Registering Citizens

punk d

TNPer
-
-
Recently, it was discovered that no government official is officially (:P) tasked with maintaining the list of citizens. As a citizen of TNP, I find this troubling and would like to rectify this oversight.

I would like to request the members of the RA pass legislation detailing who is responsible for maintaining the list of citizens. Even if that person is not the Speaker or is some newly created position, I do believe that ensuring the accuracy of the citizenship list is an important task. I will leave to the RA how to update the laws to confer this responsibility onto someone, but I would like to the RA take up this issue.

Yours,
Punk D, TNP citizen

I think PD means citizens in terms of masking on the forum. :P

Actually, PD has hit on a rather interesting idea that could be modified for informational purposes:

I'd have to look at how this type of forum type is coded (not really a big problem), and then simply create a script that scans the "members" and then retrieves masking qualities from publicly displayed information. You could probably build it right into the forum itself and have a self-updating list. Doing it manually would be a real PITA in terms of time needed.

Romanoffia:
I think PD means citizens in terms of masking on the forum. :P
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/members/?search_type=start&name=&group=1502851&sort=name&order=a

I'm not (necessarily) trying to be a dick here, but it seems that there are no actual qualifications necessary for gaining the citizen mask, correct? So any nation in TNP can post here and request to be masked as a citizen. And this forum has this nice handy function already available for anyone that wishes to see who is currently masked as a Citizen.

If the primary concern is that some people are masked as Citizens when they have left TNP or NS then the forum administration could very easily just look at that list and state that any person not logging in within X time period will have their mask removed.

If the primary concern is that some people are masked as Citizens when they have left TNP or NS then the forum administration

that is not the concern. The concern is that if someone leaves the RA but likes to remain a citizen the mechanism may not always be so smooth. I am hoping someone will take up the mantle to check the registered citizens listing on the forum regularly and just like with the RA members track updates.

I'm not really concerned about people leaving the region and making sure maskings are updated. that seems to already be happening.

I don't think this is necessary. Admin have done it for a while now and we liaise with the Speakers office as necessary about removals.

Since we do keep a list of citizens, it'll be good if admins notify us of additions to said list, especially if any of us in the Speaker's Office aren't paying as much attention as we should :P

Lord Nwahs:
Since we do keep a list of citizens, it'll be good if admins notify us of additions to said list, especially if any of us in the Speaker's Office aren't paying as much attention as we should :P
Where is this list? I believe your predecessors said it wasn't being kept nor was it the responsibility of the Speaker's Office to keep such a list?

Said list is on the Regional Assembly Membership List here. While it isn't the responsibility of the Speaker's Office to maintain such a list (the only legally mandated list we are supposed to keep is the one including official RA members), I do think that the other list could be useful in keeping track of other members and making sure that masking remains up-to-date, and I personally do not mind maintaining such a list while being Speaker (although not as a main priority).

I do think it would be good for the Speaker to maintain the citizens' list and I'm glad you intend to make it part of your Speakership.

Is the takeaway here that perhaps admins should PM the Speaker when they mask a Citizen directly (rather than remasking a former RA member as Citizen?)

Can I suggest a different method than PM? A thread makes more sense I think for two reasons:

1) If the Speaker gets caught up with Real Life (tm), they would not need to worry about forwarding PMs to their deputy. Or if the Speaker loses office or is recalled for inactivity, the new Speaker will have an easy reference for what might need updating.

2) Better recordkeeping, if someone wants to look up their admission history or timeline, prove they're a citizen, check on the status of someone else, etc.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Well, there's already a thread for citizenship masking, isn't there?

EDIT: This is the thread I'm referring to.
Indeed. We post in that thread when we have added citizens, it seems reasonable that the Speaker could check that thread - rather than creating another.

I don't know if I'd say citizen record keeping is a non-existent problem, but I will agree that the solution is obvious!

Back