Gulliver for Delegate

Gulliver

TNPer
Good your-local-time-of-day TNP'ers and, more importantly, potential voters! In case you missed the bold text directly to the left of this message, my name is Gulliver. And in case you clicked on this topic without reading the title, I, under the influence of some dark power not understood to man, have accepted my nomination for Delegate and will be contesting this election.

What have I done before?
I believe most of you know who I am and what I've done for theregion, but just in case I'd like to start with some all-North-Pacifican reminiscing about the good old days. The "good old days" being, now that I bother to dig through the archives, nearly three years ago. Sweet agnostic god figure I kinda feel old...

Anyway, I was elected Speaker of the Regional Assembly back in the forgotten era of May of 2012. I dedicated my term, in cooperation with many members of the Assembly, to the pursuit of an aggressive program of reform to streamline and cut down our region's infamously byzantine and pedantic legal documents. The campaign was a brutal and grueling one which claimed the sanity of more good legislators than I care to remember. But in the end, the result was a triumphant and decisive victory over the forces of obfuscation and confusion. If memory serves, the Constitution itself was cut down to something on the order of a mere fifth of its original size while maintaining all the actual vital functions of the original document.

I also modernized how the the Regional Assembly's records are kept. Leveraging the tools offered by Google and the power of the NationStates API, I was able to successfully automate a large portion of tracking membership requirements for Regional Assembly participation. This same system, with additional improvements made by my successors, lives on today and continues to be a boon to our diligent and ever paperwork-weary Speakers.

Why am I running for Delegate now?
I saw my term to completion, faithfully doing my job until my final day in office. After that, however, the unfortunate obligations and rigors of real life took precedence. Without the time to participate, I was forced to allow my membership in the Regional Assembly laps. It has only been relatively recently that my schedule has resolved such that I can participate in TNP again.

In all honesty, I was expecting things to move a bit slower in getting back into the swing of things here in TNP. I certainly was not expecting that there would be a special Delegate election, or that I would have the honor of being nominated. But when an opportunity like that comes up, sometimes you've got to do the impulsive thing and take it before it goes.

Perhaps a campaign like this so soon after returning is a longshot, but I took immense pride in serving The North Pacific as Speaker and in all the good I was able to accomplish for the region during my term. I know I still have so much more to offer, and would love nothing more than being given the opportunity by my fellow TNP'ers to bring that same level of ability, commitment and innovation with which I reshaped our legislative branch to our executive branch.

What am I going to do?
Truthfully, what I have to say may not appear to be a great deal compared to some other candidates. I stand before you primarily not on inmaterial promises but on the concrete record of past accomplishments and service to our region that I detailed above. I have shown myself to be a competent administrator, capable of achieving large changes and improving upon old and outdated systems. My first and foremost promise will be to bring that same portfolio of skills to bear on the many ministries of the executive. That said, I will touch upon other points in brief:

Military: I have had opportunities to work with our armed forces in the past, and they are a fine lot, but there's always more work that could be done. I would seek to standardize and systemize its recruitment process and training regimens so that its successes today can be reliably maintained and capitalized on going forward.

Culture: The cultural aspect that interests me most is that of roleplay. I've been a roleplayer since I joined NationStates ten years ago, and I'd like to see TNP's currently roleplay nurtured and improved. There's a lot of potential there, but it needs a great deal of work which as a seasoned roleplayer I'd be no stranger to.

Education and the University: I applaud the work that these initiatives have done so far. I will see that they are continued and expanded and that they are established as valued institutions of the region.

Foreign Policy: I think that with foreign policy it is all too easy to fall into the trap of accepting the status quo as sufficient. It's obvious that we are already a widely known and respected region on the world state, but keeping that position requires continued hard work and initiative to adapt to the changing winds of interregional relations. I will actively seek new relations that may benefit the region, and work to forestall decay or damage to already established regions.

Communication: Communications has become somewhat moribund, with no publication of The North Lights for quite some time. I would like to give the ministry a swift kick and get it back in gear. The soft power we project through our regional publications, while not the end all be all, is still important to maintain.

World Assembly Affairs: I think there's room to make the process by which the Delegate decides their vote more systematic. I will also reach out to our collaborators in WALL to collective assess the program's performance to date, and decide what steps to take next with it.

Swag and such
Whether you were smart enough to just skip the preceding text or diligent enough to read it all, congratulations on either your cleverness or endurance! As your reward, here's the code to put this stunning campaign button:

WvCYKYU.png

Into your signature:

Code:
[url=http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7348309/1/][img]http://i.imgur.com/WvCYKYU.png[/img][/url]

Made with locally rendered pixels without any inorganic filters, this button will let your friends, family and enemies know what an astute and cultured person you are for supporting me in this election. So slap it on your signature, wear it with pride and get the word out!

Some Final Words

There's not a great deal to say here that hasn't already been said, so I'll get off my soapbox now and give you all a chance to mercilessly grill me with any questions you might have.

