[private] GBM's RA membership and AG vote

SillyString

TNPer
-
-
So we have another RFR... yay. :P

Do either of you have any thoughts you want to contribute?

For myself, I think we should rule that r3n did the correct thing. It has been the practice of the Speaker's Office as long as I've been here that members are removed if they are in violation at the time of the removal - if they cease to exist but are resurrected before the Office notices, or if they miss enough votes to be removed and then vote, their membership is intact.

The reasoning behind this is both technical and legal. From a legal perspective, I believe it might be an ex post facto violation to remove someone from the RA who is currently in compliance with the requirements. There is no provision for the removal of such members. It is also, in my opinion, more in line with the wording of the law, which says that the Speaker removes membership and not just updates the membership rolls. From a technical perspective, it's unenforceable to rule otherwise. The script that the Speaker uses runs when it is ordered to run, and it checks only current status. It does not record if a nation CTE'd or moved regions between times when it was run - and therefore there are two potential consequences of any ruling that says that membership is forfeit at the point of violation. Either it forces the Speaker to check all RA nations, every day, thus eliminating the point of the script, or - more likely in my opinion, since the script is too useful to be set aside - it means that the ruling will be unfairly applied to those whom others in the region notice CTEing/leaving (which is more likely the more well-known their name is). Additionally, it creates less confusion with already-concluded matters. If I CTE for five minutes and nobody notices, and then a month later somebody realizes it and reports it to the Speaker, must all votes I cast in the meantime be discarded? Should they be counted? It's not obvious what the correct thing to do is, and it's important in cases where the vote was close or quorum was only barely met.

There is, to be fair, a contrasting concern with saying membership removal is effective when the Speaker notices, in that it allows for back-room whisperings to ensure someone's RA status is not lost. However, I believe such concerns cannot be eliminated from the proposed alternative - the Speaker could notice that someone came out of compliance for five minutes and decide to sit on that information, then bring it out at some politically advantageous time to prevent someone from running for office or to suddenly forcibly remove them from it.

We cannot guard against people engaging in politicking, so we must rule on the law.

As for "promptly", I think we must hand that back without a ruling. It is the job of the RA to determine if the Speaker (or any other official) is acting sufficiently promptly, and there are any number of mechanisms (petition, legislation, censure, recall) to address that concern if it feels there is a problem.

So. Thoughts?

SillyString:
For myself, I think we should rule that r3n did the correct thing. It has been the practice of the Speaker's Office as long as I've been here that members are removed if they are in violation at the time of the removal - if they cease to exist but are resurrected before the Office notices, or if they miss enough votes to be removed and then vote, their membership is intact.
I would have to agree with this. When I was Vice Delegate a while ago, Eluvatar became ineligible to be a member of the Security Council, but by the time I caught it, he had already brought his endorsement count within the legally required range. As a result, I didn't remove him for his previous status of non-compliance because he had fixed it by that point.

However, on the flip side, I do recall being removed from the RA while I was Delegate due to missed votes, even though I had just voted and someone noticed after the fact. As a result my vote was thrown out and I was removed from the RA list.

Seems to be a double standard of the law being unevenly applied.

At the moment, I suppose it is up to the discretion of whoever is running things - our ruling has an opportunity to clarify that.

As another instance of support, I notice that Aba is not removing GBM's membership in the SC under similar reasoning.

Nothing from Kiwi, so here's my draft:

The Court has two questions under its consideration. The first, dealing with the nature of RA membership, asks when that membership is lost - is it at the exact moment a violation occurs, or is it once that violation is noticed by the Speaker's Office?

When considering this question, the Court weighed four factors. The first is the language of the section in question, which states:
13. The Speaker will promptly remove any Regional Assembly members whose removal is ordered by the Court, or whose nation in The North Pacific leaves or ceases to exist.
14. The Speaker's office will promptly remove any Regional Assembly members who fail to log in to the North Pacific forum for over 30 consecutive days; or who have not voted for 20 consecutive days and have missed four consecutive Regional Assembly votes to enact, amend or repeal laws, as determined by the time they closed.
The wording of these clauses does not definitively answer the question, but it does lean toward one side. They are blunt, assigning direct responsibility for their duties to the Speaker, and declaring that the Speaker's actions are a necessary component - and not an afterthought - of ensuring the law is followed. Because these clauses are phrased as they are, focusing on the Speaker's duties rather than simply declaring that Regional Assembly membership is lost under certain criteria, the Court finds tentative support for the latter position.

As admission and removal are two sides of the same coin, the Court also notes the wording of the RA admission clauses:
6. The Speaker will reject applicants who fail an evaluation by either forum administration or the Vice Delegate.
7. If an applicant is rejected for failing an evaluation by the Vice Delegate, the Regional Assembly will immediately hold a majority vote on whether to uphold the rejection.
8. The Regional Assembly may overturn a previous decision to uphold the rejection of an applicant by majority vote.
9. The Speaker will accept all other applicants with valid applications.
10. The Speaker will process applications within 14 days. If an applicant has not been accepted or rejected within that time, they will be automatically accepted to the Regional Assembly.
Despite the fact that the Speaker has very strict limits on when an applicant is to be denied and when they are to be accepted, under these clauses the Speaker still possesses the final duty of action. An applicant is not accepted after passing the security checks, nor rejected after failing them, until the Speaker declares that such is so. Despite the Speaker's lack of discretion in the decision, their statements on the matter are explicitly performative - in contrast with the passive change of status allowed for by 6.1.10.

