Invasion of Ixelonia

Egalotir

TNPer
I come to the Democratic Union with grave news. Ixelonia has been invaded by Syrixia and Democratic Republic of Tomb. A genocide of civilians and rebels is already underway. As we hold ourselves to be a union that defends democracy, Egalotir has taken upon itself to warn the invader nations to ease all activities and exit the regions, or face grave economic and military reparations. I urge the DU to take this matter seriously and aid Egalotir and Ixelonia in reaching peaceful negotiations, and ensure that no more atrocities are committed.

Thank you,
Mattheus Badaloni

I have also been concerned about this situation. Syrixia doesn't appear to be concerned about how the rebels are being handled, and Plemrobria never stated a reason for declaring war. Both sides need to be controlled to ensure stability and security. The P.o.L. will assist Egalotir in this matter.

mcmasterdonia:
Looks to me like a puppet state being invaded by their motherland. Someone needs to keep the rogue colony in order.
Agreed, but the DU needs to intervene both parties. It is acceptable to discipline a group of rebels through diplomatic means or even a small military force. Complete annihilation is something completely different. Therefore it will be the DU's job to provide that order if neither parties back down.

I was notified of the arising tensions a few days ago, but never thought much of it. A full on invasion and genocide is something that Dalies cannot stand for. Dalies wishes for the situation to be resolved peacefully, yet also wishes for those who are accountable to be tried for their actions. Dalies strongly urges fellow Democratic Union members to do the same. Let us get to the bottom of this immediately.

I would like to see the rebel leaders who began a full scale rebellion without attempt at a democratic, peaceful process for change. I also want to hold all military/political leaders of the aggressive nations responsible for the actions and commands given to commit atrocities against the civilian population. These men must be brought to justice.

I don't know if we can hold a trial as of yet. The DU needs to establish a court system and a list of protocols that need to be followed if this ever happens again. I'll contact Malvad and see if we can set up a meeting that will try to establish a basic legal system (like the ICC) and hopefully military protocols.

I mention military because I think throwing 6 million troops can only be so effective (these are ment to be separate things though).

Possibly when the meeting is over a proper trial can be conducted.

I am curious as to why this is the concern of the Democratic Union at all. Furthermore, what can we actually do? We have no way of justifying an attack, since (correct me if I'm wrong) but none of our member states were attacked. Plembobria has not been accepted, and even if it had, they acted upon their own accord, and therefore any counterattack is, in my opinion, outside the jurisdiction of any collective defense agreement that exists de facto. It is worth noting that we have not even drafted legislation regarding a collective defense agreement.

I see no reason for the DU to make any real move on this, since we do not even have our own house in order yet. We can't say anything with weight. The Commonwealth will also not be taking action, since we have no capacity to launch a significant military strike worthwhile on the belligerents.

The Commonwealth is appalled though, by the seemingly indiscriminate use of a thermonuclear weapon in this scenario, and I would like to note that that is the event that we should really be discussing. (OOC: And the amount of godmodding and one liners, but that's a different story /rp rant)

On another note, on who's authority did the Democratic Union state their intent to get involved? I, nor the people and service members of Scandigrad, appreciate being used as pawns. Was there a vote I missed? Can any nation speak on behalf of the entire Democratic Union?

Doesn't sound very "democratic" to me.

Since there isn't a formal protocol Legington acted on its own accord. Neither Egalito, Alamo nor Legington represents the DU in this conflict. There wasn't a vote because there isn't a protocol which states the DU can get involved directly, so we ourselves needed to do something.

It doesn't matter if the DU members are directly involved. While Syrixia did give a justification, acts of genocide are unacceptable methods. As members of the DU we have sworn an oath to protect peace and freedom. War is inevitable and will happen, but when a rebellion is being 'put down' in such a matter it is our responsibility to prevent it, regardless of who is committing it and what is being affected.

It should be pointed out that the Principality of Legington is not favouring any of the parties. Legington is not defending Plembobria or committing a full-out invasion of Syrixia. We are, in simplest terms, our own party in this conflict. That is why a court system and military protocol needs to be established so that wars like this can be prevented.

(OOC:
  • Yeah, nothing official really happened. Egalotir, mralexgamingstrategy and I just did that on our own whim, this post was really Egalitor's efforts to get the DU involved.
  • While Plembobria did get god-modded into sending out the bomb, I agree with you that WMDs and other military weapons should be discussed. If I get the go ahead from Malvad we can start discussing military regulations before we go into the legal system stuff. :) )

Fenichi:
Neither Egalito, Alamo nor Legington represents the DU in this conflict.

Oh really?

Fenichi:
As a member of the Democratic Union and the North Pacific, it is the Principality of Legington's responsibility to ensure peace and stability within the region, all of which is clearly at risk due to this conflict.
mrxgamingstrategy:
The Confederacy of The United Federation of Alamo [bgcolor=#fe0]supports the actions[/bgcolor] of The Democratic Union.
Plembobria:
The Kingdom of Plembobria intends to [bgcolor=#fe0]follow the wishes[/bgcolor] of the Democratic Union
Tomb:
The Democratic Union [bgcolor=#fe0]stepped in[/bgcolor] just as we were close to capturing the region

Other nations seem to think that you do. Equally appalling is that those nations are also members of the Democratic Union, or aspiring members of said union. Whether you intended to or not, people seem to be thinking that your nation is speaking on behalf of this Union just by invoking the name. This shouldn't be like Los Angeles or Washington DC where dropping names gives you power and authority. I won't tolerate it.

What you said is not in line with the views of the Democratic Union, because we don't have any. The third surprising thing with this whole international clusterfuck is that they bowed to an organization with no structure and no legal binding.

I implore the members of this union to consider their words, and their threats, carefully.

...an organization with no structure and no legal binding...

Good. Then you understand how important having these meetings will be.

Also, It is not my responsibility to make people think. The majority does not mean it's right.

Scandigrad is absolutely right. My goal was to have some of you aid me in helping out a peace process and putting a stop the killing. I didn't intend for the DU as a whole to be involved, and for the miscommunication on my part, I apologize.

From here, since they stood down I guess it is best to let them sort the peace treaty, and just make sure no violence ensues. As for the DU, I believe that writing a basis for how to go about situations like this, such as a joint collective defense agreement. For those that were aggressors who seek to join the DU, I believe that a long talk about letting them join needs to be addressed.

My country's goals are to hold up the peace and democracy of the North Pacific, and when I acted, I acted on behalf of my country, and did not intend for the DU to get involved as it did. I suppose it is a sort of wake up call for this Union to began reparations for official procedures for when conflicts arise.

Thank you,
Mattheus Badaloni

I'm currently drafting a proposal to increase the productivity while staying within parameters set by the collective assembly. This can ensure that a system of checks and balances are in place to make sure that the Democratic Union stays within its jurisdiction.

Back