PROPOSAL: Condemnation of Nebula

Kannex

TNPer
PROPOSAL: To condemn and embargo the Empire of the Watching Nebula for violating the sovereignty of the Kannexan Reich, and for supporting a known terrorist organization.

PROPOSED BY: The Empire of Kannex

INITIAL ARGUMENT FOR PROPOSAL: Nebula has violated the national sovereignty of Kannex by stirring up the separatist movement in the Protectorate of Pelhafor. Nebula has given official support to the Republican Guard, a known separatist terrorist organization in Pelhafor. The violation of national sovereignty is unacceptable and message must be sent to uphold international law. Punitive measures must be taken against this rogue state.

The North Pacific Treaty Organization Assembly,

APPALLED at the Empire of the Watching Nebula's gross violation of the national sovereignty of the Empire of Kannex,

ALARMED that the Nebulan Government has explicitly and undeniably expressed support and shipped weapons to terrorist groups in the Kannexan protectorate of Pelhafor, such as the Republican Guard,

NOTING that these terrorist groups have targeted civilians and police officers in Pelhafor in indiscriminate attacks,

SHOCKED that the Nebulan Government has openly called for anarchy and violence especially against authorities in Pelhafor,

hereby

CONDEMNS the Watching Nebula for the violation of international law;

STRONGLY URGES that member-states of this Organization end all of their sales, purchases, and investments to and from Nebula that fall under the category of:
  • small arms and munitions, offensive and defensive in nature,
  • heavy weaponry of any kind, including armed vehicles and missiles,
  • warships and aerial craft,
  • heavy metals and other materials used to produce vehicles,
  • automobiles of any kind,
  • petroleum,
  • and natural gas;

FURTHERMORE URGES Organization members to not do business with any bank operating from Nebula;

EFFECTS these measures into place until such time as the Nebulan Government satisfactorily apologizes to the Empire of Kannex, pledges to never interfere in Kannexan sovereignty again, and withdraws support from terrorist groups.

All thoughts may be left below.

There is no mention of condemnation in the Charter. Please define what actions NPTO should take to condemn Nebula.

Well, he used the words, "punitive measures", so I assumed he wanted something from us in terms of action. I believe that a condemnation might be necessary, but a international embargo may be hard to enforce.

Violating sov.. our first legion recovered kannexian supplies from rebels in New Sekai, and even now are trying to gove those terrorist s legitimacy. ?. I find all this talk of threatened sovereignty to be rather rich...

The Most Serene Republic of Syrixia is appalled at the treacherous decisions of the Nebulan government, as before these occurrences they seemed committed to peace due to the reunification of Rhuvanland. This just shows the Nebulan government does not understand peace, and we fully agree with the Kannexan Reich as such. Also, as it is relevant, here is the desired evidence of Nebula violating Kannexan sovereignty.

http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8226652&t=7400836
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8226661&t=7400836

Also relevant even though it happened a while ago: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8226137&t=7383959

We still find it rather distasteful and downright hypocritical that the Kannexian government is arguing their sovereignty is threatened when Kannex-produced equipment was found in the hands of the Rebels of New Sekai and are advocating the splitting of said nation in favour of these terrorists.

Wolfsea:
We still find it rather distasteful and downright hypocritical that the Kannexian government is arguing their sovereignty is threatened when Kannex-produced equipment was found in the hands of the Rebels of New Sekai and are advocating the splitting of said nation in favour of these terrorists.
The Kannexan Empire has never sold weapons to the New Sekaian rebels. The Kannexan arms industry is massive and sells weapons to various states and organizations across the world. It is not impossible that a few wares will be captured or bought by New Sekaian rebels through a third party. That is impossible to prevent. The Kannexan Empire is not responsible for such actions.

The Kannexan Empire has never and is not advocating for the partition of New Sekai in any shape or form. The accusations of delegate from Wolfsea are misleading, disturbing, and downright lies. Whereas Wolfsea has ever more escalated the conflict in New Sekai, bringing destruction to tens of thousands of New Sekaian lives, Kannex has hosted a conference of peace in Könighafen for all sides to state their terms. Wolfsea itself has been invited to the conference, and it is hypocritical and downright wrong for Wolfsea to accuse Kannex of being a warmonger when Kannex has played host to peace talks.

