Bill of Rights Day

DD, I think a separate discussion would be in order. But can I suggest not calling it "crappy proposals day" because that would get shortened to "CP Day" which would give people the wrong idea.

Eluvatar:
JhonsJoe:
This holiday doesn't celebrate the adaptation of the BoR. It Celebrates the BoR itself.

Then perhaps the appropriate date would be the drafting of it: February 7th or 13th.
Oh god.
Not another date.

I think that April 6th is the appropriate day to celebrate the BoR for the freedoms it gives us. Don't you think?

Clearly they don't think so. That's why your insistence on pushing this to vote is inane. If you insist on one date without getting consensus, people will vote against what they see as the wrong date even if there's majority support for a holiday for the BoR.

Where a proposer is not listening, there is no point in debate.

I think it is time to vote on whatever JhonsJoe decides.

Excellent. April 5th is also "Lava Lamp Day", so we have a bona-fide way of celebrating the day too.

Let us plug in our lava lamps in celebration of this great event.

*image edited out*

Remember: Bills of Rights come and go, but lava lamps never go out of style.

I am conflicted about this bill. On the one hand, I do not see the need for a separate holiday for the Bill of Rights. On the other hand, an excuse to celebrate lava lamp day is not to be sneezed at.

I think, on balance, I shall vote against and introduce Lava Lamp day as a Flemingovian holiday.

Groove on, chicks.

SillyString:
On the other hand, it's loading fine on my android phone.

Its a superman lava lamp. :P
Android and Chrome have the same DNA, so I'm not surprised the image would work on those platforms. But it's never a good idea to assume that would be the case with other platforms and browsers.

JhonsJoe:
A new clause in Legal Code 'Section 7.2: Holidays' shall created and thus read:
14. The fifth of April shall be Bill of Rights Day, and shall commemorate the freedoms giving to all nations of the North Pacific by the regional Bill of Rights

I have to express some reservations about the bill as written.

1. "giving" is grammatically incorrect in this sentence.

2. I wouldn't consider the BoR to give rights -- I think it protects and/or enumerates them. In The North Pacific, it is my understanding that we subscribe to the doctrine of inalienable rights, at least to some extent. That means that at least some of the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights exist independently of it, and are worth fighting for even in its absence.

I would vote against any bill on this subject which introduces obvious grammatical errors into the legal code.

I would consider my vote on a bill which uses the verb 'to give' regarding the rights protected by the bill of rights carefully.

I would immensely prefer a verb such as "protect" than to "give" since the Bill of Rights was designed as protection against the excessive exercise of governmental power. Hopefully the author can accept that change before a vote opens.

JhonsJoe's premature movement into formal debate makes it impossible to make changes at this time, I'm afraid, if I understand the procedures correctly.

I hope this will be a lesson about the purpose and usefulness of a lengthy period of debate. We don't take changes to our laws lightly here, and vetting a bill for errors and poor word choice is an essential part of the process.

Crushing Our Enemies:
I'm coming around to the idea of combining commemoration of the Bill of Rights with Constitution Day. After all, the two go hand-in-hand, and (if observed) would likely have very similar celebrations. It makes sense to celebrate them together.
I agree with COE.

flemingovia:
Can we still have edits this far into formal debate, Mr Speaker?
Im not gonna speak for the speaker but. Its not really an edit, its just fixing a typo, the main purpose and text of the bill is the same.

JhonsJoe:
flemingovia:
Can we still have edits this far into formal debate, Mr Speaker?
Im not gonna speak for the speaker but. Its not really an edit, its just fixing a typo, the main purpose and text of the bill is the same.
I agree, but it sets a nasty precedent if we are not careful.

Formal debate ended a few moments ago. Essentially JhonsJoe's edits came in in the nick of time.

Voting will begin when voting ends on one of the two legislative bills currently about to go to vote.

Oh Damn.

I'm gonna ask the speaker to fix that before this goes to vote. Firstly, a clause without a period cannot be put in the Legal Code. Secondly, adding a period would not change the text in any way. I hope you can do this Mr. Speaker. if not, I am going to cancel a vote.

Well, in theory it can't be edited any more.

What you can do is to cancel vote, edit the thing, and call for formal debate again. I'll shorten formal debate to like 1 day or something since the edit really isn't substantial, and everything will be fine.

Anyway, for those asking why I haven't put the decorations bill and the civil trials bill up to vote yet, the official excuse is founder's day. Go have some fun!

This bill is in formal debate on the request of the bill proposer. It will be in formal debate for a shortened period of one day.

Back