Wolfsea

TNPer
TNP Nation
Dakana
Discord
Seph Wolfe
AZTUdwL.png
aVgN5B3.jpg

Conference regarding the Rights and Priveleges of the Draconic population of the Etrebean Peninsula between the Imperial Military Khanate of the Kingdom of Wolfsea and the Allied States of Darcania

Negotiations to be held in the Kahnate Palace in Crescentmaw​
MllRWCO.jpg

The Khan appeared anxious as he made the last-minute checks to the state of the conference room, it had only been a few days since he had received the letter from the Elder of Darcania, he mulled over it in his mind

I, Scian kul Kroning, Elder of the Allied States of Darcania, wish to inform you that within your nation resides the Katura clan. I, as well as representatives from the Sunft clan, will be arriving in Wolfsea soon to negotiate the rights and privileges these dragons should be afforded. Please have temporary accommodations for upwards of eleven dragons prepared for our visit.

Elder Scian kul Kroning
The Allied States of Darcania

with the Darcanian delegation due to arrive soon he had to make sure the palace was prepared, it had been centuries since these halls had hosted dragons, long before the first Khan. Satisfied the palace had been suitably decorated similar to the Etrebean palace of old he stood in the gardens, awaiting the arrival of the delegation.

Wheiss stood on the precipice of his dwelling, closely considering the many changes his people were to accept.

Scian, the fool, had insisted on revealing the Katura clan to the Wolvesh. If that naive imbecile had studied the culture of the Wolvesh, he would never had agreed to certain doom. Certainly, they may worship what they believed were true dragons, but, as soon as they were disappointed with the lesser dragons of Darcania, they would just as soon cleanse the land of the "impure" dragons. Certainly, Wheiss, as a scholar, was obsessed with learning the culture and religion of the Wolvesh: It was truly fascinating. Nevertheless, he preferred to study them at a safe distance.

He laughed to himself. Scian would call Wheiss the same: a fool. Yet, with these humans, Wheiss wished to be cautious, bordering on paranoid. He had already warned his clan in an emergency gathering to flee if Wheiss didn't return by the next sunrise.

He steeled himself as he jumped off the precipice and took flight. He didn't bother bringing his own guard; no amount of guards would stop these Wolvesh. If he would need a guard, he would prefer that more dragons remain behind to flee anyway. He met the young fool Scian mid-flight. He looked around at the other dragons: there were eight Kroning that he failed to recognize, as well as Siparis kul Leiter. He wondered how she and Ulus failed to stop Scian from this mad plan.

The eleven dragons soon landed in the courtyard of a beautiful building; Wheiss wondered momentarily how these barbarians could build something like this, until he remembered that the Etrebeans built it. He stared warily at all the humans around him and felt fear grip his heart.

Sebt stepped forward and adopted the crossed arm salute reserved for the priesthood "Honoured Delegates, I am glad to welcome you to Wolfsea, I am Khan Sebt, leader of the Wolvesh people..." his guards adopting similar salutes but on one knee "We hope you will enjoy your time in our country." he smiled, far friendlier than anyone would have expected "Would you like to see your quarters first?" he asked, ready to lead on.

Wheiss stared as the Wolvesh saluted to the dragons. He was confused for a moment; if they viewed the dragons as impure, they would have attacked, but if they viewed the dragons as he expected, as near gods, they would surely have been more elated. Perhaps he was misreading the Wolvesh, or perhaps he didn't know as much about Wolvesh culture as he thought. He stared over at Scian as the Elder spoke.

"Yes," he said simply.

Wheiss wondered about Scian next. For such a young dragon, he was very... succinct. Normally the young ones haven't yet learned the value of individual words and use too many at once. Wheiss decided to ignore that for now and returned to staring warily at the Wolvesh as they led the dragons to their quarters.

