Inaugural Address to the DU

Fellow members of the Democratic Union,

Thank you so much for electing me as the Chairman of the Democratic Union. I am honored and humbled. It is worth noting that during this past election cycle, we had all but two members vote. I think that this shows the potential we have for activity. I would like to see this kind of activity throughout the Democratic Union, and not just when we are about to elect a new chairman.

Over the next few days, I will be conferring with the new Deputy chair, McMasterdonia, about the best way to go about this. As promised in my election campaign, we will be hosting regular meetings on a weekly basis. I have established a channel on IRC #DemocraticUnion which I hope to fulfill this role.

It is only a matter of time before we become challenged by another organization in the North Pacific. To prepare for this event, I hope to establish a secure part of this Democratic Union forum for sensitive discussions. I would also urge all members to weigh in on the Collective Defense Agreement which I have suggested in order to increase our military strength. This amendment can be found HERE.

Furthermore, it is extremely important to me to maintain the strength of the Democratic Union for what it should be. As of right now, the decision to admit or deny nations rests solely on the Chairman. I see this as problematic, and as a policy, I am going to allow member nations to weigh in on who should be admitted and who should not. Debate on the admission of a member nation will last for three days, and should be relegated to a separate voting floor, which will be established. At the end of those three days, the membership request will be submitted to me for final approval. I will be permitted to accept or reject the DU's recommendation, except in cases of a 2/3rds majority for admission. What I intend to do with this policy can be clarified in my recommended amendment, found HERE.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to serving as your Chairman. Any questions can be directed to me in this thread, through PM, or on IRC.

coat_of_arms.png

-A MESSAGE FROM THE PRIME MINISTER OF THE REPUBLIC OF SYRIXIA-

The Republic of Syrixia applauds and welcomes Scandigrad as the new Chairman State of the Democratic Union.

We hope for future cooperation with Scandigrad, and we wish Scandigrad an illustrious chairmanship.

Sincerely,
John Sirus, Prime Minister, Syrixia​

Back