Cabinet Announcement

Tomb

TNPer
del-seal.png

Citizens of The North Pacific,

Thank you so much for entrusting me with another term! It is a great honor! Thank you. We have a lot of work to do this term, and I want us to get started right ahead.
(I had a very nice speech drafted up for this occasion by computer restarted and I lost it :( )

Before I announce the cabinet, I do want to point out that nothing can be accomplished and would've been accomplished without your efforts, my fellow citizens. I ask for your cooperation again this term. Hand in hand, we can really accomplish a lot more than single-handedly or as small groups. If you're interested in writing, the NPA, culture and festivals, WA, anything, or even if you're not sure, do apply to the Executive Staff and join the Ministries you're interested in. With your cooperation and the leadership of the following Ministers, I am sure we are going to have an excellent term. Thank you again for reelecting me, and I look forward to working with you as Delegate.

I want to thank everyone for their service in my cabinet past, present, and future. A special thanks to Vice-Delegate SillyString as well. :)

Now onto the cabinet...

Minister of Foreign Affairs: Lord Ravenclaw
Raven is one of the most prolific and experienced diplomats in TNP. He has already put in a lot of work into accommodating the increasing number of applicant diplomats, and he has shown great work in his short term here.

Minister of Culture: Cascadia
Cascadia has shown great zeal and work so far in the Ministry of Home Affairs. Cascadia is a fairly experienced RPer and his work ethics across many areas of our government are quiet admirable.

Minister of Education: Sauceistan
Sauce took the role of Minister following Minister Malvad's resignation. Minister Sauce has really handled the role of Minister of Education well, and he is constantly seeking ways to improve the Ministry of Education. His ambition is great and I look forward to work with him to get TNP University up and running.

Minister of Home Affairs: Andrew
Andrew has done a great job this term. He has led two reforms in the Ministry that has improved the Ministry's performance across many areas of operation including mentoring and recruitment. I'm sure that Andrew will perform spectacularly again this term.

Minister of World Assembly Affairs: Separatist Peoples
Sep has been one of the most active and productive ministers this term. He has taken over a Ministry that was basically inactive and has put a lot of work and effort into it. I look forward to continuing to work with Sep in the cabinet and WALL.

Minister of Entertainment (Roleplay): Lord Lore
(This is a new Ministry with the purpose of maintaining the map, role play aspects in the region, and just generally moderation and promoting role play.)
When it comes to Role play, there are not many that can match Lord Lore in experience. I am glad that he has agreed to join me for another term in my cabinet. I'm sure that with his continued policy in role play, Role play in TNP will continue to be a prominent activity.

Minister of Defense:Gladio
Where does one start with Gladio? The amount of time and effort has dedicated to the NPA is admirable by all NPA soldiers, and I'm excited to be working with him to maintain and improve our army as its numbers and victories grow.

Minister of Communications: Tomb (me until further notice.) The choice I had for this position resigned, and so I will be serving as Minister of Communications until further notice. Anyone interested in the job may contact me.

Ministers, feel free to take your oaths of office at this point.

Please take a moment to congratulate these new/old Ministers with me.

Thank you,

~ Tomb
~ Delegate of The North Pacific

As someone who does indeed rival (and perhaps surpass if we take into longevity within NS rp) Lord Lore for RP experience, I question just why there is a need for an RP minister. RP isn't something that can be dictated to from on-high. It is a community led, collaborative thing that is driven by creators and storytellers.

It's not something that should be bandied about to reward or placate people with control over. You've chosen the best candidate for a role that shouldn't really exist, but you're beholden to create due to your choice in Culture Minister.

You took credit for the Lazarus Liberation in your campaign, but then chose not to reappoint the individual responsible for coordinating the troops for that liberation? That seems incredibly dishonest of you.

Funkadelia:
You took credit for the Lazarus Liberation in your campaign, but then chose not to reappoint the individual responsible for coordinating the troops for that liberation? That seems incredibly dishonest of you.

To be fair, I had not (yet) returned my application form for the position.