Sebt nodded "Please, follow me." leading the dragons indoors "We tried to bring the decoration in line to how it was during the time of the Dragon-Kings of the Etrebean civilization, I hope it's to your liking." he smiled, leading the dragons down the hall to the Aerie. He tensed his arms and pushed open the large double doors of the first apartment, revealing the luxurious décor "I hope it meets with your expectations." his earnest, friendly demeanour shining through as he began to describe the amenties "Each room has a small selection of reading materials, Flaubert, Shakespeare, Joyce, Herbert, the classics." before indicating towards the curtains "A balcony area for relaxation and enjoying the view of the bay, the sunset is particular beautiful this time of year. We've also had sufficiently-sized telescopes provided for Astrological activities should you be so inclined." before continuing, indicating the closest they could approximate to a bed for a dragon "And, of course, the bed. If you'd like any films or television or have any needs you need only ask the staff." his eyes carefully crossing over the dragons, trying to approximate their moods and reactions. Despite being the gracious host he was still curious as to how they would react, to try to learn how to read them before they would sit at the conference table, if he could get into the mind of a dragon he could better convince them the Wolvesh would be valuable allies in the future. He wondered how the Dragon-Kings of old had managed, by all accounts Kul Katura had been quite cryptic with his advice so he expected these dragons to be similarly labrynthian in their thinking.

Wheiss, despite his mistrust of the Wolvesh, couldn't suppress his scholarly interest in his surroundings. The Etrebeans were undoubtedly very cultured. It was very likely that the Wolvesh, while culturally derived from the Etrebeans, were a reaction against them. He wondered specifically what about the Etrebeans the Wolvesh were reacting against. He considered for a moment; it was likely a lack of military strength.

In fact, following from their worship of dragons, it appeared that the Etrebeans designed their buildings to be accessible to dragons. Wheiss considered this; indeed, if the place weren't infested with the Wolvesh, he could get used to living in this country, not having to hide from any humans.

He shook himself out of his reverie and stared around at the others; the Wolvesh were still unreadable, humans as they were, though he found most of his kin to also be looking around. The guards didn't seem to pay much attention to the decorations, though: they were peering in the shadows, looking out for any threats. He was surprised; dragons rarely took such matters so seriously. He looked up at Scian and Siparis: they both maintained a near regal appearance, maintaining their view forward and walking with confidence and poise.

When he entered the dragons' quarters, he nearly lost himself. It was perfect; everything a dragon could need, or even want. Books, balconies, heights; he simply wanted to be lost in the luxury. He stopped himself quickly, however, when Siparis sent him a glare. He felt almost like a child again. He looked over at the significantly younger Scian; he didn't even flinch when he saw the accommodations.

"Thank you for the accommodations," Scian stated, unreadable as always.

Sebt nodded "Would you like to settle in or would you prefer to see the conference hall? Of coure the Palac is fully open to you." he smiled.

"No, thank you." Scian said before walking past the Khan and lying down out on the balcony. A dragon with dull golden scales followed him; Wheiss noticed with a shock that the dragon was from the Zessik clan, a clan known for its high concentration of priests. He was surprised; he didn't expect such a young dragon to be so devout.

At this point, Siparis spoke up. "Apologies, Khan," she said. "Our Elder has duties he must attend to which will keep him busy for the remainder of the day. I am Siparis kul Leiter, and this is Wheiss kul Katura, the leader of the Katura clan." Wheiss stepped forward and inclined his head as a sign of respect. With the introductions completed, Siparis indicated to the Khan that she and Wheiss would indeed prefer to see the conference hall first. The guards removed themselves from the doorway so the Khan could lead the way.

Sebt nodded "Of course Siparis kul Leiter, matters of state must take precedence" bowing his head slightly to both Dragons as a sign of respect, returning Wheiss' bow "Wheiss kul Katura forgive me but, while not being disrespectful to the rest of your party, it is a great honour to welcome a dragon of clan Katura." before returning to addressing both dragons "We see this conference as a sign that our course in the world's affairs is the right one." continuing to talk as he led the way "I hope that our governments will find a common ground through these talks, are there any questions you might have?"

Oh, flattery. Wheiss always liked flattery. He fluttered his wings slightly, as dragons tend to when they appreciate flattery, but also curled his tail slightly, as he still didn't trust the Khan, and believed he was trying to soften Wheiss. Siparis gave him another disapproving glare; Wheiss felt more like a small child with every minute that passed. It didn't help that Siparis was treating him like one. He looked over at Siparis: She didn't quite look regal, but she did have a calm, steady air about her. Indeed, based on the utter lack of movement from her tail, she seemed almost bored, as if all these humans were no more than the many dragonets that she had dealt with before. These humans would likely give her no issues at all.

"Yes," Siparis said as she followed the Khan, "is there a schedule we should be aware of?"

