r3naissanc3r: Ask Me Anything

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
del-seal.png
mowa-seal.png

r3naissanc3r: Ask Me Anything

Hi! I am r3naissanc3r, and I am the Delegate of The North Pacific. I am also the Minister of World Assembly Affairs, which is why I get to use two fancy seals above.

This is my AMA thread, and your chance to ask me anything you want. I'll try to respond as best as I can.

What do you most enjoy about being WA Delegate?

What do you most enjoy about being Minister of WA Affairs?

Do you like to gossip?

What I enjoy the most about being delegate is how it enables me to contribute in all areas of TNP, and interact with all of its members regardless of background and interests. This is something that you can also do to some extent without being delegate, but not as directly, as thoroughly, or with the same impact.

What I enjoy the most about being Minister of WA Affairs is the interaction with our WA nations and the interregional campaigning - when I get the chance to do the latter. I also enjoy the informal contests with friendly delegates to vote first and the thrill of stacking/stomping the largest vote in the game, but arguably that would go under my role as delegate, not minister.

I love to gossip! Both in RL and in NS, I gossip a lot and I enjoy it immensely. However, I like to think that I gossip responsibly. I can keep secrets and confidential information, and share information only as appropriate. I believe most of RL and NS associates acknowledge this. Maintaining such a degree of responsibility and finding similarly responsible gossiping partners is very important for preventing gossiping from turning into bitter infighting in your social circle.

What came first, the chicken, the egg, the redneck, Cerberus, or Peter Griffin?

Why do you hate freedom?

Is Beige your favorite color or favoritist color?

If you suddenly went rogue who whould you banject first? Romanoffia or SillyString?

Can you write me a brief poem describing your challenges as delegate?

What will you do when your term is over?

Who is your favorite gossip partner?

What is your favorite coffee?

How much of what has been accomplished over your term is due to your ministers and their ideas and their drive, and how much of it has been your ideas and your pushing them to succeed?

If you were not delegate, which ministry would you want to be minister of? If you could not be a minister of any ministry, what would you want to do?

What was the most unexpected bit of gossip you've heard over your career? Something that made you just say, "wow I never saw that coming" Names and dates can be changed to protect the guilty! :P

What important thing(s) have you accomplished as Delegate?

What is your vision for the future of TNP?

Why does MCM hate you?

Do you like puppies?

What is your favorite color colour?

Does RL experience influence your policies in TNP? How and why?

Do you like me?

How many woody woodpeckers would a woodpecker peck if a wood pecker could peck woody woodpeckers?

How do you say "The vending machine is broken, and I don't have any quarters. May I borrow your sledgehammer?" in Greek?

And finally,

Why?

Have you thought about editing the in game regions WFE (world factbook entry) to include not only the Del VD and top council members in the LOS, but to include a link to all Security Council members in game nations, as well as links to the Justices in game nation, the Speakers, and AGs? And ministers?

I know on the forum there is the government page, but not all TNPers are on the forum, and wouldnt it be nice for all tnpers in game to know who is representing them? (Also It might show there are more opportunities then one thought and get more game based players to join the forum)

Given you hold the single largest vote in the WA, what are your policy priorities for the coming term?

On a scale of extremely successful to superbly outstanding, how would you rate the achievements of WALL so far?

What particular shade of beige is your favorite beige? Names are preferred, but hexcodes accepted.

What color is actually your favorite color?

If you could snap your fingers and be delegate of any other region for a day, what region would you choose?

Also I have a question JUST for WA Minister r3n: What is the worst part about working for Delegate r3n? Is he terrible to you?

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Why do you hate freedom?
Because I'm an ebul imperialist.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Is Beige your favorite color or favoritist color?
I impose beige on my underlings to make them feel insignificant.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
If you suddenly went rogue who whould you banject first? Romanoffia or SillyString?
SillyString. It'd create the false impresion that the coup is not controlled by the IRCabal, and allow it to last longer.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Can you write me a brief poem describing your challenges as delegate?
No. Sorry, I have zero poetry skills. Would prose work?

PaulWallLibertarian42:
What will you do when your term is over?
Honestly, I don't know yet. There are two main reasons for that: First, I am not certain what my RL will look like - my current mid-term horizon of RL plans happens to end at around the same time my term ends. Second, the combined heavy loads from RL and NS are quickly making me very fatigued, and I need to balance my desire to contribute to the region from other roles with the need to rest.

