[Draft] International Court Act

Isloe

TNPer
I posted this draft on the In-Game forum am looking for comments and constructive criticism.

Note: This was posted on NS Forum by my other nation accidentally.

International Court Act
(Category: Human Rights; Strength: Strong)​

Noting that while the World Assembly has produced many fine resolutions this assembly has no method of enforcing those resolutions.

Disgusted by the amount of World Assembly member States who have committed International Crimes, resulting in impact on their peoples.

Determined to prevent this practice;

Defines 'International Crime' as the breaking of any World Assembly Resolution.

Hereby establishes the International Court [IC] and provides it with the following powers:

1] The power to summon member nations to be tried for International Crimes.

2] The power to impose the following punishment on said nations:

a] Monetary Fines
b] Imprisonment of those party to the crime
c] Economic sanctions
d] Any other punishment deemed necessary by the World Assembly

3] The power to provide compensation to those affected.

4] The power to hear appeals on passed rulings.

Mandates that the World Assembly has the right to try nations accused of International Crimes in the International Court.

Thanks for posting your draft here.

Firstly, I think we have seen International Court proposals before and I believe that they were always highly controversial matters and that they were later repealed. I think you've made a good start here, but you really need to go into greater detail.

One other issue is that the World assembly proposals are automatically enforced upon nations. Nations who RP that they do not uphold them, is a separate matter. By definition those resolutions are imposed on all member states. At least as I understand it...

Hopefully Mousebumples or another GA author will be around to help you out. :)

My view is that the WA is just a tool. To give it too much authority over member nations/regions and non-member nations is a big mistake.

What we really need is a competing international organisation that can compete with the WA.

Romanoffia:
My view is that the WA is just a tool. To give it too much authority over member nations/regions and non-member nations is a big mistake.

What we really need is a competing international organisation that can compete with the WA.
Agreed, but I don't think many would join it.

Syrixia:
Romanoffia:

The idea I had a number of years ago was to modify NationStates so that there are two competing world organisations that compete for control of regions. Sort of like a WA-Red and a WA-Blue. Each nation chooses which WA to join - Red or Blue. Within a given region, whichever colour organisation has the most nations (and nations can change affiliation) gets to choose the Delegate by extending endorsements to a nation of their chose colour membership. It would really put a spin on how regions are governed and controlled and how regions interact and compete for control of regions. A simple idea with very complicated results and consequences.

Of course, the whole nature of the game would change in terms of mechanics. Not only would you have regional competition but also competition between two different WA type organisations for control of all of NS.

As an avid follower and debater of the WA in general, I can tell you this would be one up hill battle. International Court Systems have been a hot button issue in the GA for a while now. And this arguably is less focused than the last one. The last incarnation of a WA Court is the ICC, and that was extremely focused in mission and even it eventually was consumed by the pressure it was put under.

Romanoffia:
Syrixia:
Romanoffia:

The idea I had a number of years ago was to modify NationStates so that there are two competing world organisations that compete for control of regions. Sort of like a WA-Red and a WA-Blue. Each nation chooses which WA to join - Red or Blue. Within a given region, whichever colour organisation has the most nations (and nations can change affiliation) gets to choose the Delegate by extending endorsements to a nation of their chose colour membership. It would really put a spin on how regions are governed and controlled and how regions interact and compete for control of regions. A simple idea with very complicated results and consequences.

Of course, the whole nature of the game would change in terms of mechanics. Not only would you have regional competition but also competition between two different WA type organisations for control of all of NS.
That's not what I was thinking. I was thinking clash of clans style interregional war and customizable soldiers for each nation, holding a banner of their region and their nation.

Simple red and blue makes NS a lot like CN, plus more turmoil.

Also, people forget each player is a nation itself in his/her own right. Regional governments are simply "hypernations" made of nations each contributing to the region of the world they are located in.

Syrixia:
Also, people forget each player is a nation itself in his/her own right. Regional governments are simply "hypernations" made of nations each contributing to the region of the world they are located in.
There may be some regions where this is the case, and the DU is an example of it in TNP, but one of the central tenets of GP-IC is that this is not the case.

Back