you want the PC to approve a mission, propose one. You might want to provide some justification.

Syrixia:
The Assembly has broad power. They can make any law which is binding on all member nations. Any law. They also have the right to establish offices. Today, or later this week, I'll propose a resolution that demonstrates this.

Once again, the PC only approve missions.

Precisely why the Peace Council should be abolished. It's obsolete and useless, only serves to slow things down at best and monopolizes power at the expense of the Assembly at worst. If you can't respond quickly, then don't. Leave it to the Assembly. Make it so that the Assembly proposes, adopts, and approves operations.

plembobria:
The Assembly is supposed to elect a commander-in-chief.
Then explain how the Chairman's seat transition also gave the new Chair the commander position? I demand an election!

Then I demand an election for Peacekeeping Forces commander immediately! The Chairman being the NPTOPF commander is a mischarter.

It said Susan Smith before. Did you edit it?

Also, when does the CiC's term run out?

Syrixia:
It said Susan Smith before. Did you edit it?

Also, when does the CiC's term run out?
I haven't touched the OP. It looks like Cascadia edited it. Looks to me that would be four months from the creation of NPTOPF.

The NPTOPF was created formally on February 19th. Thus, it has now been 9 days since elections for the CiC were supposed to start.

Back