Gracius Maximus, Attorney General

Gracius Maximus

Tyrant (Ret.)
As the incumbent, I tend to believe that my record speaks for itself. While no criminal trials took place under this most recent term, I did reorganize the Attorney General's Office and oversaw the beginning of a review of past precedent, resulting in a clerical clarification within the Court.

It is my aim to continue the trend of streamlining our overly cumbersome judicial system through the review of past rulings in the hope of making justice more accessible to the common citizen within The North Pacific.

As always, I am happy to answer your questions.

At present there is proposed legislation before the Assembly that would enable a transition from an adversarial to a non-adversarial justice system.

1. As you understand it, what is the distinction between an adversarial and a non-adversarial justice system?
2. Of the two systems, which do you think is better suited for TNP?

plembobria:
What's your opinion on the oh-so controversial issue of "standing."
I believe any member of the Regional Assembly should have the ability to bring any grievance before the Court at any time for any reason. I believe the Court should be expeditious enough to accommodate this and could address the merits of the complaint out with the 'standing' of the petitioner.

Belschaft:
At present there is proposed legislation before the Assembly that would enable a transition from an adversarial to a non-adversarial justice system.

1. As you understand it, what is the distinction between an adversarial and a non-adversarial justice system?
2. Of the two systems, which do you think is better suited for TNP?
Considering that the legislation in question removes the Attorney General's Office completely and I am running for said office, I would, by necessity, need to endorse the current system.

JJ has mentioned a new policy you have introduced of allowing anonymous complainants.

Could you comment on this? It is something we have not had in TNP before, and I was quite surprised to learn of it through the campaign thread of one of your opponents (unless i missed an announcement).

flemingovia:
JJ has mentioned a new policy you have introduced of allowing anonymous complainants.

Could you comment on this? It is something we have not had in TNP before, and I was quite surprised to learn of it through the campaign thread of one of your opponents (unless i missed an announcement).
In this update to the Criminal Complaint filing procedure from November 2014 it is noted:

*ALL COMPLAINTS MAY BE PUBLICLY POSTED IN THE COMPLAINT DOCKET FOR CONSIDERATION OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE. IF YOU WISH TO FILE A CONFIDENTIAL COMPLAINT THEY ALSO MAY BE SUBMITTED VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE TO THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OR DEPUTY ATTORNEY GENERAL OVER THE CRIMINAL DIVISION.*

During this term I received one private criminal complaint. I presented it to the AG's Office staff for discussion and we decided that the merits of the case were not sufficient to pursue prosecution at this time.

Some nations have expressed to me that they feel intimidated in making complaints. It is not necessary or legally mandated that the initial complaint be public, therefore, I have allowed nations to present their grievances in private.

Back