American Military Tradition

Romanoffia

Garde à l'eau!
Here's an interesting video of an American military tradition that is unfortunately fading out. The Fife and Drum.

[flash]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43LKHuQWsBs[/flash]​

It is unfortunate that Americans are beginning to forget, and perhaps have forgotten, the original purpose of this country. Lose your traditions, you lose your culture, history and sense of purpose.

Romanoffia:
It is unfortunate that Americans are beginning to forget, and perhaps have forgotten, the original purpose of this country. Lose your traditions, you lose your culture, history and sense of purpose.
Hey you know what else is traditional in your country? Slavery, lynching, oppression of ethnic minorities, suppression of trade unions, interference in other nations democratic affairs, etc etc :P

Also what do the Fife and Drums have to do with the original purpose of your country?

Nierr:
Hey you know what else is traditional in your country? Slavery, lynching, oppression of ethnic minorities, suppression of trade unions, interference in other nations democratic affairs, etc etc :P

Also what do the Fife and Drums have to do with the original purpose of your country?
I do not think that there is any country on earth that can look back on the entirety of its history with unqualified pride.

Personally I would much rather armies were improving their fife and drum playing than getting better at shooting people.

I completely agree.

I do not, however, see how fife and drum playing fits in with 'the original purpose of' America.

flemingovia:
Nierr:

I do not think that there is any country on earth that can look back on the entirety of its history with unqualified pride.

Personally I would much rather armies were improving their fife and drum playing than getting better at shooting people.
I completely agree with that assessment.

I have a friend who is with the HCav visiting for a couple of cavalry competitions (mostly tent pegging/SAA/SLR) who made the comment today at the horse show that "it's a pity that old military traditions such as nice uniforms, pomp and ceremony are absent on the field of battle these days. It would make war a more civilised affair. No one really wants to get their nice gear all messed up."

And he has a point that coincides with your sentiments on war. More fife and drum music (so to speak) would be better.

I have a private and unrealistic view that heads of state / monarchs / chiefs of staff ought to be required to personally lead their troops into battle in any war they declare.

I think if this were requites it would be a big step towards world peace.

Back