official floof
-
Pronouns
he/they
TNP Nation
Darcania
Discord
@zephyrkul
Mainly this thread is for me to put down drafts of what will be in my Factbook once I work out any kinks in the words, or what will be in my Factbook after I add any needed BBCode. Since both would likely take a while, since I'm very lazy when it comes to my Factbook, I figured this would be a good place for me to put information while I slowly get my Factbook together.

Comments are welcome and appreciated.

First up is a series of verses or something about the religion of Darcania. (edit: which is now outdated, please see this link instead.)

The Beginning
[c]In the beginning, there was naught but a silent void.

Within this void, Hope formed.
Within this silence, Hope created.

And so the world began.

Hope, with her actions, split the silent void.
The Void, no longer silent, sought to return Hope's creation to nothing.
The Silence, no longer empty, sought to assist Hope's creation to flourish.

Silence saw the strongest in the world hold their strength immortal.
Silence saw the Void seeking to end Hope's creation.
Silence proposed to Hope a solution.

Hope would ensure all things had a beginning.
Silence would ensure all things had an end.

And so Time began.
Within this construct, Life flourished.
The Dragons
[c]The first of Hope's creations were the Derkesthai, the gods of the new world.
They, born before Time, believed themselves immune to its effects.
As Time passed, they were untouched, never growing old as Life did.

Silence, seeing their hubris, gave them their end.

As more Time passed, their strength waned.
For each millennium, fewer remained.

The wisest among them retained their powers and longevity.
The rest became puppets of Time.
They became the Dragons.

Some Dragons, seeking forgiveness, worshiped Silence.
Some Dragons, seeking equanimity, worshiped Hope.
Some Dragons, seeking revenge, worshiped the Void.
Zephyr
[c]Many millenia passed.
The last Derkesthai met their end.
The Dragons had become complacent in the ways of Life.

Hope appeared before Aeolus kul Verdant.
His first-born son was to be a new beginning for the Derkesthai.

The Dragons celebrated.
Hope had given them a chance.
Her next creation would lead them to a golden age.
Her next creation would return their lost power.

The Void sensed a chance.
This new beginning could create an end to Hope's creations.
The Void corrupted this Derkesthai.

And so Zephyr kul Verdant began his life.
The Blood Age
[c]Hope appeared before the Elder, warning of the Void's corruption.
The Elder ordered Aeolus to execute Zephyr.
Aeolus obeyed.

But it is no small task to kill a Derkesthai.
Zephyr survived and, in a rage, killed Aeolus.
He flew the world over, killing all who dared cross his path.
He found the last Elder and executed her.

Zephyr, red from the blood of his victims, disappeared.

The Dragons, devoid of all hope and faith, lost their way.
They waged war with each other, losing themselves in battle after battle.
Hope wept at what her creations had become.

Note that, since this is religion, it is obviously not fact. So don't take it at face value. Most notably, Zephyr is not an actual god; he's just a strong, long-lived dragon.

Last edited:
Cascadia:
Very nice, Darcania. What are you currently working on?
A verse for Adalet, a clanless dragon who ended the Blood Age. First, though, I'm going to take a break.

Considering a few questions asked in this thread, I'll be adding information about dragons. First, I'll be talking about their numbers, then transition to clan structure. Note that the numbers below apply only to sapient dragons; non-sapient species are not considered, and are a rare sight nowadays anyway.

While it's near impossible to track exactly how many dragons exist in the world of Eve, it is estimated that there are about 600,000 in all, resulting in a population density of about 0.02 (1/50) dragons per square kilometer.

A fit dragon can fly at about 30 kilometers per hour on average, if they wish to travel far, or up to 45 kilometers per hour in shorter bursts. They can maintain the first for up to twenty hours on average; the second they can maintain for up to an hour on average.

From the above fact, one can estimate (correctly) that there are approximately one hundred "regions" (sorry, the math literally came out with that exact number), or collections of nearby dragon clans, in the world. Each region contains approximately 20 clans on average, with each clan having, on average, 200 dragons. Dragons are named by their given name, followed by "kul", followed by their clan name.

If you find that the above facts are incongruous in some way, you would be correct. With the above numbers, the average dragons per clan should be 300; however, not all dragons are part of a clan. These dragons are usually referred to by the name of their region instead, or simply by their given name with no suffix.

Each clan has a meeting to discuss happenings either nearby or within approximately every year, though some clans may have these meetings more or less often depending on their customs. Each region has similar meetings between clan leaders approximately every five years. Finally, every twenty years, representatives from all regions meet in Wyssiria to discuss matters the world over. The above meetings function as a legislative for the nation of Darcania.

Of particular note are two clans which are functionally dissimilar to the others: Klarliert and Sanguine. Klarliert is a "clan" comprised entirely of humans, represented by its mayor. As Klarliert dramatically outnumbers Kroning, the only other clan in its region, and has significantly more vested interest in the happenings of the world, Klarliert has an unusually large say in the legislative workings of Darcania compared to other clans. It is also notable for differing drastically in its inner workings; as a human city, its government meets much more often and has a much more formal approach.

