Admission of Alunya to the Security Council

Alunya

TNPer
TNP Nation
Alunya
I'm going to address some of the concerns rather directly. I would have done so in the appropriate thread, but circumstances dictate that I must do so here.

I resigned from the Regional Assembly on the basis of one clause in one law. As I stated, "My religious beliefs require that I reject the designation of Flemingovianism as the religion and church of The North Pacific. My oath as a Member of the Regional Assembly requires obedience to the laws of The North Pacific. I find I cannot, in good conscience, accept the validity of Chapter 7, Section 7.3, Clause 14 of the Codified Law of the North Pacific."

I have great respect for both oaths and laws -- but I reserve the right to adhere to my personal beliefs in the face of any law, in real life or in-game. Given the conflict between my beliefs and the law, I did the correct thing and resigned from the Regional Assembly. Doing so comes at a great personal cost in-game, as I am no longer empowered to introduce or vote upon legislation,; to stand for office, ministries and ambassadorships; or to vote in any election. Ironically, the loss of such privileges are cited as penalties to which one may be sentenced for gross negligence, the catch-all used to prosecute oath-breakers -- the only differences being that such losses are limited in duration for convicted criminals, and that criminals get a trial.

If I had no respect for either the law or the oath, I could quite easily have kept quiet and broken both, and no one would be the wiser.

As for the oath required of Security Council members, I would have absolutely no problem swearing it. That oath does not demand obedience to all the laws of The North Pacific, and my own personal non-recognition of the validity of Chapter 7, Section 7.3, Clause 14 of the Codified Law of the North Pacific has no bearing whatsoever on the powers, rights and responsibilities of a Security Council member.

I am not part of any interlocking directorships across multiple regions, whether game-created or user-created regions. As such, I don't have the history of many others who are in positions of power, and this is why I am not well known to them. With me, what you see is all there is. My only interest lies with The North Pacific.

It is true that at the moment every Security Council member is also a member of the Regional Assembly. I would be too, and if ever the rest of you see fit to find some legal mechanism whereby I do not have to violate my conscience to be part of the legislature once more, you will find me more than ready to reapply.

TNP Nation [c] Profile [c] RA Membership? [c] Oath? [c] Great Bights Mum [c] Great Bights Mum [c]Yes, RA #15 .[c] Yes .[c] Former English Colony [c] Former English colony [c]Yes, RA #369 .[c] Yes .[c] Novare Res [c] Romanoffia [c]Yes, RA #7 .[c] Yes .[c] McMasterdonia [c] McMasterdonia [c]Yes, RA #11 .[c] Yes .[c] Grosseschnauzer [c] Grosseschnauzer [c]Yes, RA #1 .[c] Yes .[c] Democatic Donkeys [c] Democratic Donkeys [c]Yes, RA #61 .[c] Yes .[c] Ator People [c] Ator People [c]Yes, RA #268 .[c] Yes .[c] God n Country n Byron [c] Lord Byron [c]Yes, RA #36 .[c] Yes .[c] HMS Unicorn [c] r3naissanc3r [c]Yes, RA #254 .[c] No .[c] Kiwitaicho [c] Kiwi [c]Yes, RA #20 .[c] Yes .[c] Olvern [c] Lord Nwahs [c]Yes, RA #241 .[c] Yes .[c] Alunya [c] Alunya [c] No .[c] Yes .
I will continue to keep all the other laws of The North Pacific as I have done so since my resignation -- I do not need to be under oath to do what I know is right.

No matter what the outcome of this vote, I pledge that I will continue to work to improve the community of The North Pacific. It isn't an oath, of course -- it is just what I do.

>^,,^<
Alunya

2014 Sept. 16 Note::
I just found the archived thread of old oaths of office, and have corrected the above table by referencing those oaths for Security Council members. The oversight was unintentional and I apologize to those whom I mistakenly listed as not having posted their oaths.

Alunya:
I resigned from the Regional Assembly on the basis of one clause in one law. As I stated, "My religious beliefs require that I reject the designation of Flemingovianism as the religion and church of The North Pacific. My oath as a Member of the Regional Assembly requires obedience to the laws of The North Pacific. I find I cannot, in good conscience, accept the validity of Chapter 7, Section 7.3, Clause 14 of the Codified Law of the North Pacific."
I still really do not understand this position. One can oppose and object to a law, and find it to be invalid and unconstitutional, without being in active violation of the law.

The law does not say "All Regional Assembly members must designate Flemingovianism as the official religion of TNP" - if it did, I could see your point. But it doesn't do that. It is in no way affected by whether or not you, as an individual, agree with or use or accept that designation. It's the official religion of TNP even if you say it isn't. It is literally impossible to disobey that law, or any of the other laws in the culture section.

Well, you could violate this one:
4. The arms of the North Pacific may not be used except to represent the North Pacific or an official regional entity.
But I totally agree that Alunya is not violating the law, and didn't violate it as an RA member either. Think about if someone didn't recognize the TNP flag as the official flag of TNP. It would still be the official flag, and they wouldn't be breaking the law by not recognizing it.

Alunya - I find your principled stance refreshing and I will proudly state as much.

I also think we need minds like that on the Security Council and I wish you luck in your pursuit.

I have always held the view that the security council defends our constitutional government and laws. I do not see how anyone can say "I am resigning the Regional Assembly in protest at those laws, but I want to join the Security Council to defend them."

Plus, I agree with COE and SillyString's comments above about the logical inconsistency in the resignation.

IRL, I am a christian. Church, beliefs, values, faith - the whole nine yards. Here I play a game. It does not compromise my beliefs any more that driving my children to bankruptcy every time we play monopoly compromises my beliefs.

Back