Funkadelia:
Umm...Funk, I did not discredit Eluvatar. A huge thanks to him for everything he has done this semester. I appreciate it and I appreciate his work, but he has simply not sent me back an application despite me saying through two private PMs that results will be announced shortly after elections.

Were your other appointees required to apply?

Why was this process not done publicly, so you could garner the widest range of candidates possible, therefore selecting the best ones out of all in TNP?

The Democratic Republic of Tomb:
Funkadelia:
Umm...Funk, I did not discredit Eluvatar. A huge thanks to him for everything he has done this semester. I appreciate it and I appreciate his work, but he has simply not sent me back an application despite me saying through two private PMs that results will be announced shortly after elections.
If you could point out wherever I said that you "discredited" Eluvatar, I would appreciate it.

I did say, however, that it is dishonest of you to take credit for the Lazarus Liberation, while Eluvatar did most of the heavy lifting for that operation, and then not reappoint him while other cabinet ministers were reappointed without the need for an application. If you were truly that proud of Eluvatar's work in what you said was the best moment of your Delegacy thus far, why did you not reappoint him for doing such an excellent job?

Funkadelia:

Quite true. I said I intended to, but that I hadn't had time yet on the 8th. Things turned a bit hectic in the last few days and I'm sorry about not returning the application.

Despite how hectics things were, I did (finally) finish off the NPA manual yesterday, as I definitely did not want to list it as a goal again.

Unfortunately, the flemingovia contretemps pretty much ate nearly all available NS time (limited for RL reasons) for the last couple of days for me, so I've been unable to fill that out. I like to not feel rushed with such applications and write them as well as I can.

I probably should have realized that your reference to your plan to announce appointments right when elections end meant a hard deadline for the application a bit in advance of that, but I didn't. Sorry about that. I might have better understood a more explicit deadline, though.

There was no application process for Minister of Communications, for what it's worth.

I believe the Delegate intended to replace Eluvatar all along, using Gladio's superior application as his excuse. He was fortunate to have instead been provided with the excuse that Eluvatar never filled out the application.

Yes, because Tomb is most certainly some Snidely Whiplash villain, twirling his mustache and planning the downfall of TNP.

Move for his recall if you must, but stop starting crazy conspiracy theories about him.

Given what he pulled with Lord Lore, I don't think it's unlikely that he has planned to replace Eluvatar for quite some time without Eluvatar knowing anything about it.

I don't believe that's the case. In the PM in which Tomb asked me to fill out an application, he indicated that he was satisfied with the incumbent's (mine) performance and supposed they had an edge in the application process.

I simply failed to fill out an application in the time frame available, due to an unfortunate confluence of events.

Am I a little bit miffed that Tomb did not specify a deadline explicitly (as opposed to implying it), and did not remind me more recently (i.e. yesterday)? Yes. Do I think this was some sort of secret scheme to replace me without suffering political backlash? ... No.

Congratulations to everyone else, and thank you for the appointment Tomb, I'm looking forward to a productive term :)

It may be unlikely that this was used as an excuse to get rid of eluvatar as minister of defence. But it is a little odd that, in a ministry where the incumbent had done a good job, engineering the greatest success of Tomb's first term, and where that incumbent was happy to continue, Tomb chose to hold a paper application procedure which seems not to have been applied to any other ministry or minister. As Elu has said, if he had wanted to there are steps Tomb could have taken to keep Elu in place. They are both on IRC quite often - a quick whisper would have done it.

If it is not a foul, it is poor image management.

flemingovia:
It may be unlikely that this was used as an excuse to get rid of eluvatar as minister of defence. But it is a little odd that, in a ministry where the incumbent had done a good job, engineering the greatest success of Tomb's first term, and where that incumbent was happy to continue, Tomb chose to hold a paper application procedure which seems not to have been applied to any other ministry or minister. As Elu has said, if he had wanted to there are steps Tomb could have taken to keep Elu in place. They are both on IRC quite often - a quick whisper would have done it.