Now, back to the matter at hand. Nebula has openly and publicly supported Pelhaforan separatism. Now, the question of Pelhaforan status is a matter of concern for the Pelhaforan government and the Kannexan government to decide. The Nebulan interference is unwelcome and inappropriate. Furthermore, Nebula has publicly and openly supported and sent weapons to terrorist groups in Pelhafor, such as the Republican Guard. In the Emperator's latest statement, he publicly sanctions the use of violence against Kannexan army. How can this go unpunished? Nebula is challenging nation-state authority, the keystone of international law, and it is supporting terrorism -- violence against police officers, soldiers, civilians -- political violence.

We would like economic embargoes on major commodities. Obviously any sale of weapons will be prohibited, along with automobiles, heavy metals, petroleum, natural gas. Nebulan banks will also be banned from doing business in NPTO territory. Food materials will be excepted. These embargoes will be lifted once Nebula apologizes, promises never to interfere with Kannexan sovereignty again, and withdraws support from terrorist groups.

With the evidence compiled and the explanations brought to our attention, Syrixia believes it is now time for nations to state their judgements and thoughts. As such, we agree with the proposal, however we do not deign it appropriate to move for a vote as of yet, and will not be doing so until more nations have stated their positions.

The evidence may be legitimate and complete enough for our purposes, but we still haven't decided what condemnation actually means. I propose we focus on this aspect, then amend the charter, before continuing.

Condemnation means a public denouncing of the nation being condemned as well as the administering of consequences along with the denouncement. Basically it's that whole "Consequences for your actions" thing.

We have made our position clear and I shall be including this in my report to the Khan. I am quite certain we shall be less generous in our future dealings with the Kannexian government, we will support our allies regardless.

(OOC: Last I checked Kannex helped the rebels in secret? Your troops randomly finding evidence in New Sekai that they did so is kinda metagamey.)

The Spokesman of Eumenor:
The evidence may be legitimate and complete enough for our purposes, but we still haven't decided what condemnation actually means. I propose we focus on this aspect, then amend the charter, before continuing.
We don't need to amend the charter for everything. The assembly has the power to pass laws and resolutions.

Syrixia:
(OOC: Last I checked Kannex helped the rebels in secret? Your troops randomly finding evidence in New Sekai that they did so is kinda metagamey.)
(That is true but Keren is grasping at straws, the evidence she has, like recovered weaponry, isn't quite beyond reasonable doubt as Kannex pointed out by saying theres other ways they could have obtained them, but she does have a less-than logical reason for being so vehement and her attempts at threats won't amount to much regardless, the Khan is suspicious of Kannex's involvements but he's a lot more subtle.)

((just saying it's not exactly a million miles beyond the realms of possibility they'd find at least one weapon, investigate it and find out where its from. Even then it's still circumstantial evidence with plausible deniability on Kannex's part.))

Since this also is supposed to be an embargo, I suggest that Kannex write a WA-like resolution including something like the following:

CONDEMNS The Watching Nebula for violating the sovereignty of a Member State
ENCOURAGES Member states to avoid all trade with The Watching Nebula

May I reinforce, there is no need to amend the charter for this purpose

Syrixia:
Condemnation means a public denouncing of the nation being condemned as well as the administering of consequences along with the denouncement. Basically it's that whole "Consequences for your actions" thing.
But maybe we should create a list of condemned nations so this is not lost among future resolutions.

APPALLED at the Empire of the Watching Nebula's gross violation of the national sovereignty of the Empire of Kannex,

ALARMED that the Nebulan Government has explicitly and undeniably expressed support and shipped weapons to terrorist groups in the Kannexan protectorate of Pelhafor, such as the Republican Guard,

NOTING that these terrorist groups have targeted civilians and police officers in Pelhafor in indiscriminate attacks,

SHOCKED that the Nebulan Government has openly called for anarchy and violence especially against authorities in Pelhafor,

hereby

RESOLVES to stop the sale or purchase of all goods to Nebula that fall under the category of:
  • petroleum,
  • and natural gas;

FURTHERMORE PROHIBITS any bank operating from Nebula from doing business in North Pacific Treaty Organization Member-States;

EFFECTS these measures into place until such time as the Nebulan Government satisfactorily apologizes to the Empire of Kannex, pledges to never interfere in Kannexan sovereignty again, and withdraws support from terrorist groups.