Second, the Court took into consideration the existing practice of the Speaker's Office. According to the testimony of the previous two Speakers, Zyvetskistaahn and Crushing Our Enemies, as well as a former Deputy Speaker, PaulWallLibertarian42, it has been the practice of the Speaker's office for over a year and a half to follow the latter interpretation. That the Speaker's Office has, for such a significant period of time, held a consistent position on the matter lends weight to the Court's tentative reading of the Legal Code. We are loathe to interfere with that practice without considerable legal justification.

Third, the Court considered each interpretation's potential for abuse, should any individual with the inclination to do so ever take office as Speaker. As a number of briefs mentioned, there is risk in declaring that membership depends on the Speaker's Office noticing a violation. It is possible for a Speaker to use such an interpretation to immediately remove members they dislike, while quietly alerting members they prefer and allowing them to rectify the problem.

However, the opposite interpretation is similarly open for abuse. A Speaker could pretend not to notice a violation, just to keep someone in the RA. They could get away with this easily in many cases, particularly with less prominent members, whose national events are unlikely to attract public notice. This is true even if the Speaker genuinely does not notice a violation - TNPers are far more likely to notice a well-known nation CTE and resurrect than a relatively unknown, new RA member. Moreover, this interpretation opens up a much more serious possibility for abuse, and it is this: The Speaker could use prior noncompliance as a weapon to disrupt a political opponent - for example, by unveiling the fact that a candidate in an election temporarily was out of compliance with the requirements months prior, thus invalidating their candidacy without sufficient time for them to rejoin and be eligible again. Or, alternatively, the Speaker could use this as a blackmail tool, threatening to remove someone's membership at a critical juncture based on prior noncompliance unless they act a certain way.

Both of these options are open to some abuse, but the largest risk of it comes from allowing the Speaker to impose penalties on RA members for noncompliance despite them being in compliance at the time of the punishment. This gives the Speaker the inappropriate ability to determine the setting and circumstances of a member's removal from the Regional Assembly. The Bill of Rights prohibits ex post facto laws; it is in this same spirit that the removal of Regional Assembly members who are in compliance with all membership requirements is and ought to be illegal.

Finally, the Court considered what is and is not possible for the Speaker's Office, taking into account the law and the tools at their disposal. We note that the wording of 6.1.13 and 6.1.14 is identical with respect to the operative clause, and that therefore the Speaker's obligations under each must be interpreted to be identical - that is, we must rule that membership is lost at the same point under each clause.

The former interpretation runs into trouble here. Although it is possible, using NationStates tools, to determine a nation's existence and movement history, it is not possible to do the same with a member's activity history on this forum. The Speaker's office is enjoined to remove RA members who fail to log in for more than 30 days, and yet, if they do not see this occur and the member in question logs in before they do see it, there is no way for this to be discovered. Indeed, if the nation in question was not themselves aware of exactly how long they had been away, they cannot even be called to task in one's imagination for failing to acknowledge their loss of membership and resign. To rule that their membership was lost, and should be removed, is to issue an unenforceable ruling.

As for the relevant tools, the Court notes that the Speaker's Office owns a script which regularly checks each RA member's most recent activity and the location of its nation. While this script catches violations that exist at the time it is run, it cannot look back in time and see what a nation or member did earlier. This script greatly enhances the functioning of the Office, and is what allows it to carry out its duties under the law. Should the Court rule in favor of the former interpretation, this Script would become useless, and the Speaker's Office would be obligated to manually check the nation and forum account of every RA member - a tedious and time consuming task that is quite likely to go undone.

Drawing on all of the above factors, the Court rules that statements from the Speaker's Office on the state of an individual's membership in the RA are explicitly performative. That is, membership is neither gained nor lost until the Speaker's Office acknowledges that fact, with the sole exception of the two week limit on the waiting period for RA applicants.

Additionally, the Court rules that when RA members are removed from the Regional Assembly for failing to meet at least one of the requirements laid out in 6.1.13 and 6.1.14, they must be failing to meet those requirements at the time of their removal.

Second, the Court considered whether the Speaker met the requirements to act "promptly" to remove members of the RA not in compliance with the requirements.

"Promptly" is an interesting word. It is distinct from "immediately", in that it allows some time to pass between an event and its response, but it is also distinct from any particular stated time period, in that it is unspecific as to how much time is permitted.

Since the law is deliberately unspecific, the Court would grossly overstep itself to provide a specific time period within which the Speaker - or any other government official bound by a "promptly" clause (of which nine are scattered throughout all three governing documents) - must act. Additionally, there is no time period within which a member could not come out of compliance and then back into it again before being noticed.

The Court therefore rules that whether a government official is carrying out their duties "promptly" is a matter for the Regional Assembly to judge. There are any number of options open to RA members who feel that laxness has occurred, from writing a petition to the official in question, to drafting legislation to change those clauses, to outright recall.

My apologies for the delay - I haven't stopped to think at all lately.

I agree with the draft in its conclusions and principles. I suspect it's a bit longwinded in places than it needs to be but it does the job.

Thank you SS for drafting it - I'm happy for it to be posted as is.

Well if people are going to keep filing requests for review, I'm going to drone on and on at them until they stop. :P

Back