Not the Speaker
-
Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
Olvern
Discord
lordnwahs
So yeah, I'm doing this again. Just like last time, it's kind of a last-minute decision.

Full disclosure: I'm going to be quite busy this term IRL, but I have been around the Speaker's Office for long enough to know some things about the office, how it works, and the kind of work that a Speaker has to do, that I shouldn't have much problems. Administrative work has always been my strong point, and the five months in which I was Deputy Speaker from January to May this year, sorting through citizenry and RA lists, doing vote counts and keeping track of threads, has been surprisingly cathartic.

So yeah, ask me anything.

You actually have my full support Olvey! I accepted my nomination because no one else apparently wanted to run. :lol: And you will probably do a much better job. So, yeah, vote Olvey! :D

SillyString:
Who would you want to make your deputy speaker(s) if elected?
I'll make a call for deputy speakers immediately after I get elected, and I'll vet through the list for who I think are up for the job. Can't deny that I'd like some of those from my current culture team to join in, especially those who have been far more active on the forum than I have been as of late :P

mcmasterdonia:
Would you like to be Delegate one day?
Not in the near future. By near future I do mean next few years. Being delegate is a lot more work than being speaker or being a cabinet minister, and the near future IRL isn't going to be too kind to me.

Malvad Acronis:
You actually have my full support Olvey! I accepted my nomination because no one else apparently wanted to run. :lol: And you will probably do a much better job. So, yeah, vote Olvey! :D
Thanks, Malvad! :D

I think you'd manage fine as Speaker Olvern. You were a Deputy Speaker under Zyvet, so it's not like you didn't learn anything. My question to you is:

White, dark, or spiced? :tnprum:

If you could draft any TNPer, living or dead, to be your deputy speaker, who would you pick?

As Speaker, would you make any changes to the standing procedures, or urge the RA to pass any changes to the RA rules?

What is the single worst clause on the books in TNP, in your opinion? Feel free to draw from any part of the Constibillocode.

SillyString:
If you could draft any TNPer, living or dead, to be your deputy speaker, who would you pick?
If I could draft any TNPer, past or present to be deputy speaker, I'd probably draft JAL Nierr (esentially JAL's puppet anyway /s) because of his surprising godlike capabilities in sorting out details when he was working with me in the Culture Ministry and during the previous Justice Election. Controversial figure maybe, but the role of Deputy Speaker has been held by enough silly people that it really doesn't matter. Heck, this is the Speaker's Office we're talking about, if there's one place that doesn't attract controversy in TNP, it has to be here.

As Speaker, would you make any changes to the standing procedures, or urge the RA to pass any changes to the RA rules?
As to whether I'd make any changes to standing procedures or urge the RA to make changes to the RA rules, I think standing procedures work as is right now. I remember there was some discussion a few months back on quorum and abstaining from votes and the like, but I think it's better to let the RA decide what is best for itself (especially since changing that requires a constitutional amendment, see Article 2 of the Constitution), although my personal opinion is that the current voting system doesn't have to be more unnecessarily complex for the sake of complexity.

I might consider adding an amendment mandating the Speaker to inform inactive nations, meeting a certain threshold before the one that the Speaker has to remove them from the RA (as defined in the Legal Code, Clause 6.1.14) that they are at risk of losing their RA membership, but that's about that.

What is the single worst clause on the books in TNP, in your opinion? Feel free to draw from any part of the Constibillocode.
The last question is a tough one. I could talk about the divisiveness of Section 7.3 of the Legal Code, but that has been talked to death about for the last few months anyway. I think that a 'single worst clause' has to be either one that is way too long for its own sake (something that I'm genuinely surprised I have yet to encounter) or something very ill-defined. I can't say that I've made up my mind about it, 100%, but I think that the Sanity Clause in the Security Council Law (Clause 5.5.28 of the Legal Code) allows for way too many theoretical situations. Just how do we define 'reasonable'? Maybe a re-look is in order? That's my pick for worst clause, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

This would be my choice, just cause it's such a grammatical mess:
26. A region or organization "at war" with TNP is one which has made a formal declaration, or made acts of war against The North Pacific, or vice versa, as deemed by a three-fifths majority vote of the Regional Assembly.

Mine is this one:
Every operative sentence must be a numbered clause, Clauses must be numbered consecutively within a Chapter beginning with the number 1.

Technically it's the first part, since it's an absurd requirement that is completely ignored in practice, but thanks to a great typo the whole thing is technically one improperly punctuated sentence.

SillyString:
Mine is this one:
Every operative sentence must be a numbered clause, Clauses must be numbered consecutively within a Chapter beginning with the number 1.

Technically it's the first part, since it's an absurd requirement that is completely ignored in practice, but thanks to a great typo the whole thing is technically one improperly punctuated sentence.
In theory could this
If a minor error is found in this Legal Code, the Speaker will update it on the published instructions of the Court, unless a Regional Assembly member objects within five days.
be used to fix such grammatical/punctuation errors?

Back