The Scottish Referendum

mcmasterdonia:
A federal system would probably work best, aye. Like what Australia uses. I say Australia instead of the USA, because we have a constitutional monarchy system.

Obviously you would not require Governors for each state, with the royal family living there.
Interesting point about Australian v.s US Federal Systems.

In all reality, the Aussie system is more akin to what the US originally had in the Articles of Confederation ("Co-ordinate Federalism); then shifted in the 1920's to something more akin to the US Constitution of 1789 (Co-operative Federalism). What makes the Australian Federal System very interesting is the fact that it is constructed within the defining structures of a Constitutional Monarchy. It's almost a commonwealth within a commonwealth for lack of a better description.

The Australians have gone a bit further than the US in terms that Australia's Federal System is today somewhat of a "Co-ordinative" in which the individual 'States' have substantially more sovereignty than individual US 'States' do in comparison. What the US has now is a "Coercive" Federal System in which the federal government has robbed individual states or their sovereignty in a manner which flies in the face of several Articles and Amendments to the US Constitution (or, at least the US Federal Government is attempting to do so), resulting in the gradual abolition of a Federal System in favour of a Centralised "Authoritarian Democracy" in the vein of a "Peoples Republic" like the old Soviet Union.

The UK would better look towards more of an Australian model than a US model.

Note to Flemingovia concerning the term "Whitehall":

I used the term "Whitehall Street" in the vein of the old Victorian term to describe a colloquial term to describe the seat of government as a sweeping generality in the way the Americans use the term 'Washington' to describe the same. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehall.

Oh, and as for the 'survival' of the United Kingdom and the failure of Scots Independence...

[flash]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgd9nYqVz2s[/flash]​

And, yes, I also have a UK Passport. :P

Dual/Multiple Citizenship has it's used, eh, what? :hello:

I found the auld 'pipes and stepped outside to play a rendition of "Scotland the Timid."

Folks nearby thought I was strangling the cat.

>^,,^<
Alunya

Alunya:
I found the auld 'pipes and stepped outside to play a rendition of "Scotland the Timid."

Folks nearby thought I was strangling the cat.

>^,,^<
Alunya
"Och! Thars a cot bein' strangled by a lehdee w' a beard!"

[flash]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiOhgebgQ14[/flash]

You have to watch this, it's priceless. :lol:

(Mind you, I'm largely a Scot in my ancestry :P ).

Gracius Maximus:
It is my understanding that the last-minute promises made to Scotland in order to secure the vote (keeping the Bartlett formula, etc.) do not sit well with the majority of the English. Is this incorrect?

Also, now it seems there will be an upsurge in the drive for an English-only parliament, since Scottish MPs get to vote on English-only legislation at present.
flemingovia:
I think your analysis is pretty spot on. Westminster is good at devolving culpability, poor at devolving power. I am sure there will be a huge cry of "foul" in Scotland in a few months.

There is a lot of resentment in England this morning. Either we are a federation or a Union, and the essence of union ought to be fair equal treatment across the board. Increasingly it is not.
Lennart:
Is the UK turning into a federal state?

I live in England, I like England, and having Scots to vote about England-only matters, as Gracius Maximus said, when English MPs can't do the same in Scotland sounds less than fair to me.
I believe GM's understanding is correct, based on what newspaper report (I do not live in the UK, so I do not have first-hand experience).

It will be to see how devo-max works out. That's assuming that the tripartite coalition does not bail on its promise; given how prominently the measures were promised, I do not think it is politically viable that they be scrapped altogether, though I could imagine some of the promises not being implemented.

If all of devo-max is implemented as promised, then I think a few years down the road an English-only parliament will be inevitable. With devo-max implemented, one could make a serious case for a federal system for the UK, e.g., similar to Australia's (with the obvious difference in the role of the House of Lords).

Ironically, the official animal of Scotland, by law, is the Unicorn... Which makes is just a slightly less rarer breed that Scottish Independence. :P

2yv2dfb.jpg

Back