I can sympathize, whenever I see a picture like:

6V7FJRr.gif

I feel my most primal fight-or-flight instincts kicking in.

I have three questions.

1. What are your plans for the cabinet? A full replacement, reorganization, or the status quo?

2. Would you focus the military on specifically defending or raiding or would you not have any specific focus?

3. Are there any regions specifically that you want to further relations with? Are there any that you want to move away from?

If elected as Delegate, what is the first project you would work on upon assuming office?

Also: Kudos on the awesome button.

Malvad:
I have three questions.

1. What are your plans for the cabinet? A full replacement, reorganization, or the status quo?

2. Would you focus the military on specifically defending or raiding or would you not have any specific focus?

3. Are there any regions specifically that you want to further relations with? Are there any that you want to move away from?
1. This is a matter that will be have to be addressed on a case by case basis for each ministry. It may be possible to leave those that are functioning well as is, but for others a change in administration may be necessary. It's an option of last resort, but one I'm willing to use if that's what it takes. Communications in particular is something that needs work. I'd like to make TNL a premier newspaper of the world again

2. I personally am a sovereigntist, so given a choice between a defender operation and a raider operation for the military to participate in, assuming both would benefit the region's interests or at least no harm, I would be inclined to pick the defender one. That said, the military is not my own personal militia, and serves the good of the region rather than my personal ideology. Much of what is right and necessary for the NPA to do falls outside of the simple raider-defender dichotomy, and I will not commit the armed forces to a rigid ideology which limits their function as an instrument of regional interest.

3. There are no regions specifically which I believe we need to reach out to at this time. Rather, I want there to be an emphasis on actively and systematically seeking such opportunities in the structure and culture of the Foreign Ministry so that it proactively rather than reactively addresses the changes in the diplomatic tides. The same goes for regions to move away from.

Alta Italia:
If elected as Delegate, what is the first project you would work on upon assuming office?

Also: Kudos on the awesome button.
This is a bit of a tough question to answer, what with there being so many things I want to accomplish. One thing that comes to mind though is the Northern Lights. The newspaper has put out some great articles in the past and is one of the ways the rest of the world gets to know our region. Recently there's been a lapse in its publication schedule. I would like to get it back up and running and turning out great articles again on a regular basis.

As a credible candidate, do you feel no shame in taking attention away from more deserving if less electable candidacies like Cormac and BEL/JAL?

Belschaft:
As a credible candidate, do you feel no shame in taking attention away from more deserving if less electable candidacies like Cormac and BEL/JAL?
It gnawed at my conscience once, but a strong and decisive delegate must learn to quash such inconvenient emotions to achieve the greater good, no matter the grim, dystopian novel inspiring cost. Such is the burden of leadership.

Your comments about The Northern Lights seem a little out of touch. TNL has been in existence for only 10 months, and published issues on its 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 9th months of existence. For which portion of its history would you consider it the premier publication of NationStates, and at what point would you describe it as regularly publishing new issues?

For the record, I agree that we need to be publishing more frequently, but your comments suggest a recent downturn in productivity that is simply not borne out by the publication history.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Your comments about The Northern Lights seem a little out of touch. TNL has been in existence for only 10 months, and published issues on its 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 9th months of existence. For which portion of its history would you consider it the premier publication of NationStates, and at what point would you describe it as regularly publishing new issues?

For the record, I agree that we need to be publishing more frequently, but your comments suggest a recent downturn in productivity that is simply not borne out by the publication history.
I'll take your word for it that the publication history has been sparser than I believed, and that the inclusion of the word "again" was inappropriate. But take that one word out and the original point still stands. Ultimately it's not what the Northern Lights was that's important, but where it's going that is. Whether it's again or for the first time, the core thing I want is for TNL to be a premier publication. It sounds like that's a goal we both share, and it's definitely doable. The articles published so far, as infrequent as they have been, have certainly given me at least expectations of great things to come.

How difficult do you think it would be for you to acquire over 500 endorsements?

I ask this because even with popular support, regional telegrams, and a WFE mention, it was still incredibly difficult for our then Vice Delegate to even approach second in the region in terms of endorsements. I worry that it would take up a considerable amount of your term to even become in-game delegate.

Democratic Donkeys:
How difficult do you think it would be for you to acquire over 500 endorsements?

I ask this because even with popular support, regional telegrams, and a WFE mention, it was still incredibly difficult for our then Vice Delegate to even approach second in the region in terms of endorsements. I worry that it would take up a considerable amount of your term to even become in-game delegate.
I don't expect it to be easy, but I'm fully prepared for the slog. I also know that allied regions will be happy to assist in the transition, as they have recently with Silly String. If it takes a while, then so be it. I'm certain the Vice Delegate will be more than happy to exercise in game power on my behalf during that period, and I'll still have full control of my considerable constitutionally mandated, non-WA powers. All in all I think the possibility is a more than fair price to pay to keep the opportunity to run for public office open to all citizens, not just established endotarters and the Security Council.