Sanguine, meanwhile, is a "clan" comprised solely of exiles. While it is very, very rare for a dragon to be exiled instead of executed or imprisoned, dragons which manage to evade the above punishments are instead branded with the clan name Sanguine; in exchange, these dragons may live without being constantly hunted down, so long as they do not commit any further major crimes. Currently, only one dragon is branded as Sanguine: Zephyr kul Sanguine, who has consistently held the title for several centuries.

I'm thinking of only a single one, a feathered variant name Kukulkan. :)

(I'm not certain about this; just thinking about what's lurking in our unexplored jungle.)

I'm looking to have a different species of dragons, perhaps with a dissimilar horn shape, or eye color, or whatever.

Piscivore:
I'm thinking of only a single one, a feathered variant name Kukulkan. :)
There are separate species. My next post (which will likely take a while, since I'm getting really tired of seeing the RP forum being destroyed thanks to... well) will deal with the different species and where they can usually be found. A map will, naturally, be provided. I'll make sure the "feathered" variety appear near you.
Kannex:
I'm looking to have a different species of dragons, perhaps with a dissimilar horn shape, or eye color, or whatever.
There is an incredible aesthetic variety in each of the different species. Just the scaled ones can have different eye colors, scale colors, horn shape, etc.

[me] casts Revive. It's not very effective...

A log from Discord last night where I described several aspects of Darcania, the nation. Posting here so I don't lose any of it.

[6:54 PM] Darcania: Darcania is a sort of strange breed of monarchy
[6:54 PM] Iraelia, Mini-Syrixia: Which clan runs Darcania?
[6:54 PM] Darcania: None
[6:54 PM] Iraelia, Mini-Syrixia: Ah, how does it operate then?
[6:55 PM] Darcania: Well, it's essentially a series of circles, in a way
[6:55 PM] Darcania: each clan is a circle and has a clan leader
[6:55 PM] Darcania: a region with several clans can meet when they wish, where clan leaders and clanless dragons in the region can meet
[6:56 PM] Darcania: and then there's Zusammenkommen (name will likely be changed) where clan / region leaders all meet
[6:56 PM] Darcania: and that's the legislative essentially
[6:56 PM] Darcania: Then there's the Elder, essentially our monarch
[6:56 PM] Iraelia, Mini-Syrixia: Who is the current elder?
[6:56 PM] Darcania: Full authority for life, but elected
[6:57 PM] Darcania: and can be removed with full consensus
[6:58 PM] Darcania: here we go
[6:58 PM] Darcania: our current Elder is Scian kul Kroning
[6:58 PM] Darcania: (attachment)
[6:58 PM] Darcania: pic
[6:58 PM] Darcania: it's also worth noting we're not a democracy, at least not like most democracies
[6:59 PM] Darcania: since most meetings are rather small, all rules / laws / motions are by consensus, not by vote
[7:00 PM] Darcania: more info on Scian: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9027432/findpost/10022734/
[7:00 PM] Darcania: also worth noting that a life term is much longer for dragons than for humans
[7:01 PM] Darcania: up to 300 for the healthiest
[7:01 PM] Darcania: but that would be like reaching 120 years for a human
[7:02 PM] Darcania: but anyway
[7:02 PM] Darcania: that's our government
[7:02 PM] Darcania: Klarliert, the human city, is considered a clan in that political structure
[7:02 PM] Darcania: with the mayor as the clan leader
[7:02 PM] Iraelia, Mini-Syrixia: How did those humans come to live among dragon kind?
[7:02 PM] Darcania: piracy
[7:03 PM] Iraelia, Mini-Syrixia: Ah, cool
[7:03 PM] Darcania: mid-1800s, bunch of pirates showed up with a bunch of treasure, seeking to find refuge
[7:03 PM] Darcania: they assumed the islands were uninhabited
[7:03 PM] Darcania: bunch of dragons showed up, prepared to sink the ships as usual
[7:04 PM] Darcania: but the pirates, with modern equipment, managed to give a very good fight back
[7:04 PM] Darcania: after several losses the two parleyed
[7:04 PM] Darcania: and with a few bribes and threats the pirates settled in an unused plain
[7:04 PM] Iraelia, Mini-Syrixia: Nice
[7:04 PM] Iraelia, Mini-Syrixia: How did the Kyloths come to live in Syrixia?
[7:05 PM] Darcania: They were already there
[7:05 PM] Darcania: There's clans the world over
[7:05 PM] Iraelia, Mini-Syrixia: Like... Always?
[7:05 PM] Iraelia, Mini-Syrixia: Ah
[7:05 PM] Darcania: only the Kroning and Klarliert clans live in the actual island chain
[7:06 PM] Darcania: and as an OOC note
[7:06 PM] Darcania: no, no dragons live in your nation / nations unless you ask me first
[7:06 PM] Darcania: otherwise godmoddery BS could happen
[7:07 PM] Darcania: Darcania actually very likely has the oldest continuous single government in existence
[7:07 PM] Darcania: on Eras atm
[7:07 PM] Iraelia, Mini-Syrixia: How old?
[7:07 PM] Darcania: Well it was originally a theocracy
[7:08 PM] Darcania: way back in the day
[7:08 PM] Darcania: like, very much BC / eras equvilent
[7:08 PM] Darcania: horrible spelling
[7:08 PM] Darcania: and since dragons don't keep the best records it's impossible to say for sure
[7:09 PM] Darcania: There have been some changes slowly through time
[7:09 PM] Darcania: for example, the council of priests has changed into the Elder and his.... well, cabinet essentially
[7:10 PM] Darcania: who often take up the clan name Lieter
[7:10 PM] Darcania: and the Adalet clan name for mediation / arbitration purposes, named after a songstress from likely around the early 900s
[7:13 PM] Prydania: @Darcania so basically the Darcania government gets its power from time immemorial. basically it is because it just always has been. no founding date. just...that’s how it is
[7:14 PM] Darcania: yeah, like the City of London
[7:14 PM] Prydania: sweet
[7:14 PM] Darcania: so anyway
[7:14 PM] Darcania: idk if that system of governance counts as a monarchy to you or not
[7:14 PM] Darcania: in a "close enough" kind of way
[7:18 PM] Darcania: at this point while there was previously a council of priests running things, and most everything from that time has been carried over, the government in Darcania is technically areligious
[7:18 PM] Darcania: however the Zessik clan, which is the most religious clan, still has a lot of influence
[7:18 PM] Darcania: most notably Lussiel kul Zessik is Scian's spouse
[7:21 PM] Darcania: (attachment)
[7:21 PM] Darcania: Lussiel
[7:21 PM] Prydania: she looks dangerous
even for a dragon
[7:21 PM] Darcania: technically since she's from the Zessik clan she's more dangerous than other clans
[7:21 PM] Darcania: since the Zessik can breathe fire
[7:21 PM] Darcania: but they only use fire for religious ceremonies
[7:23 PM] Darcania: also, the only currently known (OOC) clan that has fur is the Kyloth clan. The fluffy dragons that I go on about are from another RP universe.
[7:24 PM] Prydania: Fluffy Dragons for king of Dragons
[7:24 PM] Darcania: The Kyloths have very little influence in Darcania
[7:24 PM] Darcania: There's no way a Kyloth would become Elder
[7:25 PM] Darcania: They can also breathe fire, like the Zessiks, and they have previously used it for war
[7:26 PM] Darcania: namely, helping the first Syrixian Emperor conquer Syrixia and take the throne

