Recommendation drafting: Individual Working Freedoms

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
Individual Working Freedoms

Category: Advancement of Industry | Area of Effect: Labor Deregulation | Proposed by: Gruenberger Overseas Affiliate Territory | Resolution link | World Assembly forum thread

Description: The World Assembly,

Strongly reaffirming its commitment to individual liberty,

Believing that individuals should be as free as possible from undue government interference in making decisions governing their personal lives,

Convinced that the issues of when, how often, and for how long an individual works should remain an issue for private negotiation between employer and employee,

Dissenting from the view that one standard working week can be determined as a universal diktat, given the diversity of national economies, the particulars of industries working on cyclical, seasonal or other irregular working patterns, and the varying conditions, demographic, environmental, developmental, and otherwise, of member nations,

Considering any attempt to impose a universal manacle of working time restriction to be a grossly unfair abrogation of individual freedoms,

Desirous of reaching a fair compromise on the issue:

1. Encourages all nations to grant their people the greatest possible degree of freedom in determining their terms of employment, with specific regard to working time;

2. Calls upon all nations to respect the rights of individuals to be free to make choices about their terms of employment, and equally of individuals to seek representation or counsel during such negotiations;

3. Mandates the removal of working time regulations that serve only to reduce individual liberty and that do not serve any other purpose;

4. Reserves the right of all nations to choose whether to set specific regulations on workweeks and working time in the general public interest;

5. Promotes a healthy harmony of national and individual rights in economic decision-making.

Let's try to draft a recommendation on this tonight, so that I can send it out before it goes to vote.

As I said in the voting thread, I am pleasantly surprised by this. I was expecting a new Internationale :P . I am generally a proponent of work hour deregulation, supporting the imposition of at most minimal measures to prevent employee extortion. And work hour regulation is certainly something that should be left to each nation individually, given the unique nature and needs of national economies. So, I believe we should support this.

I'm so sorry I didn't write anything up for this, I completely missed that this was even coming up to vote. Either way, my recommendation would have been very similar to yours, so I'm not too upset. Sorry for the negligence, won't happen again! :blush:

Somewhat disappointing that I had to change my vote, but looks like it doesn't matter now as it's on its way to passing.

Back