SillyString:
Who is your favorite gossip partner?
In NS? It's hard to pick one, I have plenty I enjoy a lot. It also varies with time. Currently, I'd say mcm - our cooperation as the Delegate-MoFA couple for almost a year now means gossiping a lot.

sillystring:
What is your favorite coffee?
Quad-shot latte. If you're asking about specific blend of espresso, that's hard to answer as at least here in the US I haven't investigated the blends themselves. From local cafes, I'd say whatever blend Crema Cafe uses.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Do those two large seals up there make you feel better about the smaller things in your life?
They're certainly useful compensation for other shortcomings in life, real or NS.

plembobria:
What important thing(s) have you accomplished as Delegate?
I'll leave that answer for my end of term speech. Trust me, I have a big one planned ;) .

plembobria:
Why does MCM hate you?
Love quadrangles have that effect.

plembobria:
Do you like puppies?
No. Not a big fan of pets in general.

plembobria:
What is your favorite color colour?
Blue, by far.

plembobria:
Does RL experience influence your policies in TNP? How and why?
It does, in several ways.

The skills I use in game are the skills I have honed in RL. I believe that I am a good presenter and effective writer, and that I am good collaborator. I also consider myself a fairly logical person. All these are to a large extent the result of the training I have received in my profession, which emphasizes these aspects. I like systematic and evidence-based approaches to problem solving - again a result of my RL job.

A big part of my NS career has been writing laws and devising government systems. My preferences for these are informed by the laws and governments I have experience with in real life. However, this also works the reverse way: NS has been very helpful in terms of exposing me to cultures, political or otherwise, that I had very little if any contant with in RL, and helping me to develop insights into them and appreciate them.

plembobria:
Do you like me?
I do. You are a consistent contributor to several aspects of the region, and seem eager to explore, learn about, and contribute to more.

plembobria:
How many woody woodpeckers would a woodpecker peck if a wood pecker could peck woody woodpeckers?
-- compiler error: maximum number of iterations to track exceeded --

plembobria:
How do you say "The vending machine is broken, and I don't have any quarters. May I borrow your sledgehammer?" in Greek?
"?? ???????? ?? ?? ??????? ????? ????????, ??? ??? ??? ??????? ???????. ????? ?? ???????? ?? ?????????? ???;"

Note that "???????" technically means dimes, but the exact equivalent, "?????????????", is not something you would hear often in spoken Greek. Note also that I didn't use greek quotation marks, as I can't find how to input that character on my macbook keyboard...

plembobria:
Why not!

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Have you thought about editing the in game regions WFE (world factbook entry) to include not only the Del VD and top council members in the LOS, but to include a link to all Security Council members in game nations, as well as links to the Justices in game nation, the Speakers, and AGs? And ministers?

I know on the forum there is the government page, but not all TNPers are on the forum, and wouldnt it be nice for all tnpers in game to know who is representing them? (Also It might show there are more opportunities then one thought and get more game based players to join the forum)
I considered linking a list to SC members, and decided against it. It will result in people not bothering to click the dispatch and therefore not endorsing anyone.

The kind of information you describe is much more effectively provided through dispatches. I promised in my campaign that I will create an organized "regional handbook" dispatch to contain all this information. I have not forgotten about this promise. It is a project I have undertaken personally, so it's moving slow, but it will be done before the end of the term. In the meantime, we rely primarily on heavy telegramming, individual dispatches, and plenty of RMB posts to get this information out - with good results.

I have left the following questions for later tonight. The first few are because answering them appropriately will take time, and I need to run for dinner and do some RL chores before everything closes. The last one is because I need to think of one that was surprising and I can actually disclose :P .

sillystring:
How much of what has been accomplished over your term is due to your ministers and their ideas and their drive, and how much of it has been your ideas and your pushing them to succeed?
sillystring:
If you were not delegate, which ministry would you want to be minister of? If you could not be a minister of any ministry, what would you want to do?
Malvad:
Critique the cabinet.
plembobria:
punk d:
What was the most unexpected bit of gossip you've heard over your career? Something that made you just say, "wow I never saw that coming" Names and dates can be changed to protect the guilty! :P

EDIT: Also these that came in while I was typing the above.

Acoustic Siberia:
Given you hold the single largest vote in the WA, what are your policy priorities for the coming term?