Kannex:

hereby

RESOLVES to stop the sale or purchase of all goods to Nebula that fall under the category of:
  • petroleum,
  • and natural gas;

FURTHERMORE PROHIBITS any bank operating from Nebula from doing business in North Pacific Treaty Organization Member-States;

I love this. We should write all condemnation resolutions like this. Hell, we should write ALL resolutions like this.

(let's henceforth keep this IC)

I applaud the Kannexan delegation's resolution. The Plembobrian government thinks that an embargo and condemnation of Nebula is necessary. They are a threat to the civilized world in the North Pacific. My government already refuses to trade with Nebula, and we hope this resolution passes.

The delegation from Syrixia completely and totally agrees. As famously said by West Rhuvanland's (now Rhuvanland's) Johann Klinger:

"With respect, Ms. Liesel, the only reason the Nebulan cowards are not invading our land is because they know they will only make our terrain less flat with mountains of Nebulan corpses. In addition, we have little discussion to be made with an empire so hypocritical, so imperialist as Nebula. It admits its imperialism. It admits its fanatical, blatant desire to conquer the world. You, I -- the East, the West, Syrixia is at risk of this weird power fantasy. Men like the Emperator here ought to be locked up in mental hospitals, but the full lot of mental hospitals in the region could not dare hope to lock up the mad ambition and arrogance of the Emperator and his Nebulan government. We are not a fascist government -- we don't have to debate it, because such an accusation is wild beyond dreams. We did what we could -- emergency decrees and executive actions -- to contain the attack committed none other than Nebula itself, and she dares to tell us we are violating 'human rights' in locking up her saboteurs and spies. Had this not been a diplomatic discussion, I would've thought this were some fantasy novel! An empire so blatantly evil!"

Nebula has crossed the line now. From the admittance of wanting the former West Rhuvanland to be a Nebulan puppet by the Emperator himself to the flat out INVASION of Syrixia's national capital to the annexation of Galacta to the Bay of Cows invasion to the snooping around in nearly every recent regional conflict and now finally the OPEN AND PUBLIC SUPPORT of a terrorist group, Nebula has violated EVERY KNOWN RULE IN THE BOOK. It is time the evil Nebulan Empire receives the consequences of its blatantly diabolical actions.

(OOC: Johann Klinger is West Rhuvish.)

The Kannexan delegation seconds the sentiments of the Syrixian delegation. For too long, this Nebulan rogue state has flaunted international law.

The delegation from Syrixia moves for a vote and will open such a thread when it receives a second.

I, Hayden Sharpe, representative of Republican Pacific Islands, give my support to this resolution. I can only hope that the Nebulan government realizes the wrongs that they have committed; therefore, I also move for a vote.

Kannex:

hereby

• petroleum,
  • and natural gas;

Someone should submit this to the WA

Then you are most certainly falling into Nebula's trap of ignorance and false kindness.

Syrixia:
Then you are most certainly falling into Nebula's trap of ignorance and false kindness.
If we are falling into that, then that our own fault. However, we not seeing anything like that toward us. So we staying neutral with this, not much getting involve with this.

I have changed my vote to nay because I disagree with the wording of the following:
RESOLVES to stop the sale or purchase of all goods to Nebula that fall under the category of...
I do not believe the NPTO has international authority to try to halt a nation's trade with all nations, as this phrase suggests. That itself is a violation of the Watching Nebula's sovereignty. I would recommend rewording of that phrase to be something to the effect of encouraging NPTO members from trading with the Watching Nebula.

I encourage all other representatives to vote nay as well, until this is changed.

I actually agree; that is quite strict. I reworded the proposal a bit; what do you think now?

RPI:
I have changed my vote to nay because I disagree with the wording of the following:
RESOLVES to stop the sale or purchase of all goods to Nebula that fall under the category of...
I do not believe the NPTO has international authority to try to halt a nation's trade with all nations, as this phrase suggests. That itself is a violation of the Watching Nebula's sovereignty. I would recommend rewording of that phrase to be something to the effect of encouraging NPTO members from trading with the Watching Nebula.
Thank you and we agreed with RPI because this will hurt our membership with The North Pacific or The Faibuaizu Alliance.

Proposition reworded, so it only urges, instead of commands. It isn't that much of a change, so none of you need to worry.

Back