Are you running for Delegate here just 'cause you lost in Taijitu?
He made it clear from the beginning that he would resign if he won the election in Taijitu. He intended on losing that election, and at the time no one had any idea that there would be a delegate election...

plembobria:
Are you running for Delegate here just 'cause you lost in Taijitu?
I feel I've served as Citizen-Initiator long enough and am happy that a different citizen of Taijitu is now getting the same opportunity to serve in the position that I had. And even if I were a bit glum about it, I certainly would not be so petty or stupid as to take my frustration out by running for an entirely unrelated office with wholly different responsibilities. I am running for Delegate because I have been looking for ways to be of service to the North Pacific as a citizen of the region again, as I did when I was Speaker, and my nomination provided me with just such an opportunity, albeit sooner than I had expected.

I don't expect it to be easy, but I'm fully prepared for the slog. I also know that allied regions will be happy to assist in the transition, as they have recently with Silly String. If it takes a while, then so be it
This seems like a fairly cavalier response to a legitimate concern. How much political capital will the region expend as you begin your leisurely ascent to the delegacy? How long are we to rely on our allies to prop up our government? Your response seems to indicate a lack of consideration for how long it can take to collect 500+ endorsements. My point being we are already receiving the support of our allies and will now have to rely on that support until you get around to collecting endorsements. I am straining to recall an instance at any point in the recent past where a candidate for delegate did not have any endorsements while campaigning, or even one that did not have a WA nation in The North Pacific at all.

I'm certain the Vice Delegate will be more than happy to exercise in game power on my behalf during that period, and I'll still have full control of my considerable constitutionally mandated, non-WA powers.
Have you checked with the VD on that assumption? At least part of the reason SS did not want the delegacy herself was seemingly because she was not willing to take on that level of responsibility. It would be your job, and an essential aspect of your role, to be delegate of the region in the game which we are playing.

All in all I think the possibility is a more than fair price to pay to keep the opportunity to run for public office open to all citizens, not just established endotarters and the Security Council.
Nowhere did I suggest that you lack the qualifications to be delegate because you are not an endotarter or SC member. But you may want to actually start gathering endorsements if you want to be delegate, because that is an important part of the position.

Most Feeders have endorsement caps, and it regularly takes their newly elected Delegates quite some time to reach the Delegacy if they are subject to the cap. It can take weeks in The South Pacific. Relax.

I, personally, think we should open nominations for Delegate only to Security Council members. This will make things more convenient and delegacy transitions quicker - after all, convenience and speed are what democracy's all about.

Nowhere did I suggest that you lack the qualifications to be delegate because you are not an endotarter or SC member.
Your previous statement in the same post seems to say otherwise:
I am straining to recall an instance at any point in the recent past where a candidate for delegate did not have any endorsements while campaigning, or even one that did not have a WA nation in The North Pacific at all.
It's not an absolute assertion, but it's a very strong implication that having preexisting endorsements is an important quality for being elected delegate.

I also do already have a WA, Pumpkin Spice, in the region and have begun tarting on it (Incidentally, for anyone reading this, if you were unsure about whether you should vote for me, this means that The Sixth Spice Girl of Pumpkin Spice will be TNP's delegate if I win. If you're not the kind of person who wants to see that happen, I don't know what's wrong with you).

I can see the arguments for your position, it's not entirely without merit. But if that's to be such a powerful determiner for who is fit to serve as delegate then it should be written into the laws so it's plain for all to see (though I'd rather it remain out).

Myroria:
I, personally, think we should open nominations for Delegate only to Security Council members. This will make things more convenient and delegacy transitions quicker - after all, convenience and speed are what democracy's all about.
That would be convenient but that works against the freedom of any nominated citizen to run for elected offices.

Syrixia:
Myroria:
That would be convenient but that works against the freedom of any nominated citizen to run for elected offices.
The only freedom I'm concerned with is the freedom for things to be done as quickly and easily as possible at all times.

Myroria:
Syrixia:
Myroria:
The only freedom I'm concerned with is the freedom for things to be done as quickly and easily as possible at all times.
In that case why not go with a dictator and his secret police? Forget democracy! It's way too slow!

david_:
Myroria:
Syrixia:
Myroria:
In that case why not go with a dictator and his secret police? Forget democracy! It's way too slow!
NOW you are thinking like a true revolutionary! ;)

david_:
Myroria:
Syrixia:
Myroria:
That is an excellent idea. Then we can help reduce the time it takes to make a decision to the time it takes one neuron to fire.

Gulliver, please come up with a slogan (for your campaign or anything else) that you would be happy putting in the font Papyrus. Please justify this decision to your voters/shareholders.

SillyString:
Gulliver, please come up with a slogan (for your campaign or anything else) that you would be happy putting in the font Papyrus. Please justify this decision to your voters/shareholders.
"Now macaroni cheese and grill my swordfish." Because reasons.

Back