Recommendation drafting: Repeal "Reproductive Freedoms"

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
Repeal "Reproductive Freedoms"

Category: Repeal | Resolution: GA#286 | Proposed by: Omigodtheyclonedkenny | Resolution link | World Assembly forum thread

Description: WA General Assembly Resolution #286: Reproductive Freedoms (Category: Human Rights; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: The World Assembly,

Acknowledging the importance of protecting the individual right to reproductive choice on an international level,

Agreeing that legislation on such a sensitive and controversial subject should affirm essential rights while at the same time providing for a modicum of reasonable restrictions to prevent abuse and assure the safety of all those involved,

Regretting that Resolution #286: Reproductive Freedoms falls short in this regard,

Noting that the resolution, by the author's own admission, compels member states to legalize abortion at any point in a patient's pregnancy, even into the late term,

Contending that Reproductive Freedoms' across-the-board legalization of abortion, with few allowances for nations to regulate the practice, and with little regard for preventing abusive cultural customs such as forced abortions or gender-selective abortions, exposes the irresponsible manner in which the legislation was crafted,

Objecting to the fact that the resolution ignores relevant concerns about reducing the need for abortion, in that it forbids "impediments" to abortion-on-demand, which could include even medical counseling about alternatives to abortion,

Expressing its concern that had the voters known just how radical and extreme the measures of this resolution were, it would not have passed,

Seeking consensus on a more moderate reproductive-rights resolution,

Hereby repeals Resolution #286: Reproductive Freedoms.

That's a biggie. What do you guys think?

As I said in the voting thread, I am personally strongly against the repeal. But I would like to also hear your own opinions.

Sorry for being late. I absolutely think this must be passed. As a pro-choice liberal who generally leans IntFed, even I recognize that GAR#286 covers an issue that is not of international scope. Furthermore, the resolution is so partisan in nature that it prevents, from an IC perspective, many, many nations from being able to reconcile their nation's ethical system with bona fide efforts by such nations to participate an the World Assembly. And if that's not enough, it legalizes abortion right up until the fetus has been birthed, and prevents future legislation against sex-selective abortion. GAR#286 is truly an awful resolution and this is a rare opportunity to rid it from our presence forever.

Back