Wheiss considered his own self as Siparis spoke with the Khan. In comparison with Siparis, who remained unnaturally calm and unreadable, he was expressing his emotions freely. His tail was curling and uncurling in agitation, his ears were propped up with suspicion, his wings were flexed with fear and ready to move at any point. He thought for a while, still keeping a watchful eye on the Khan ahead of him. If he were to serve as a diplomat to these humans, he would have to learn to keep himself calm and unreadable as well. He almost felt like roaring: a dragon, hiding their emotions? They weren't lowly humans. His claws flexed with anger as he walked. He would rather leave his clan than become an unfeeling shell.

Sebt nodded "Yes, we were intending to begin the first round of the conference tomorrow at 10:00, a brief recess for lunch around 13:00 before continuing at 14:00 with us ending the day around 18:00 so everybody has time to unwind before the Banquet at 20:00. There should be a copy of the schedule in your chambers." placing his hand upon the door handles, opening the large double-doors to reveal the conference room. Much like the hallways the Conference Room was cavernous to accommodate Dragons but the large stone table in the centre dominated the room, the black granite was inlaid with intricate patterns of silver, the precious metal had been poured into the fine carvings while molten, standing starkly against the polished stone, set in a circle at the centre of the table was a large disc carved from a single piece of the white gemstone called Dragonstone by the Wolvesh. A simple but well-made seat had been made for each Delegate from Darcania, their flag placed upon a bannerette pole behind the Elder's seat, opposite to which was the Khan's, a simple stone chair behind which was the Wolvesh banner, along the Wolvesh side were another 26 seats, each draped with a banner belonging to a different tribe of the Wolvesh "I trust the room is satisfactory?" Sebt enquired.

By the time they reached the conference room, Wheiss had calmed down; even if he decided against hiding his emotions, it wasn't as if these Wolvesh would be able to read him. He was glad he had calmed down as well: The conference room was incredible. Wheiss's wings flared out slightly from excitement and even comfort as he looked around the room. Indeed, while he had never been to Wyssiria, Wheiss believed that a conference room such as this would be perfect for the dragons there.

He began circling around the table, staring at the polished black granite. The silver patterns were so beautiful and detailed. He looked up toward the center of the table and saw an incredible sight: Dragonstone. He had seen this precious mineral before, but rarely; in a disk like this, surrounded by the silver carvings and black granite, it looked like the moon in a most beautiful night.

He would have to remember to speak with the Zessik when he returned to his quarters. He became acutely aware of how little he had been giving to the dragons' goddess of the moon.

"It is satisfactory," he stated, speaking for the first time since he arrived. Similarly to Siparis and Scian, he maintained a calm, peaceful tone while he spoke.

Siparis nodded to him and turned back to the Khan. "We will meet you here on the morrow, then," she said. "Is there anything else you wish to show us before we retire to our quarters?"

"I cannot think of anywhere, that is unless there is something you wish to see." Sebt bowed his head slightly, remembering it was important to show due respect at all times to a dragon "All I ask is that you do not enter the western tower, normally I would not impose any such restrictions but my wife can only be seen by myself, blood relatives and her personal attendants for the next six months, as such I apologise for her absence during your visit."

Wheiss stared over at Siparis as he heard a very, very low growl from her, likely so low the human Khan couldn't hear it. She was even curling her tail. Wheiss understood: To a society such as theirs, where females are the dominant gender and freedom is held in high regard, such a tradition would likely appear barbaric and alien. Even so, he was shocked, as he never expected Siparis to show such emotion during diplomatic talks.

Wheiss stepped up between the Khan and Siparis to prevent her from doing anything rash. "Of course," he said, remaining tranquil. "It would not do to interfere with the cultures and traditions of our hosts." He turned to Siparis, giving her a calm glare, though he still remained fearful of how she would react to him stepping in front of her. "We will retire to our quarters and return here in the morning."

Siparis returned Wheiss's glare for a while, and just when Wheiss was about to balk, she nodded, likely not trusting herself to speak out of turn. She turned and walked out of the room, heading to her quarters. Her guards, with the exception of two, followed her, while the remainder remained with Wheiss.

Wheiss turned back to Sebt. "Thank you for hosting us. This is truly a marvelous building," he said.

