plembobria

TNPer
-
-
Decorations Act:
The following shall be appended to Section 7 of the Legal Code:
Section 7.4: Decorations

• Delegate's Civilian Service Medal

The Delegate may award a citizen in the North Pacific the Delegate's Civilian Service Medal for commendable service to the region and its nations.
  • Regional Assembly Recognition Medal

The Regional Assembly may vote to award the Regional Assembly Recognition to a nation in the region for commendable service to the region and its nations, or any other honor which the Regional Assembly shall think proper to recognize.
  • NPA Distinguished service medal

The Minister of Defense may award a member of the North Pacific Army for exceptional service to the North Pacific army in wartime.
  • Other medals

The Delegate may create and award decorations not mentioned in this section at their discretion.

The head of each executive ministry may create and award decorations not mentioned in this section to members of their respective ministries at their discretion.

We sort of have stuff like this already. There is nothing stopping the delegate from awarding whatever medals, badges, titles and ribbons they wish.

I am not sure legislation is needed, or desirable.

:agree:

In the past, nations have been known to award other nations medals, badges, honours, titles of nobility and the occasionally entertaining epithet.

flemingovia:
We are holding out for the holiday season. Then we can have Christmas Decorations.

Boom Boom.
LOL.

But seriously, I'm gonna take a neutral approach here. I think organization of the system (Perhaps a page displaying all the awards called the TNP Trophy Case) is in order, but yes, there already are awards established.

It is totally unnecessary legislation.

In the past, TNP would hold annual ceremonies to recognize those deserving in various categories, but that fell out of use. There is nothing stopping the current officeholders from reviving the ceremonies if they wish, without the need for legislation.

flemingovia:
We are holding out for the holiday season. Then we can have Christmas Decorations.

Boom Boom.
I think a nice Christmas Tree in the Agora and a Flemingovian Nativity Scene constructed from Legos in the Temple Courts would be really good decorations.

Grosseschnauzer:

In the past, TNP would hold annual ceremonies to recognize those deserving in various categories, but that fell out of use. There is nothing stopping the current officeholders from reviving the ceremonies if they wish, without the need for legislation.
Does NOT needing a legislation means a discussion about CREATING one can't happen? :p

Legalizing what is already legal is not the business we should be getting into. Our legal code would be miles long.

Elegarth:
Grosseschnauzer:

Does NOT needing a legislation means a discussion about CREATING one can't happen? :p
I think you're mistaking participating in a discussion for an attempt to silence it.

Yes, let's add a section to Chapter 7 (cultural declarations) mandating the use of the metric system. I'm sure that will be universally popular. :w00t:

plembobria:
I move for a vote. Kaboom-boom!
Oops, didn't notice this.

This bill is now in formal debate for four days (I count the last day retroactively), after which a vote will be scheduled.

However, I'd highly recommend that the bill specifically specifies what it's actually going to do in amending the Legal Code or any legal document for that matter.

I think at this point, it is a non-legislative proposal affirming the ability of the delegate, RA, and NPA to do the things it suggests. It doesn't propose to add, delete, or amend any law or legal document, technically.

Crushing Our Enemies:
I think at this point, it is a non-legislative proposal affirming the ability of the delegate, RA, and NPA to do the things it suggests. It doesn't propose to add, delete, or amend any law or legal document, technically.
In that case it should be voted upon as such, no?

I'm currently assuming that Plembobria's intention is still to amend the legal code.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Legalizing what is already legal is not the business we should be getting into. Our legal code would be miles long.

Elegarth:
Grosseschnauzer:

I think you're mistaking participating in a discussion for an attempt to silence it.
I meant it otherwise, if you understood it that way, I apologize.

Formal debate has ended. This bill will be put to vote for three days (excluding the Creation Day holiday) in two days time.

For the record, I intend to create a series of awards given by the Delegate before the end of the term, regardless of the outcome of the vote. While I would not be against simple legislation reasserting the Delegate's powers to create such awards, I do not consider it necessary legislation.

Lord Nwahs:
Formal debate has ended. This bill will be put to vote for three days (excluding the Creation Day holiday) in two days time.
What exactly are we voting on, again?

That this has gone through formal debate and not a motion/second process indicates that this is legislative, but the original author has provided no actual proposal to work with. Where would this amendment go in the Legal Code? Or would it be the Constitution? Is this a non-binding suggestion that does not change the law?

I strongly urge the speaker not to put this to vote until (and unless) the original author clarifies the intent and placement of this bill.

plembobria:
I intend to amend the legal code. My apologies for my silence on this matter.
Next time, please make sure you clarify HOW you're going to amend said code. I think the concerns of the other members are valid, so I'm going to not allow this to go on vote any further. I recommend Plembobria to consider amending the language of their proposal in such a way that is not going to mess up the legal code.

r3naissanc3r:
For the record, I intend to create a series of awards given by the Delegate before the end of the term, regardless of the outcome of the vote. While I would not be against simple legislation reasserting the Delegate's powers to create such awards, I do not consider it necessary legislation.
I will only support your plan if you give me the official title of "Right Perfect Bastard". (But everyone already knows that about me, so it would be redundant.) :lol:

I'm not sure on legislating for the sake of legislating. The three awards you've listed do not give any clauses to allow the Delegate to create any of their own to award to citizens in service of the government.

Does that mean the Delegate would not be able to create any awards and is limited to those listed? How would awards created and awarded by the Delegate be treated under the legal code? Would creating them be a violation of the legal code? Could we impeach the delegate for creating an award for the Most Active Diplomat in TNP's Diplomatic Corps that isn't listed in the bill?

What about if Flemingovia was given an award to recognise his service to regional culture? I don't see that listed up there. What would happen to the delegate who awarded it, and the recipient? Would they face conspiracy charges? *wanders off back to his corner*

I will most likely be voting nay on this bill. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, let's just say if it ain't broke don't break it. There's lots of ways to improve fully functional things - this isn't one of them.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Well, let's just say if it ain't broke don't break it. There's lots of ways to improve fully functional things - this isn't one of them.
If it works, don't fix it; it it doesn't, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

The government that governs best governs least.

That philosophy is not what gave us airplanes. "Transportation is working just fine, no need to create better ways of getting from one place to another."

Lord Ravenclaw:
I'm not sure on legislating for the sake of legislating. The three awards you've listed do not give any clauses to allow the Delegate to create any of their own to award to citizens in service of the government.

Does that mean the Delegate would not be able to create any awards and is limited to those listed? How would awards created and awarded by the Delegate be treated under the legal code? Would creating them be a violation of the legal code? Could we impeach the delegate for creating an award for the Most Active Diplomat in TNP's Diplomatic Corps that isn't listed in the bill?

What about if Flemingovia was given an award to recognise his service to regional culture? I don't see that listed up there. What would happen to the delegate who awarded it, and the recipient? Would they face conspiracy charges? *wanders off back to his corner*

I will most likely be voting nay on this bill. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Your concerns are valid, Lord Ravenclaw. I'm amending this bill.

Back