Off topic split from flemingovian hymn book

Romanoffia

Garde à l'eau!
You really need to write some original music for your lyrics.

Perhaps an opera called Die Flemingdämmerung as a tribute to Richard Wagner. :lol:

We've got a few musicians on the board who could probably score and opera. I'm quite skilled at doing arranging and orchestration too.

Roman is good at....

misc-all-the-things-l-1-1024x768.jpg

Romanoffia:
We've got a few musicians on the board who could probably score and opera. I'm quite skilled at doing arranging and orchestration too.
Roman is quite the polymath, isn't he?

flemingovia:
Romanoffia:
Roman is quite the polymath, isn't he?
Reading music is a simple skill. Like reading. You should learn to do it sometime. Reading music, that is.

Reading music is easy, but orchestration and arranging requires a relatively in-depth knowledge of music theory that the vast majority of people don't know off-hand. Have you arranged anything for the violin?

Yrkidding:
Reading music is easy, but orchestration and arranging requires a relatively in-depth knowledge of music theory that the vast majority of people don't know off-hand. Have you arranged anything for the violin?
Romanoffia's many accomplishments are well known in TNP. There can be few people who have packed so much into one lifetime.

Yrkidding:

The music theory point you make is interesting. If asked to arrange for an orchestra, I tend to steal from someone else's theory, to be honest. I'm partial to Elgar, Holst, Wagner, Tschiakowsky, and Clementi, or whomever best suits what I want. It's just a side-line and not much more. Philip Glass sucks, and should be reported to the Department of Aesthetic Deletions. :P

One of my favourite projects some years ago was to replace the violin in a number of Vivialdi pieces with either a lute or an electric guitar, or replacing an electric guitar with an electric violin (with all the buzzers and bells used on electric guitars). I like the more technical aspects of the actual production of music. It goes a bit beyond simple transposition and interpretation and transcends theory when actual performance is involved.

My main instrument is guitar, but I play any number of instruments, including violin, in various styles. I still occasionally arrange music for rock bands and do some studio work every once in a while as a hobby.

If you are a fan of violins, you will love this one -

I had someone who played an electrified violin who wanted to get real 'feedback' from the amplifier, but they just couldn't get what they wanted. They tried all manner of digital effects and still couldn't get the right tone and timbre they wanted. So, I came up with an interesting solution that I did with an electric guitar back in the early 80's:

I took one of those 'Solar Cigarette Lighters' (essentially a polished metal parabolic dish about 4 inches across), taped it to the back of the solid body electric violin and ran a wire to the ground side of the pickups (humbuckers). Then we hung a Carvin vacuum tube amplifier (into which the violin was run) above the violinist. Skipping over a lot of technical crap, we exploited the RF coming off the pickups so that my moving under the amplifier (which was oriented so the grids in the triode tubes were parallel to the parabolic dish) the violinist could produce various degrees and flavours of 'feedback'. This particular technique was experimented with by David Gilmour and Jimmy Page back in the late 60's-early 70's, but was quickly replaced by analogue foot-pedal effects and EchoPlex tape loopers.

flemingovia:
Yrkidding:
Romanoffia's many accomplishments are well known in TNP. There can be few people who have packed so much into one lifetime.

Hey, when I want to know how something is done, I study it and then apply it. You should try it some time. Oh, and I have been around for a long, long time. Being accomplished in one area or many areas is very easy if one applies one's mind properly. Something you should try some time.

FYI, most forum members would be floored if they knew Flem's RL accomplishments. But let's all just stop with the snark attacks, please.

Back