Metaphysics and the Regional Assembly of TNP

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
Since the time of George Berkeley in 1710, one of the most perplexing questions in metaphysics is how much existence depends on perception.

This is most famously expressed in the maxim "If a tree falls to the ground in the forest, but nobody is there to observe it, does it make a sound?"

Modern Quantum physics has taken and developed this debate to consider how much observation alters the state of that which is observed. Put another way, does observation affect outcome?

I was musing on this when I realised that our justices, no doubt unintentionally, had stumbled on a solution to the question that had eluded Einstein, Twiss, Mann and other great Metaphysicists.

|They have concluded that a member of the regional assembly may cease to exist, but their demise only actually happens when the Speaker of the Regional Assembly observes that it has happened. One can conclude, therefore, that our very existence depends, not on any objective criterion, but on our perception by the Speaker. If he sees us, we exist. If he does not see us, we do not exist.

Therefore the TNP universe, at least, conforms to a subjective idealist theory.

I conclude this lecture with two practical outworkings of this theory:

1. Existence is fragile. You may say "cogito ergo sum" but the reality is in fact, "Orator cogit ergo sum" - The speaker thinks, therefore I am.,

2. Don't piss off the Speaker. Ever. He can kill you with a thought.

In all honesty this was great. After spending eight months in a classroom doesn't compare to what I read in eight minutes.

Great job!

flemingovia:
Since the time of George Berkeley in 1710, one of the most perplexing questions in metaphysics is how much existence depends on perception.

This is most famously expressed in the maxim "If a tree falls to the ground in the forest, but nobody is there to observe it, does it make a sound?"

Modern Quantum physics has taken and developed this debate to consider how much observation alters the state of that which is observed. Put another way, does observation affect outcome?

I was musing on this when I realised that our justices, no doubt unintentionally, had stumbled on a solution to the question that had eluded Einstein, Twiss, Mann and other great Metaphysicists.

|They have concluded that a member of the regional assembly may cease to exist, but their demise only actually happens when the Speaker of the Regional Assembly observes that it has happened. One can conclude, therefore, that our very existence depends, not on any objective criterion, but on our perception by the Speaker. If he sees us, we exist. If he does not see us, we do not exist.

Therefore the TNP universe, at least, conforms to a subjective idealist theory.

I conclude this lecture with two practical outworkings of this theory:

1. Existence is fragile. You may say "cogito ergo sum" but the reality is in fact, "Orator cogit ergo sum" - The speaker thinks, therefore I am.,

2. Don't piss off the Speaker. Ever. He can kill you with a thought.
:lol: :rofl:

Well, done, sir! Well done!

You must also consider these four propositions:

René Descartes was drinking in a bar late one night. The bartender says to him, "Would you like another drink, René?

René replies, "I think not", and promptly vanishes.

Why is there something as opposed to nothing?

Whether or not a tree falling in the woods makes a noise or not largely depends upon whether or not one is under that tree when it falls.

4. Does perception alter reality? See: The Double Slit / Two Slit Experiment. No puns intended.

Lord Nwahs:
Fenichi:
After spending eight months in a classroom doesn't compare to what I read in eight minutes.
...you live in the classroom? huh.
Reading 600 pages about horsemanship does not compare with five minutes on a horse's back is what he is saying.

That is, unless one is a three-day eventer or rides in jumper classes. :P

Well played Flemingovia! Counterfactually speaking, if Scumshire ever did adopt a state religion (we are resolutely secular), we'd adopt Flemingovianism in honour of your fine post.

Back