The Motto Law

RPI Suggested Bill
1. Chapter 7, Section 1 of the Legal Code will be re-titled as follows:
Section 7.1: Arms, Flag, Seal, and Motto
2. Chapter 7, Section 1 of the Legal Code will be amended to add the following cause:
6. The following shall be the official Motto of The North Pacific: "Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful."

Old Proposal.
1. Chapter 7, Section 1 of the Legal Code will be re-titled as follows:
2. Chapter 7, Section 1 of the Legal Code will be amended to add the following cause:
6. The North Pacific shall have an official motto which is approved by a majority vote in the Regional Assembly, every citizen has a right to propose a motto which will be voted on. At any time the Regional Assembly may vote to change an existing motto.
The purpose of this legislation is to ensure that the creation of the motto stay in the hands of the citizens. Currently, the is no provisions that prevent the Delegate from creating whatever motto they please.

The motto is an important cultural aspect of a region which reflects the values of it's inhabitants, implementation of this law will give citizens a feeling of identify and contribution.

While I have observed on at least one occasion that the motto was determined by a poll, I see it necessary that the citizen's right to select their motto be protected and ensured should this attitude ever change.

My reasoning for every four months be that it coincides with the election of a new Delegate. Sets up the feeling of change, doesn't it?

I like this law, but I think TNP should have a motto that stays forever unless the RA votes it to be changed. This would ensure the motto is associated with us more, and plus we can use it on seals n' stuff.

I'm under the belief that this delves into the realm of nitpicking. I wouldn't be at all surprised to soon see a bill which attempts to dictate the Delegate's pre-title, motto and flag at this rate.

Lord Ravenclaw:
I'm under the belief that this delves into the realm if nitpicking. I wouldn't be at all surprised to soon see a bill which attempts to dictate the Delegate's pre-title, motto and flag at this rate.
While I agree it may not be the most major of topics, I think a regional motto is justified in that it most directly represents the values of TNP's inhabitants. A flag is more so to identify an entity as opposed to another entity rather than the people, and a Delegate's title is very unlikely represent the public's general motivation or intention. I agree should caution from regulating every modifiable text and leave the delegate autonomy in these areas, but a motto expresses what we're about and I think that should be up to the public.

Its not that I am concerned that a delegate will put "We love Communism" and offend somebody, but more so that a community will feel more pride in a motto they select and it will express us more than if a Delegate choose one, "We value opinions", etc.

EDIT: I altered it so that at any time the RA may vote for a new one, rather than every four months.

6. The North Pacific shall have an official motto which is approved by a majority vote in the Regional Assembly, every citizen has a right to propose a motto which will be voted on. At any time the Regional Assembly may vote to change an existing motto.
The Regional Assembly is already able to amend any part of the Legal Code by majority vote, so a lot of this isn't necessary. I don't mind the whole idea of establishing a motto, though. I would suggest that a motto is established with this bill, instead of saying that the RA may establish a motto, because the RA already has the abillity to establish a motto. The following is the motto that is already used in the TNP WFE:
Motto:
Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful.
If you wish to put this into law, I would suggest the following language:
Section 7.1 of the Legal Code shall be retitled as follows:
The following shall be inserted into Section 7.1 of the Legal Code:
6. The following shall be the official Motto of The North Pacific: "Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful."

RPI:
The Regional Assembly is already able to amend any part of the Legal Code by majority vote, so a lot of this isn't necessary. I don't mind the whole idea of establishing a motto, though. I would suggest that a motto is established with this bill, instead of saying that the RA may establish a motto, because the RA already has the abillity to establish a motto. The following is the motto that is already used in the TNP WFE:
Motto:
Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful.
If you wish to put this into law, I would suggest the following language:
Section 7.1 of the Legal Code shall be retitled as follows:
The following shall be inserted into Section 7.1 of the Legal Code:
^This. And that whole thing about democracy being strong, debate being robust, and rum being plentiful should definitely be our officially, law-recognized motto if it isn't already. I think it's been a de facto motto for a long time, but not both a de facto AND a de jure motto.

RPI:
The Regional Assembly is already able to amend any part of the Legal Code by majority vote, so a lot of this isn't necessary. I don't mind the whole idea of establishing a motto, though. I would suggest that a motto is established with this bill, instead of saying that the RA may establish a motto, because the RA already has the abillity to establish a motto.
Can't believe I missed that. Thank you, I'll change this into my official proposal.

SillyString:
You might want to spend some time convincing people this is worthwhile before putting it to vote. :P
Okay. I'm new to TNP politics, so I appreciate advice like that.

Well, as I mentioned before, I think it is important that the Motto lay in the hands of the people.

Second, if it is a de jure motto, we can use it on seals and such, and use it in more official capacity.

Really, it's no different then having a regional flag. Sure, we could have a regional flag without putting it into the legal code, but doing so puts it into official status which we can use more often.

It makes it part of us, rather than text at the top of the page.

Personally, I think that the value of having our arms, flag, and seal designated as official in the legal code is that we can then restrict its use, and prevent our citizens from using them to misrepresent us, lending official-looking status to their messages when they do not represent the government of TNP. I don't think the same danger is there with the motto. Nothing is preventing us from using the motto how we see fit, officially or otherwise. I see no legal value to adding this to the legal code.

It's a nice thought though, and I'm certainly glad people are still reading my "how a bill becomes a law" thread ;)

Back