"I thank you for being such gracious guests, I truly wish you could meet Andrea but it is a longstanding tradition. Often, during our dark ages, chieftains would kidnap the spouse of a rival while pregnant and, while a Wolvesh woman is just as capable a warrior if not more so the tradition remains today within the Khanate family to keep the child safe until their birth.My people have strong tradition, it kept us alive... Plus if anything were to happen to either of them.. I would have to give my sister the Khanate as I would not be able to continue as an effective ruler." He sighed "It is ironic really, my people chose what they do, whether infantry or a family doctor, as part of our forces... But I had no such choice, I must be the best Ruler for the Wolvesh or I must step aside for another prepared for the role." Laughing softly at himself "I apologise, its not often I get to talk to someone who actually thinks of me as a man, who doesn't expect me to know all the answers... But then, they put so much time into moulding us that way that its not surprising." Sent shrugged, knowing he probably shouldn't have confessed his self-doubt but feeling much better"I hope these talks see the wisdom of the dragons return to our lands." his voice betraying his genuine sincerity.

"It would be foolish of anyone to expect any mortal, from the short-lived human to the aged dragon, to have all the answers," Wheiss replied, glad to be free from the strict formalities of diplomacy. He paused for a moment, considering his next statement carefully. "Should this conference go well, I would be glad to offer you my friendship," Wheiss continued, returning the Khan's sincerity by placing a forepaw over his chest and bowing slightly in respect, which this Khan was rapidly receiving. "It is my hope that we may serve as an example to all others how two different species may work together in friendship and respect."

"Thank you for that tidbit of your culture," Wheiss continued. "If I may, I would like to share with you a tradition from my clan.

"My clan is formed of those who love scholarly insights, especially with regards to religion. For any dragon to be considered a full adult, he or she must go out in the world and find another clan, whereby he or she learns the religion and culture of that clan. The dragon then returns and shares their research, at which point he or she is considered an adult and a full member of the clan. When I set out, I had difficulty finding a clan. I searched for years, cursing Feyt, our goddess of chaos, for giving me such bad luck. It was then that I found one: the Sanguine clan."

Wheiss's guards stared at him in shock as he continued. "The Sanguine clan is a cursed clan, consisting of a single dragon: Zephyr kul Sanguine, who was exiled for his murder of the God-King Aeolus which plunged all of the clans into our own dark ages. Even in my youth, I was terrified. I cursed Feyt again before I had a foolish plan: I would find out what Zephyr thought of our religion.

"I approached him, still terrified, and asked him. He would only say one thing: We were right. No matter how much I pressed him, he would not speak further. Defeated, I returned to my clan. They were shocked that I had chosen the Sanguine clan, and were disappointed when I told them my findings, but they celebrated my return all the same. I was a full adult.

"It took me many years to find out what he meant," Wheiss said, "but, if you don't mind, I believe that story can wait until later." He yawned widely, his guards still staring at him in awe. "It is getting late, after all, and I am sure the others are waiting for me."

"Of course, I hope you sleep well." Sebt smiled, glad Wheiss had been able to share something also, trust was vital and, if nothing else, he hoped that he could at least gain the trust of the dragons. This Sanguine clan intrigued him, he was curious as to learning just what the truth of this tale would be. He waited a while in the room alone, not quite able to get his mind off things before finally making his way to his chambers for the night.

Wheiss considered the events of the day as he padded back to the Aerie. He was still worried about the militarization of these Wolvesh, and what could happen if the Khan ever took offense to Wheiss. He flattened his wings as he squeezed lightly through the double doors, then stretched and yawned again as he looked around again. He dismissed his two guards for the night, who gratefully retired to the extravagant bedrooms. There were still two guards at the door; they nodded at Wheiss as his gaze passed over them. He walked towards the curtains separating the balconies from the rest of the Aerie.

He was surprised to see Scian there, alone, staring out at the dark bay which beautifully reflected the light of the moon. He walked up and sat down next to him, joining him in his reverie.

"Hello, Wheiss," Scian said.

"He speaks," Wheiss replied.

"Sometimes."

They sat together in the night together for a while, both deep in thought, before they returned inside and retired to their respective bedrooms.

Wheiss woke up early the next morning; according to a nearby clock, it was seven. He thought to himself for a moment; did the humans begin their clock at sunset or midnight? He walked out of his bedroom and into the spacious center chamber, where he took a moment to stretch his wings to their full length before walking out to the balcony and jumping off, catching the air as he fell. He flew for a while, enjoying the fresh morning breeze, before returning to see the others were awake.