Inci

Commonly referred to in Mercanti as "Pearl" or "Dragon's Pearl", Inci is a sport that emerged in recent centuries after a previous Savas noted the inherent difficulty of coordinating a large group of dragons, who are generally known to be territorial and independent from each other. This Savas invented a competitive game that required teamwork to win, and began instructing it to his soldiers and encouraging friendly games between them. When these soldiers returned, they taught this game to their fellow clan members, and in time variations of this game popped up all over the world.

Often one will find a group of dragons playing this game after a clan meeting, and each clan will often send not only their clan leader, but also their best Inci player to Zussamenkommen, the worldwide meeting of all the various leaders that occurs every 20 years. In a way this could be seen as a world cup for each clan to show their abilities, though as each clan sends only a single player, there is no official best clan at the end of the competition.

The rules are simple. One team, the "Sun" team, starts on the offence with possession of the pearl, itself referred to as the "inci", or "pearl" in Mercanti. The other "Moon" team starts on defense. The pearl can only advance toward the defense's goal by passing; the pearl cannot be carried closer to the goal. Free movement is allowed otherwise, though once the carrier has retreated they cannot advance to where they started. One defender may attempt to get the pearl by snatching it out from the carrier's possession. Other defenders may not interfere with the carrier, though they may attempt to intercept or otherwise block a pass.

The game has two states: in flight and grounded. Whenever a goal is scored, the game starts again with alternating possession and with the game in flight. Each alternating round is often called "Dawn" if the Sun team starts with the pearl and "Dusk" if the Moon team starts with the pearl, to keep track of possession more easily. If the pearl touches the ground, all players are grounded until a point is scored, and the game proceeds as normal, with the last player to have held the pearl on defense. Goals in the flight state count are generally scored twice as fast due to how much faster the game goes, and as such players are generally motivated to keep the pearl in the air. If the pearl touches the ground again when the game is already grounded, the defense gains possession where the pearl landed.

A common tactic is to force the game in its grounded state when close to scoring to make it more difficult for the defense to recover, but as this causes the defense to come into possession of the pearl it can delay what is otherwise an easy goal.

Two common variations are to change possession as normal when the pearl touches the ground, but to keep the game in its flying state, or to start the game in its grounded state after every point, thus keeping the game either in flight or grounded through its entirety. Humans who have adopted the game will often add another variation on the grounded state requiring the carrier to not move at all.

Inci generally lasts for an hour. Once an hour is up, the game continues until whichever team was offense at the start (the Sun team) would gain possession after a point. Points are tallied and compared and a winner declared.

Last edited:
Back