On a scale of extremely successful to superbly outstanding, how would you rate the achievements of WALL so far?
SillyString:
What particular shade of beige is your favorite beige? Names are preferred, but hexcodes accepted.

If you could snap your fingers and be delegate of any other region for a day, what region would you choose?

Also I have a question JUST for WA Minister r3n: What is the worst part about working for Delegate r3n? Is he terrible to you?

Lol I'll try to sneak in a few question because silliness :3

1) Which office that you have yet to hold in TNP would you like to dabble with?
2) Which is the best piece of legislation you think you have passed in TNP?
3) Anything in your Delegacy so far that you've regretted?

Do you agree with the assessment that I provided the other day that Penguins are like frozen Pigeons, or the one NES used, where he said that they were more like frozen rats?

sillystring:
I think it's a healthy mix. If you look at my two campaigns, I think most of my targets, both in terms of general objectives and itemized promises, have been implemented (there are some exceptions, discussed below). That's a sign that my ideas are strongly present in the Cabinet's overall direction.

At the same time, there are quite a few initiatives that have come up during the term that were not present in my campaign. And in other cases, the implementation of campaign items has been quite different than what I originally expected. These are all the Ministers', and also the Executive Staff's, individual drive.

sillystring:
Hmm, hard question. As I said in another answer, the thing I enjoy the most as delegate is that I can contribute everywhere. I think I would select the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. From executive areas, FA is the one that I've consistently enjoyed the most throughout my nine years in the game. Moreover, because of the nature of the job, it is a Ministry where the Minister plays a very dominant role.

Outside the Cabinet, I'd like to serve as Vice Delegate at some point. This is primarily because I believe the SC is currently underutilized - we can make a lot more out of the institution and its members.

Malvad:
Critique the cabinet.
I won't answer this question, because I'd like to reserve it this critique for my end-of-term speech. I already promised one above.

plembobria:
I like to think of TNP as the region of good superlatives. We have a decent collection of indisputable ones in terms of game stats - largest population, most WA nations, largest endorsement count, largest endorsement rate. I believe we have a few in terms of forum community aspects (or if not the superlative, we have the "one of the" versions): most active legislature, most active forum, most democratic, strongest military, most diplomatically credible, most open.

What I want to see TNP have is the overwhelmingly largest collection of good superlatives among all NS regions. And I think we're making steady progress towards that point.

punk d:
There was a certain past delegate-hopeful/delegate-elect (not 100% which off the top of my head) in another region who I later learned was a plant from an enemy region. That person eventually became inactive before assuming the delegacy, so nothing happened publicly. But it was quite surprising to hear, based on my own knowledge of that person.

I'm sorry, I know that's the generic scenario of like every second gossip, but I can't get into more details :P .

Acoustic Siberia:
I am not going to drastically change how the Ministry operates in the remaining of the term (not the coming term, as I cannot run for another). My focus is going to remain on making sure that the impact of TNP's vote is maximized by voting early and rallying the NP national vote, and by providing venues for discussion, analysis, and voting on the forum.

There is another area that I want to focus on in the remaining month, which I discuss in your next question.

Acoustic Siberia:
I am not sure if the scale is an accident or an attempt at sarcasm. Regardless, I would call it mediocre. The WALL has been useful for bringing WA discussion and expertise to the forum. This includes yours and Mousebumples' contributions, and of course the WA 101 course. It has also been very useful for coordinating voting and campaigning on items where there is agreement between member regions.

Some other important aspects of the WALL, such as public advertising and recommendation drafting, have not happened successfully. This is in part because of what seem to be fundamental disagreements between ambassadors on several of these aspects; and in part because other policy items, unrelated to the WALL or WA in general, have been taking away the ambassadors' time. There is still a month in the term, and I am going to focus on addressing these issues, so that these aspects of the WALL are implemented successfully.

SillyString:
I like the more white-ish ones. From those listed in the Wikipedia article, "cosmic latte" is my favorite.

SillyString:
Didn't I answer this above? In any event, it's blue.

SillyString:
10KI. I know, what an unsurprising answer (unless you were expecting me to say NPO :P ). It's not just the number of endorsements. For me the main attraction is the very unique culture of 10KI that I have never had any contact with. Being delegate would help me explore that (though in the scenario you describe, I'd probably be forcibly and immediately removed :P ).