I only required applications for positions that were contested. A position was contested once a candidate interest in the job came up to me about it and there was another candidate who was interested in it. There were candidates that I reached out based on their participation in the Executive Staff. The only reason I did not put out public application is because of one thing: I wanted to get started on cabinet work right ahead without having to wait 4-5 days for public applications to be sent, and then to process them, etc.

Look, I'm only playing this game to have fun. God knows how sick and tired I am of this whole mess we're going through, and the last thing I would do is go behind the scenes and cause more drama, I don't even have time for it.

I logged on IRC on the morning (EDT Time) shortly before the announcements were called, and I wanted to reach out to Elu (and others), he was not there. I really took it for granted that with two PMs sent to him both reiterating the fact that I will be announcing appointments right after elections end, I was being clear about the date and time. I will take it as lesson learned, next time I'll make sure to explicitly write the date and time of when the election end.

flemingovia:

Due to some computer difficulties I'm facing right now, I am not connected to IRC 100% of the time the way I normally am right now.

Congratulations to all appointed. I look forward to my term as Culture Minister, and I can't wait to get started working with you all.

[me]

I only required applications for positions that were contested. A position was contested once a candidate interest in the job came up to me about it and there was another candidate who was interested in it.
Were Cascadia and Lord Lore both asked to apply for Minister of Culture?

If this is not the case, why not?

flemingovia:

I only required applications for positions that were contested. A position was contested once a candidate interest in the job came up to me about it and there was another candidate who was interested in it. There were candidates that I reached out based on their participation in the Executive Staff. The only reason I did not put out public application is because of one thing: I wanted to get started on cabinet work right ahead without having to wait 4-5 days for public applications to be sent, and then to process them, etc.

Look, I'm only playing this game to have fun. God knows how sick and tired I am of this whole mess we're going through, and the last thing I would do is go behind the scenes and cause more drama, I don't even have time for it.

I logged on IRC on the morning (EDT Time) shortly before the announcements were called, and I wanted to reach out to Elu (and others), he was not there. I really took it for granted that with two PMs sent to him both reiterating the fact that I will be announcing appointments right after elections end, I was being clear about the date and time. I will take it as lesson learned, next time I'll make sure to explicitly write the date and time of when the election end.
I just have to say no just no. Dont you dare even try to peddle that narrative. When I said I wished to fight to retain my ministry of Culture both before and after the Cascadia incident, I was never given a chance to apply to the ministry. There was no "apllication for contested ministries" as Culture was given to Cascadia with no application process despite the fact it was de facto contested.

I appear to have my answer.

New questions: when was it decided to have applications for contested ministries?

If this occurred after the Cascadia incident, why was Lord Lore not invited to apply for the Culture Ministry?

Nierr:
I appear to have my answer.

New questions: when was it decided to have applications for contested ministries?

If this occurred after the Cascadia incident, why was Lord Lore not invited to apply for the Culture Ministry?
I did not have to apply for Minister of Culture. Tomb came to me asking if I was interested in the position, and I said I was. (I then got a little carried away on the IRC, but I won't get into that now.) I did not know at the time that he was taking applications, so it is quite possible it was after "the Cascadia incident" that he began applications. In that case, I would like to know why LL was not invited to contest me as Minister of Culture.

I hope this can clear some things up.

[me]

Nierr:
As someone who does indeed rival (and perhaps surpass if we take into longevity within NS rp) Lord Lore for RP experience, I question just why there is a need for an RP minister. RP isn't something that can be dictated to from on-high. It is a community led, collaborative thing that is driven by creators and storytellers.

It's not something that should be bandied about to reward or placate people with control over. You've chosen the best candidate for a role that shouldn't really exist, but you're beholden to create due to your choice in Culture Minister.
This. I agree with Nierr; the Ministry of Entertainment should be dissolved and its purposes given back to the Ministry of Culture to solve this incident. Perhaps LL can become Minister again and Cascadia his Deputy. This would end the chaos and solve the problems created by Tomb in his last days of his delegacy.

I also think the Ministry of Culture should only promote RP and popular RP threads and international organizations, treaties, etc. and not do anything more internal in RP. I believe RP should not be administrated or controlled by the government as Nierr does, and the Ministry of Culture should only promote it.

Back