official floof
-
Pronouns
he/they
TNP Nation
Darcania
Discord
@zephyrkul
Note: Zetaboards already provides a tool to create a table for you. Whenever you're posting something, just click the "Table" button and a simple GUI is provided for you. However, this tool isn't exactly useful for editing tables, which is why I have provided this tutorial.

I have recently seen people indicate their confusion over how to make tables on this forum. Upon looking at the requisite BBCode for tables here, I was also very confused. Luckily, however, after tinkering around with them for a bit, I have found out how exactly one makes tables in Zetaboards.

There are two BBCode tags required to make tables:
Code:
[table]
[c]

Of the two, only one requires attributes, which are the little parameters after an equals sign:
Code:
[table]

The table tag has three attributes: An integer (whole number) for the number of columns, a string (text) for the title, and a boolean (0/1) for whether there is a header row. These are to be separated by commas without spaces:
Code:
[table=#,string,0]

Next is the other tag:
Code:
[c]

This is the cell break. For each one, the current cell stops and whatever comes after goes into the next cell:
Code:
Cell 1[c]Cell 2

Note: The cell break should not be used directly next to the beginning table tag or the ending table tag, unless you want a random empty cell. So, you would use it like this:
Code:
[table=#,string,0]Cell 1[c]Cell 2[/table]

Think of the table tags beginning and closing the first and last cells for you, respectively.

Now, we put it all together. If you want, say, a table, which lists a series of nations, titled "Nations", with 2 columns, and a header row, you put:
Code:
[table=2,Nations,1]#[c]Nation[c]1[c][nation]Darcania[/nation][c]2[c][nation]Aurora Orb[/nation][c]3[c][nation]Republican Pacific Islands[/nation][c]4[c][nation]The Cascadian Commonwealth[/nation][/table]

Edit: Following the post by Amerion below, if you put a line break just before a cell break, the line break will not show in the resulting table. However, if you put a line break just after a cell break, the line break will show in the resulting table. So, you can format the code above like this:
Code:
[table=2,Nations,1]#[c]Nation
[c]1[c][nation]Darcania[/nation]
[c]2[c][nation]Aurora Orb[/nation]
[c]3[c][nation]Republican Pacific Islands[/nation]
[c]4[c][nation]The Cascadian Commonwealth[/nation][/table]

Now, with the above code, you end up with this:
I hope that this tutorial will help out those who have experienced difficulty with tables. If you are more knowledgeable about tables in Zetaboards, or you wish to express your appreciation for this tutorial, I encourage you to post below.

All the best,

[me]

This is a fantastic guide! I am absolute in my belief that it will make understanding table code a hundred times easier for everyone. You should feel proud for producing such a guide :worship:

With respect, perhaps the last code could be better formatted like this:
Code:
[table=2,Nations,1]#[c]Nation
[c]1[c][nation]Darcania[/nation]
[c]2[c][nation]Aurora Orb[/nation]
[c]3[c][nation]Republican Pacific Islands[/nation]
[c]4[c][nation]The Cascadian Commonwealth[/nation]
[/table]
#[c]Nation[c]1
[c] Darcania
[c]2[c] Aurora Orb
[c]3[c] Republican Pacific Islands
[c]4[c] The Cascadian Commonwealth

Maybe my program works differently, but for a table you can just use a cool tool that BBCode already provides and generate the table that way. Yeah, it's less fun, but it sure is a lot faster!

Amerion:
With respect, perhaps the last code could be better formatted like this:
Bootsie:
Maybe my program works differently, but for a table you can just use a cool tool that BBCode already provides and generate the table that way. Yeah, it's less fun, but it sure is a lot faster!
I have added these facts to the OP.

Back