Celebrating the Bill of Rights

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
Recently JJ proposed the introduction of a Bill of Rights day into our calendar. During the debate it seemed to me that there was general sympathy for the idea of celebrating the Bill, but a degree of reticence to introduce another holiday.

Therefore I recommend this change to our Legal Code. It mentions and marks the Bill of Rights, but does not add another date to our diary.

The Legal Code Section 7.2.10 shall be amended to read: "The seventh of July, the day the constitution was ratified, shall be known as Democracy Day, and shall commemorate the Constitution, Bill of Rights and Legal Code of the North Pacific."

For reference, section 7.2.10 currently reads:

10. The seventh of July shall be Constitution Day, and shall commemorate the ratification of the Constitution of the North Pacific.

Crushing Our Enemies:
I like the idea, but the name "Supreme Law Day" seems a little cumbersome. Perhaps "Democracy Day" or something similar?
I agree with COE. Democracy Day has a nice ring to it :P

I took the title from the way our official signpost designates those documents.

I agree with the cumbersome nature of the title. I will edit.

We dont even celebrate the holidays we have. The speaker just closes the vote threads if any for 24 hours.

At least the Flemings (Flemingovianism and Lemmings Hah! =P Joking Flem) put on the blessing of the Sugar canes.

I think TNP should actually celebrate the holidays on the books first before adding more.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
We dont even celebrate the holidays we have. The speaker just closes the vote threads if any for 24 hours.

At least the Flemings (Flemingovianism and Lemmings Hah! =P Joking Flem) put on the blessing of the Sugar canes.

I think TNP should actually celebrate the holidays on the books first before adding more.
Read the OP. This does not add a holiday, it redefines one we already have.

flemingovia:
PaulWallLibertarian42:

Please read my other comment.

Im not opposee to amending the language. I was lamenting the fact that we dont really celebrate the holidays. :(

PaulWallLibertarian42:
flemingovia:
PaulWallLibertarian42:

Please read my other comment.

Im not opposee to amending the language. I was lamenting the fact that we dont really celebrate the holidays. :(
Well, maybe we should task someone to open a thread every time we get to a holiday period! :D

Maybe you, PWL!

Full support,

but let's keep it as Constitution Day, since the Bill of Rights is pretty much just a document with TNPers' rights. If anything it should be merged with the Constitution or at least be considered an offshoot of it, which it frankly is.

I'm totally not saying this because I'm American.

Syrixia:
If anything it should be merged with the Constitution or at least be considered an offshoot of it, which it frankly is.
The BOR is referenced as Article 1 in the Constitution. I suppose it could have been listed there but.. meh.

It requires a different threshold to amend, so it really does belong as a separate document. It's also the supreme document - it overrides the constitution, which is another reason it's incorrect to see it as merely an offshoot.

Full support, but we should change the name of the day. Democracy Day sounds like if you were to call an American a Stater. It's awkward yet it works. We should make it more sound.

How about LAW DAY?

The Bill of Right deserves its own day. The fact that the sponsor of the proposal that was defeated didn't handle the proposal very well is not a reason to try again. I think cramming all three documents onto one day is disrespectful of the Bill of Rights so I will be voting against this proposal.

I think there is plenty of room in one day to celebrate three documents. Indeed, since we've been having trouble getting celebrations going recently, it might be helpful to have a bit more to celebrate on a given day.

Also, I don't think one holiday celebrating multiple things inherently diminishes any of those things. I'm sure you wouldn't make the same argument about Remembrance Day, which celebrates all players who have left the region and the game.

Crushing Our Enemies:
I think there is plenty of room in one day to celebrate three documents. Indeed, since we've been having trouble getting celebrations going recently, it might be helpful to have a bit more to celebrate on a given day.

Also, I don't think one holiday celebrating multiple things inherently diminishes any of those things. I'm sure you wouldn't make the same argument about Remembrance Day, which celebrates all players who have left the region and the game.
I was going to say stuff, but CoE said it better.

Lord Nwahs:
This is now in formal debate for five days, after which a vote shall be scheduled.
Oh snap.

Formal debate ended like two days ago. This bill goes to vote now >.> <.<

So sorry ;~;

Back