SillyString:
Delegate r3n is such a meanie to me :( . He forces me to write everything for him and never gives me any credit.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Why were you at Toys R' Us instead of Delegating and doin' your job?

Woops, you caught me. I swear, I was there for very srs bsns :angel: .

#r3call2014

SillyString:
Please opine on Dmitri!
I wrote him a full letter, two whole handwritten pages! You still need details? :P

Lord Nwahs:
1) Which office that you have yet to hold in TNP would you like to dabble with?
I mentioned above that I'd like to serve as VD at some point, to do some development (not software development) work in the SC.

Lord Nwahs:

Lord Nwahs:
3) Anything in your Delegacy so far that you've regretted?
Not changing the format of TNL sooner. I think the rebranding and content refocus of the newspaper have both been successful. But we have failed in terms of frequency. In my second campaign, I mentioned that I believe this is because of the long-issue format, and that I would be addressing this by changing the format to single-article publications. I believe I have correctly identifyed the cause, but I have yet to implement the change. At this point, I do not think it is going to happen before the end of the term, so that campaign promise won't be delivered upon.

SillyString:
What type of penguin is your favorite? Which would you most like to eat for dinner?
Probably the Emperor Penguin (boring, I know, but that's my inner imperialist). I love eating penguin christmas cookies for dinner, and for any other meal for that matter.
mcmasterdonia:
Do you agree with the assessment that I provided the other day that Penguins are like frozen Pigeons, or the one NES used, where he said that they were more like frozen rats?
Allow me to offer one of my own. I'd say penguins are the lions of Antarctica.

You still haven't answered my second question :(

Bonus: What games do you play outside of NS?

Lord Nwahs:
You still haven't answered my second question :(
Woops! Apologies, I missed it in the huge list.

Lord Nwahs:
If the Citizenship Bill passes, it'll be that one. Among things already enacted, and assuming we exclude treaties and include procedures, I'd say the RA rule rewrite. I can't claim sole credit for that, Asta and COE made tremendous contributions to it.

Olvern:
Bonus: What games do you play outside of NS?
Nowadays none. I used to play some Age of Empires 2, often with other NSers. About two years ago, I occasionally (like, once every three months) played some Heroes of Might and Magic 3. And that's about it for the last 6 years.

My free time unfortunately is much more limited than it used to be back in summer. But beyond that, you may recall that last time we tried to play, I couldn't get my AoE laptop to work.

r3naissanc3r:
Malvad:
Critique the cabinet.
I won't answer this question, because I'd like to reserve it this critique for my end-of-term speech. I already promised one above.
Would you be willing to share what you think is the single best thing about each of your ministers? :)

If you had to be NS married to a single other GCR delegate, which GCR delegate would you want it to be, and why?

Sorry for the late replies.
SillyString:
Would you be willing to share what you think is the single best thing about each of your ministers? :)
mcm: Trusty and juicy gossip partner (very important for FA ;) ).
Gladio: Extremely effective.
Malvad: Imaginative and creative.
Tomb: Very cordial, gentle, and open-minded.
punk d: Argumentative.
COE: Perfectionist.

I think these characteristics are good matches for their respective Ministries, which is why I picked them and why they've been so good ;) .

SillyString:
If you had to be NS married to a single other GCR delegate, which GCR delegate would you want it to be, and why?
I guess Rach. We've had the same NS husband, so we can sympathize with each other.
PaulWallLibertarian42:
Why am I up soo late when I have to be up in 5 hours to be ready to be at work by 8AM?
NS is addictive.

How does it feel, knowing COE has more seals than you do?

On a scale of 1 to 10, what did you have for breakfast?

SillyString:
How does it feel, knowing COE has more seals than you do?
It's part of a well-designed conspiracy to have COE replace me as delegate.

It's frankly outrageous. Unacceptable. I feel betrayed. I think I have no choice left. I resign in protest.

The above statement is in jest and has no legal force. It may not interpreted as an official resignation of r3naissanc3r from the office of the delegate.

SillyString:
On a scale of 1 to 10, what did you have for breakfast?
8. Granola yoghurt, a fruit cup, and my favorite 4-shot latte. The fruitcup was below average though, hence the 8.

If you were to have to resign for real before the end of your term, would you feel safe with the acting delegacy falling to such a notorious, tricksy raider?

Back