"Families"

r3naissanc3r:
I've always found NS families to be not just absurd and pointless, but on the balance harmful to regional culture. We shouldn't import them in TNP, certainly not in any prominent manner.

I think I am or used to be Nierr's brother through Earth, not sure what the family name was. From among current citizens, I may have also been Cormac's brother (same link as with Nierr), and I used to be married to NES for a while (a marriage we were using primarily to mock the family system :P ).
I believe, and don't quote me on this, that it is Capulet. I done some digging in Europeia recently on Earth and Unibot's family history.

Nierr:
I'm not entirely sure what version of Earth I was son of though. Because there was Osiris semi-GoT-like Earth character married to Biyah, her existing connection back to Europeia and then she was married to Unibot in some sort of other way. It's very odd and obviously I disavow any connection to the Unibot link (as i'm sure you and p. much everyone who may have been involved in that one does).
I have a faint recollection that, when Unibot "married" Earth, he "adopted" all of her existing kids (which included some Europeians, UDLers, and Osirans) except for me. I vaguely remember someone joking that I was like the Jon Snow of the Unibot-Earth family and, as at the time I knew nothing about SoIaF and GoT, they had to explain to me what that meant. I suppose I got lucky there :P .

These are all very vague memories though, so they may not be accurate.

Man so much of that little is vague. I think I ended up related to Tim and Cormac at least?

Hands up who isn't already related to someone in this room!

No... No, Kevin... put your hand down Kevin...

Well if the Sanguine family takes off many people in this thread will be related :3

That said, should I start it?

Syrixia:
On the contrary, I think it'll make our culture much more fun!
They tend to encourage nepotism, I've seen it become a serious issue in a few regions.

Moreover, surprisingly frequently "family affairs" degenerate into personal, mostly OOC and very nasty, disputes.

Granted, it doesn't always happen. But it happens often enough that I'd rather steer clear, especially since the supposed benefits are so tenuous.

From the looks of it, Ryccia from TSP and Kaiser from Europeia are interested in joining. No response from Lazarus yet.

Although Kris Kringle did wish us good luck :D

(EDIT: No, not Santa. The Kris Kringle from TSP.)

r3naissanc3r:
Syrixia:
On the contrary, I think it'll make our culture much more fun!
They tend to encourage nepotism, I've seen it become a serious issue in a few regions.

Moreover, surprisingly frequently "family affairs" degenerate into personal, mostly OOC and very nasty, disputes.

Granted, it doesn't always happen. But it happens often enough that I'd rather steer clear, especially since the supposed benefits are so tenuous.
This has been my experience as well. Any attempt to take "family" seriously degrades into something really unpleasant.

I think it can be beneficial were it to be some kind of actual rped thing like some kind of GoT/Downtown Abbey/insert period type show here rather than just 'i am x and y is my son and he is married to z'.

Perhaps we could do that as well, and I would like that, but let's use the normal family structure as a basis.

flemingovia:
Everyone who walks in the light of God is a member of the family of Flemingovia. What more could you want?
BTJCMjgCIAAEr_p.png:large

Nierr:
I think it can be beneficial were it to be some kind of actual rped thing like some kind of GoT/Downtown Abbey/insert period type show here rather than just 'i am x and y is my son and he is married to z'.
If it were RPed, maybe. But only if people were playing characters, and not themselves.

The "I'll vote for you for delegate because you're my NS father, tee hee" shit is genuinely bad for a region.

Oh indeed. It's just as bad as when delegates and other candidates are handpicked by those that came before them.

I'll put that in the family's honor code. Don't vote for family members because they're family.

Well at least you've given me a clear list of people to not trust with the slightest bit of responsibility in FA whilst I'm Minister. Thanks for the heads up ^^

Also you might want to not use the CoA of Trinidad and Tobago. I'm assuming there's people in your family who are at least sympathetic to the LGBT cause and might rethink their participation should they find out that in Trinidad and Tobago it is illegal for people to be gay.

Just a heads up. ^^

Syrixia:
I actually didn't know that. Lemme find another one.
It's one of those lesser known things. People assume that the biggest gay hating countries are your Irans, your Saudi Arabias etc but some of the worst offenders are states like Jamaica.

plembobria:
Myroria:
NS dynasties/families are the stupidest thing ever.

It's merely a way for people to coast along on their name from region to region without ever having to prove that they have any worth... just like real life.
Is that why they were banned in Taijitu-land?
Apologies for the tardy reply.

They were banned in our egalitarian, revolutionary democracy because they stand in opposition to everything Taijitu's Glorious Revolution represents. While the Revolution was dedicated to equality, liberty, and democracy, noble houses are dedicated to plutocracy, oppression, and aristocracy.

That being said, the Bill of Rights does allow for people to go by their noble names, but they will not be recorded in any official government documents as anything other than "Citizen" (or "Resident") [name].

We also banned forum titles based on post number.

Myroria:
plembobria:
Myroria:
NS dynasties/families are the stupidest thing ever.

It's merely a way for people to coast along on their name from region to region without ever having to prove that they have any worth... just like real life.
Is that why they were banned in Taijitu-land?
Apologies for the tardy reply.

They were banned in our egalitarian, revolutionary democracy because they stand in opposition to everything Taijitu's Glorious Revolution represents. While the Revolution was dedicated to equality, liberty, and democracy, noble houses are dedicated to plutocracy, oppression, and aristocracy.

We also banned forum titles based on post number.
Hah! Denying people the right to name themselves based on a fictional family doesn't violate the right to free speach?

Taijitu's hilarious revolutionary citizen-government seems rather post-French revolutionary. I love it. I really do.

Sorry, edited my post to clarify that point. :)

An act to guillotine all outgoing elected officials narrowly failed some months ago. But I'm hijacking.

Myroria:
Sorry, edited my post to clarify that point. :)

An act to guillotine all outgoing elected officials narrowly failed some months ago. But I'm hijacking.
:rofl:

I wish that was passed. Too bad. :bye:

Back