He sat and ate a bountiful breakfast, expertly prepared by no doubt the best chefs of the Wolvesh. He, Scian, and Siparis discussed the conference ahead as they finished and waited for an escort to the conference tables.

The night had been quite Restless for Sebt, even though he had only earned of Andrea's condition the day before he still felt ill at ease not even being able to sleep in the same room as her, he quickly dismissed his personal troubles, the conference with the Darcanians was too important. All he wanted was for his people to use their strength for the good of the world, he was even prepared to show the delegates the two new vessels the Armada was constructing that not even the Grand Khural had seen. He remembered his father's warmongering, his desire for conquest and a paranoia that cause his sanity to slip, the day he had to depose him, the vote in the Grand Khural had been so close, barely ten votes granted him the right to challenge his father and, thankfully, he had won. He didn't eat much, a few scraps from the night before, under his rule he had seen the people of San Antilles willingly end the 800 year occupation by accepting positions in the Grand Khural and the states of Gerontia and Eseri had, after the wars with them, had settled down, his men had rebuilt and upgraded their infrastructure, had begun assisting their militaries with training and reequipping, and both populaces had taken becoming Protectorates well, Gerontia in particular had enjoyed it's liberation from the previously despotic regime, the new civilian government was finding it's way but, as had always been the way, Sebt believed in Yrka's saying "A wise ruler does not brutalise with conquest, he becomes a shield for those he once met with a sword." and that, more than anything, was what he believed now. Protecting the region, if not the world, from those without honour who would use power to crush the innocent but as Peacekeepers, not Conquerors. He sighed, knowing that his people had a long road before they would truly be trusted, Sarah had done her part in Syrixia and Anton was doing all he could at the WA but many nations called him a dictator, some demonising the Wolvesh simply for their culture. Theirs had been a brutal struggle to survive until Yrka united them under the Wolf's banner, they had seen the politicians of the Etrebean city-states save themselves and abandon them to die and Yrka's regime had given them security and hope, they had stumbled along the way but hadn't every nation?

Sebt didn't seem to smile much as the Tribal Elders shuffled into the Conference Hall, they had taken some convincing but most had come round to seeing this conference as a good idea, they each stood by their seats as the messengers were despatched to bring the Darcanians to the hall "My lord... you've barely slept... or eaten... are you sure you could not postpone the conference..." came a whisper from the stocky middle-aged man at his right-hand, Sebt smiled "It's alright Goltah... I'll be fine." but still noticing the look of concern, Goltah had served on his fathers counsel as Elder of the Cirrane tribe, often barely escaping the old Khan's wrath due to the people's love for him, he had once been Sebt's commanding officer and had mentored the young prince well, practically more of a father than his own had been. He knew Goltah was worried but he had to make this conference a success, Wolfsea depended on him and he would do all he could not to fail her.

Wheiss looked up, surprised, as a Wolvesh messenger entered the Aerie, appearing intimidated, either from the guards who were eyeing him closely or from the prospect of speaking to the honored delegates. Wheiss was unused to how fast this human conference was progressing; he heard tell of some clan meetings which lasted months. He dismissed the messenger as he and the others prepared themselves for the conference ahead.

Wheiss led the others to the conference room; Scian had insisted that Wheiss, as the leader of the clan who would negotiate with the Wolvesh, lead the group. He entered the conference room silent and calm; he was still uncomfortable with the prospect of hiding his feelings from these humans, but he was confident this Khan would prove to be a good friend and a valuable ally, provided these several other humans in the room proved to be amicable enough.

Wheiss silently took his seat to the left of the Elder's, the others following close behind. Siparis took the seat to the right of Scian, while the guards fanned out and took positions nearby, watching the humans closely. The three dragons remained silent; as this was the first conference they ever had with humans, they were unsure of how best to start, and simply waited for the Khan to begin the conference in earnest.

Sebt, joined by the Wolvesh representatives, stood and performed the cross-armed salute with which he had greeted the Dragons "Esteemed Representatives of the Dragon Clans of Darcania, I thank you for honouring us with your willingness to talk. It was the words of my ancestor, Yrka, that brought my people together and his deeds that unified us truly, I hope that these words shall, likewise, be the first steps towards fellowship between our peoples." before lowering his arms "We hope that although you arrived as honoured guests you will leave as friends." he smiled.

Back